Author Topic: Smart Home  (Read 4122 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: Smart Home
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »
In the 1990s I was setting up "smarthomes" and eventually ended up at "AVSinc" wiring "conference rooms" and "operations centers" at the pentagon and military bases.

Back then, it was harder to set up but also impossible to "hack".

I agree that people using default settings are leaving the doors open.

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2018, 03:46:08 AM »
:rofl More "smarterer"  :D   I know...ya did it on porpoise  :devil  And you made intelligent buildings... :neener:

My 2nd grade teacher would say "you owe Robert 2 put ups"

How smart do you feel now Eisenstein? :neener:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »
We received the LG smart dishwasher. Stovetop, over the cooktop microwave, and double wall oven. Will not be installed until cabinet doors come in and all wood is stained and sealed.

First smart lights from Lifx arrived. Installed 2 for test. Pretty impressive.

I will be building my own suspended speakers for a bluetooth system using exciters. This system will be connected to google home via bluetooth and consist of exciters in every room controlled by the GH in that room. The google home system is also groupable so the same music can be played in any selection of rooms or different music in each room.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »
I've got everything hardwired to minimize stray radiation of any wavelength where I live.

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2018, 11:00:28 PM »
I've got everything hardwired to minimize stray radiation of any wavelength where I live.

EM Noise issues?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »

No.     I don't want microwaves spewing about my house.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2018, 12:23:55 AM »
Cover everything you put in the MICROWAVE, DUH. Keeps the splattering and spewing from making a mess :aok   :rofl Sorry,could help myself...back to normal programming :neener:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »

The likelihood of someone trying to see inside your home using your wifi bouncing around is close to nil. The technology to do that is still in it's infancy and does not give very good results. It is still something to keep an eye on though.

I am learning a few nuances to the voice commands. While you have some leeway on how you make commands it is in one's favor to be more diligent in your specifications. Case in point.... I intended to command "Master Bedroom Lights" to warm white. I left out the "lights". Command confirmation was "setting temperature to warm". I walked down the hall and the thermostat was set on 80°. I then said "set thermostat to 74°, confirmation was, "temperature set to 74°". The I made the correct command, "set Master Bedroom lights to warm white".

It just takes a little getting used to. As the house is finished up I will have the other items connected and active. Then we will see if I still have a full head of hair in a month or two.   :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »
Not going to happen in my home.  Too many security holes in all those IoT devices.
+1
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2018, 02:02:40 PM »

You do realize that we do not have any self driving cars yet.... don't you? Many people think we do. They are wrong.

As for locking your home with electronic locks, they are pretty secure. Not those of old. Check out Schlage offerings.

The self driving cars WILL be forced on us  :noid
As far as locks accessible from a smart phone and therefore the net.... the in itself
lends them vulnerability.... again  :noid
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2018, 04:34:38 PM »
The self driving cars WILL be forced on us  :noid
As far as locks accessible from a smart phone and therefore the net.... the in itself
lends them vulnerability.... again  :noid

I can bump most locks. That makes them more vulnerable than electronic. If you have a digital safe, most of them can be opened with a strong magnet in seconds. Nothing is totally secure. We only slow the turds to make them decide to find a softer target.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

This happens when you leave the default user and password on some routers... admin, password.    :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2018, 06:36:19 PM »
The likelihood of someone trying to see inside your home using your wifi bouncing around is close to nil. The technology to do that is still in it's infancy and does not give very good results. It is still something to keep an eye on though.

I am learning a few nuances to the voice commands. While you have some leeway on how you make commands it is in one's favor to be more diligent in your specifications. Case in point.... I intended to command "Master Bedroom Lights" to warm white. I left out the "lights". Command confirmation was "setting temperature to warm". I walked down the hall and the thermostat was set on 80°. I then said "set thermostat to 74°, confirmation was, "temperature set to 74°". The I made the correct command, "set Master Bedroom lights to warm white".

It just takes a little getting used to. As the house is finished up I will have the other items connected and active. Then we will see if I still have a full head of hair in a month or two.   :aok

It's about health.    As a MCSE since 1998 and having hooked up networks since 1984, I've got the security end well worked out.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2018, 08:53:23 AM »
It's about health.    As a MCSE since 1998 and having hooked up networks since 1984, I've got the security end well worked out.
Yes well we can't do much about all the stuff in our air.... participate or electronic. Whole towns and cities are wifi now here in Texas.
80th FS "Headhunters"