Author Topic: Smart Home  (Read 4118 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Smart Home
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
It is technology... it keeps on ebbing and growing.

The demonstration you witnessed, were the owners of thos garage doors standing right there? Were all the phones present?

I ask this as the garage door feature does not send a wireless signal out to your phone or even receive one.  The phone communicate wirelessly with a site with an app. Then the info is transmitted through some wire and wireless to the network at the home. Then at the home the garage is triggered just like using a remote.

I ask this wondering if all those phones had to be right there. Did they have to be activated through the security of the device and transmitting for him to control the doors?

Interesting to know those requirements. I spent my young years manipulating computers and not cell phones.

I could not tell you if the phones were preset or not.  He used a repeater which had recorded the signal as it opened the doors from before.  He did demonstrate that one time and then went through the exercise of opening the remaining doors.

I know that the cars that were stolen from our neighborhood last year simply picked up the cell transmissions when people were in the house and they were opening the windows, or unlocking it, or starting the engine using the cell phone wifi signal.  Wifi does not have the range the cell signal does, but it goes far enough to cover a few houses.

The technology available to criminals is getting pretty impressive and the prices for it are coming down.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2018, 04:04:35 PM »
I could not tell you if the phones were preset or not.  He used a repeater which had recorded the signal as it opened the doors from before.  He did demonstrate that one time and then went through the exercise of opening the remaining doors.

I know that the cars that were stolen from our neighborhood last year simply picked up the cell transmissions when people were in the house and they were opening the windows, or unlocking it, or starting the engine using the cell phone wifi signal.  Wifi does not have the range the cell signal does, but it goes far enough to cover a few houses.

The technology available to criminals is getting pretty impressive and the prices for it are coming down.

Ahhh he was intercepting the RF from the openers then. Same as sitting outside home and when folks hit their garage door button, the turd grabs the code. They have been doing that almost as long as we have been pushing a button to open our garage.

The second item dealing with cars is actually RF related too. The keyless FOB is in the home somewhere. The turd only has to walk around outside till he picks up the signal on his repeater and then a second turd opens the door and starts the car. That is the keyless FOB. BMW says it is not their fault if criminals want to go that far. Actually there are a bunch of other vehicles with the same issue. Most any with a keyless FOB.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
The wifi vulnerability is due in part to improper configuration both logically and physically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 09:35:40 PM »
I have a phonograph that doubles as a Bluetooth player.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 12:18:09 AM »
The wifi vulnerability is due in part to improper configuration both logically and physically.

I think that applies to a lot of things in this world.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 06:25:45 AM »
Ahhh he was intercepting the RF from the openers then. Same as sitting outside home and when folks hit their garage door button, the turd grabs the code. They have been doing that almost as long as we have been pushing a button to open our garage.

The second item dealing with cars is actually RF related too. The keyless FOB is in the home somewhere. The turd only has to walk around outside till he picks up the signal on his repeater and then a second turd opens the door and starts the car. That is the keyless FOB. BMW says it is not their fault if criminals want to go that far. Actually there are a bunch of other vehicles with the same issue. Most any with a keyless FOB.

Actually it was BMW's fault, to a degree.  They used the vehicle ID number for the key.  All these particular set of thieves had to do was use a laptop broadcasting every vehicle ID until a car's lights flashed.  It was easy.  An phone app revealed the flaw.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2018, 10:44:39 AM »
Actually it was BMW's fault, to a degree.  They used the vehicle ID number for the key.  All these particular set of thieves had to do was use a laptop broadcasting every vehicle ID until a car's lights flashed.  It was easy.  An phone app revealed the flaw.

I agree that it is BMWs fault. BMW had just said it was not their fault. Test should have easily shown that using a repeater standing outside an owners home could boost the FOB to where the car thought it was much closer.

Anyone that has the keyless FOB is at risk to this kind of thief.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Update 1

We are still in out RV. Not moved into the house yet.
Smart items installed and connected ...
Master bed tempur pedic ergo controls
LG Instaview fridge
Daikin a/c heat with Honeywell thermostat
Craftsman garage door

All working as advertised so far.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:14:14 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
Shuff, if you like it keep it!  I've had a smart home for years,I'm always yelling at it to get off the phone I'm on the internet!!! :devil

All jokes aside I;m trying to convince my Mother to go this route,she has a sister who has installed a google home system and like you said she can control everything by voice or with the phone. Personally I'd keep it out of the bedroom but the convenience of being able to control heat\cooling and lights when you have mobility problems can be a life saver!  Not to mention all the other features.

:salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2018, 10:17:13 PM »
Shuff, if you like it keep it!  I've had a smart home for years,I'm always yelling at it to get off the phone I'm on the internet!!! :devil

All jokes aside I;m trying to convince my Mother to go this route,she has a sister who has installed a google home system and like you said she can control everything by voice or with the phone. Personally I'd keep it out of the bedroom but the convenience of being able to control heat\cooling and lights when you have mobility problems can be a life saver!  Not to mention all the other features.

:salute

You can turn any of them off with a touch on the top. They are then off and will not wait for catch phrases or respond.

A suggestion for anyone who might go this route. To try it out you can by the small google home for about $35 on sale. It can do anything the others can do but it's speaker is just good for speech and not music. All of them will connect to bluetooth speakers if you wish. Then when you play music it will be.on the speakers and not the google home.

The regular google home has excellent sound. The large one has absolutely amazing sound.

The regular google home is normally $129 but goes on sale for $99 pretty often. The other day they were $75 each while amazon was having its sale.

The big google home is $399 and does not go on sale much as it is very new.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 10:24:52 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »
I am worried that the tech is not fully mature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz3EXDcw5q0
Pies not kicks.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2018, 02:40:47 PM »
I used to make "Intelligent Buildings" for Johnson Controls, and Siemens before that.

If you want to make your own home more smarterer, I'd go with Arduino.  You can't beat the price and your options are essentially limitless.   I'm putting HID prox card entry on my garage and I've purchased everything but the door sensor.  So far my actual cost is around $25 total.   I'm having trouble finding the Door sensor I want because I'm holding out for a salvaged HID MaxiProx (parking lot model) and they seem to be in demand these days.

With Arduino you're looking at spending about $5 per controller for a UNO model (14 inputs/outputs)
They offer other models with more and less horsepower.  Shields can be purchased for added functionality and snap directly onto the control boards so no wiring is necessary.

For autonomous robotics they offer a controller called PixHawk that runs Ardupilot.  Here's a canadian farmer using one that he set up to drive his John Deere row crop tractor to and from his Combine & Semi Truck to load and unload grain during harvest time.   PixHawk comes with a fully redundant suite of sensors for GPS location, Inertial navigation etc....   It can drive/fly anything from a tilt rotor aircraft to a submarine to heavy equipment.
https://youtu.be/C69E9rm8x8M?t=2m29s

This arduino ENthusiast / machinist has seen the movie Aliens too many times if you ask me.  I mean, who in their right mind really needs a Autonomous AR-15 sentry gun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlG7rN-inI

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
Arduino is a lot of fun actually. With all the stuff I have going on I did not have time to be putting things together. You can do a lot with their tiny Uno boards. I do like the almost limitless options you have going that way. Your imagination is all that holds you back.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
 :rofl More "smarterer"  :D   I know...ya did it on porpoise  :devil  And you made intelligent buildings... :neener:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain