Author Topic: Smart Home  (Read 4119 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Smart Home
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »
Your garage can work with or without the voice setup. Several garage door operator companies make systems that connect to a server, off premise, that will do what you want to do. The one I have is Craftsman. Chamberlain makes several too. I might add that Chamberlain makes Craftsman.

If you have an existing connection to the internet then these setups are pretty straight forward for any novice. You install the garage door opener just as you normally would. You will have a small box that is a controller for the opener that connects to your router or hub on your home network. You then go online to the website specified for your door opener manufacturer and follow the step by step instructions. All that exist of is setting up a free account the entering information that is located on the bottom of the controller. After that you download the app for the controllerfrom playstore or applestore, depending on your phone type. Install it, open it and sign in using the user name and password you setup online.

After that you can use your phone to open, close... or when you leave and wonder... did I close that door... you can check it on your phone. With Craftsman it keeps a history so I can see when it opened and closed and how long it was in each state along with times it actuated. If a friend stops at your home to pick something up, you can open the garage. It is safe too. When you use your phone to close, the light blinks several times as a warning then it will actuate to close.

Mine is a 12 volt and has a battery backup in it. If power drops it can actuate  20 times with no external power.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 09:30:01 PM »
Here a smart way to save 1000s per year in heating or air conditioning. I watched this video awhile back, I'm thinking to sell and move on larger lot, install a geothermal set up like this. The ground temperature stays around 50-55 degrees year around  bellow 8-10 ft, from ecuator to subarctic, works both ways for cooling or heating in hot or cold climate.
https://youtu.be/ZD_3_gsgsnk

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »
My neighbor has an in ground system he designed and installed some 20 years a go.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 01:56:51 AM »
Mics on the devices listen but do nothing till they hear the correct phrase. ---
Yes? What about the smart TV's sending every word to the Far-East manufacturer "to learn different dialects for better understanding voice commands"? Or Vizio, gathering data about your TV usage and selling it to advertisers?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »
Yes? What about the smart TV's sending every word to the Far-East manufacturer "to learn different dialects for better understanding voice commands"? Or Vizio, gathering data about your TV usage and selling it to advertisers?

Most all TVs and other devices use third party speech recognition like google.
You turn that on or off when doing setup. If off it may have some troubles understanding you at times or not work at all. You also give up some options like your favorites. You can also turn off the ability for most TVs to track your shopping and browsing.

The only way to be absolutely safe with your TV is to disconnect it from the internet. This is also true for anything connected to the internet.... including your computer.

Then you need to put in a supply of food, water, and etc. Board up the doors and windows and wait.  :bolt:
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 06:17:36 AM »
Generally the toaster manufacturer does nothing. They either connect to your network or through to a larger network. My a/c connects through my network to it's own base. Access to it is secured by that company. I access it through my phone and can do  anything you can do standing at the thermostat. Change temp, flip a/c to heat, turn fans on and off, set schedules, raise or lower humidity. My garage is the same way.

First of all, your phone is not secure.  Ask BMW how well that worked out for them when they endorsed an app which allowed a phone to control their car and hackers stole hundreds of BMW's (46 in my neighborhood alone last year) by copying the cell signals and duplicating them to take control of the cars.  It is not hard to do.  It is a basic repeater.

Other applications used the serial number of the car as the security key and hackers just ran through them as they drove through neighborhoods watching for cars to light up.  Again, not hard to do.

Basically, anything going over the air is easy to hack.

Hackers are not looking for ways to hack those IoT devices to control them.  They are looking at data collection from the hacked network.  Once you get into a LAN, they are mostly easy to move around in and snoop on.

Oh, you never know what devices may or may not have microphones and cameras.  Most new televisions do, for example.

Mics on the devices listen but do nothing till they hear the correct phrase. For google home it is "OK Google" or "Hey Google". Then it will take that phrase through its voice recognition, which is at google.  This is the same for all voice recognition devices. Even voice remotes do this off premise.

By default it listens for command or question for a very short time then reacts. You can set it so it listens after reacting for a continued conversation... another question or command.

You can have them react to every voice in your family differently. When I talk to it, any list, timers, meetings, or calls are stored on my Note 8 phone. When my wife talks it stores her items on her phone.

At any time you can go online to your private settings on google and see anything you have conversed with google home. From there you can clear it all or keep it. The purpose of this is so you can see exactly what it picks up day to day.

They are always listening.  They just do not react unless they hear key phrases.  You cannot know what is being recorded, or what it not being recorded without analyzing the data leaving the device.  Of course, if it is over a wireless connection, then anyone can record the raw data and use it to take control of the device.  It does not matter if it is encrypted, or not when it comes to using the raw data.  Wireless is not secure.  Never has been, never will be.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:23:25 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 07:22:53 AM »
Most everything connects through wifi or hardwired if you decide to. The phone is not required for a smart home but uses apps to connect if you decide to use it. Apps are as secure as the developer/company makes them. We hear of bank systems being broken in to and other large monetary institutions, even games as they keep info with peoples card numbers.  That happens as there are thieves about. Most folks around here have wireless garage doors. As time passes security increases. Garage wireless went digital then to rolling codes. Same with remotes on cars.

Just having access to my phone will get you my phone. You need my fingerprint to access most things on it unless you catch it awake in the few minutes after I touch it. Most you can do against criminals is lock your doors, make sure your belongings are secured, and keep your guns handy.

Houses not connected are broken in to also. It is just a matter of convenience and how far you wish to go making life more comfortable.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:24:30 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »
You are missing the critical part.  Anyone with a wireless repeater can copy anything leaving your phone wirelessly and echo it.  There is no defense against it.  There is nothing a developer can do to make that app more secure.

It is the nature of the wireless connection and there are more and more people taking advantage of it everyday.

Last year, I attended a demonstration of this.  A man walked down a street and every garage door being controlled by a phone was opened by him.  All the pocket device had to do was to trigger a security key change message which initiated with the phone and when the exchange was done, he had the security key he needed to apply to the data and open the door.  It took only a few seconds.  There is no defense against it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:41:56 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
It is technology... it keeps on ebbing and growing.

The demonstration you witnessed, were the owners of thos garage doors standing right there? Were all the phones present?

I ask this as the garage door feature does not send a wireless signal out to your phone or even receive one.  The phone communicate wirelessly with a site with an app. Then the info is transmitted through some wire and wireless to the network at the home. Then at the home the garage is triggered just like using a remote.

I ask this wondering if all those phones had to be right there. Did they have to be activated through the security of the device and transmitting for him to control the doors?

Interesting to know those requirements. I spent my young years manipulating computers and not cell phones.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
Skuzzy, what do you think about the idea that Mastercard has to allow refrigerators to order food, and for smart cars (no passenger space) to make the food run to Wal-Mart, or Fresh Market? Is there any way this won't end up as a nightmare?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 10:10:21 AM »
Skuzzy, what do you think about the idea that Mastercard has to allow refrigerators to order food, and for smart cars (no passenger space) to make the food run to Wal-Mart, or Fresh Market? Is there any way this won't end up as a nightmare?

Samsung has a fridge with a screen. My nephew bought one and had it almost 2 months. The fridge was always breaking down. He returned it. The repair tech used it more than he did.

I stay away from samsung from experience. The only device I have.of theirs is my phone.

Any self driving vehicle that is not on a track will be dangerous.

My opinion of course.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
I am not tech adverse by any means. I've been dealing with electronics and computers since Fortran and Cobol were main use languages (think back to before the early Apple personal "computers") I was one of the first folks to go out and buy an Apple II once they hit the market. I refuse to have "smart" tech installed in my home. I dealt with enough thieves in my working days to not open that door for them. They will have to get into my house old school. I also secure items in my house and yes I know the vulnerabilities of home safes etc. but they are better than under the bed or in the closet. I don't even have a touch pad combo, dial is just fine thank you very much. I watch the alexa commercials on TV all the time but won't have one. I prefer to interface with amazon through my PC and or tablet / phone.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 11:16:55 AM »
I di some investigating online. I see where BMW and several other makers cars are being stolen using a repeater. This has been going on for awhile. That is the RF keyfob that only has to be present to open and start the vehicle.

The garage doors operate by RF also.

In the case of the keyfob, they have to be fairly close by. Thieves usually stand outside of a bedroom with a repeater while another checks the car.

I do not see anything about phones being involved with the bmw issue.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 01:00:50 PM »
Smart home = someone else owning your bank accounts and everything else. Never gonna happen in my home.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 02:56:05 PM »
Smart home = someone else owning your bank accounts and everything else. Never gonna happen in my home.

Well my home is going the smart route. I hope to be back in it soon. Living in the RV in the driveway going on a year. Dang hurricane Harvey.

I'll post experiences and maybe some pics as I go along. Folks can see what happens or don't happen.
80th FS "Headhunters"