Author Topic: Smart Home  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Smart Home
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
Local business WiFi have been found to be a blessing and a curse.  Many local businesses are dropping it, in my area, as it seems people check in, but then never leave reducing the ability to make sales.

Our area is saturated with millennials and college people.  I differentiate simply due to the fact there really are some college kids who have a good head on their shoulders and are not looking for everything to be given to them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:11:11 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
It's about health.    As a MCSE since 1998 and having hooked up networks since 1984, I've got the security end well worked out.

I don't understand the health angle.  Radiation is a very broad term and encompasses many different types of energy.  Some of which we actually need just to stay alive.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2018, 04:37:22 PM »

Microwave radiation.

2.4 and 5 Ghz.

Online Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
MRI operates on freqs from approx. 42 MHz to 64 mhz... at least they did when
I was a field engineer for MRI 10 yrs ago
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
Microwave radiation.

2.4 and 5 Ghz.

No cordless phones then either.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2018, 09:27:34 PM »
Better stay out of retail stores, restaurants, hospitals, also. All have stuffs in the 2.4 ghz range
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 12:08:33 PM »
Added in Bond. I have 56" ceiling fans installed in all three bedrooms. I have not installed the two 60" fans in the vaulted living room yet as the beams need to be stained first. Bond allows me to control all aspects of my fans by voice. I can control speed and lighting.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 06:20:24 PM »
Anyone have their home setup as smart home? My home is getting close to the finish from its complete makeover after hurricane Harvey last year. I have been purchasing smart home gear left and right.

My base for voice command and control is google home. All the kitchen appliances are smart devices. Over cooktop microwave, cooktop, double wall oven, dishwasher, and fridge. All are LG and connect to my smart system with voice control. Fridge has the instaview window. All black stainless.

Master bedroom features tempur-pedic split king with full controls that connect to my smart system.

Lights in all rooms will be voice controlled and most will be 16 mil colors and dimmable. The all white lights will have kelvin/temperature control.

The a/c , heat, and garage have been networked for some time already. I even control my router by voice commanx.

Security system I will not go much in to but it is accessible from anywhere I happen to be. Along with a smart video doorbell.

What do yall have setup?

When your house decides to kill you can I have your car?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2018, 06:30:32 PM »
First of all, your phone is not secure.  Ask BMW how well that worked out for them when they endorsed an app which allowed a phone to control their car and hackers stole hundreds of BMW's (46 in my neighborhood alone last year) by copying the cell signals and duplicating them to take control of the cars.  It is not hard to do.  It is a basic repeater.

Other applications used the serial number of the car as the security key and hackers just ran through them as they drove through neighborhoods watching for cars to light up.  Again, not hard to do.

Basically, anything going over the air is easy to hack.

Hackers are not looking for ways to hack those IoT devices to control them.  They are looking at data collection from the hacked network.  Once you get into a LAN, they are mostly easy to move around in and snoop on.

Oh, you never know what devices may or may not have microphones and cameras.  Most new televisions do, for example.

They are always listening.  They just do not react unless they hear key phrases.  You cannot know what is being recorded, or what it not being recorded without analyzing the data leaving the device.  Of course, if it is over a wireless connection, then anyone can record the raw data and use it to take control of the device.  It does not matter if it is encrypted, or not when it comes to using the raw data.  Wireless is not secure.  Never has been, never will be.

Thus the reason my Alexa does not reside in my bedroom :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2018, 05:21:42 AM »

ROTFLMAO  we only have trucks. No cars in my driveway unless we have visitors. Most of my friends have trucks.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2018, 05:38:15 AM »
Thus the reason my Alexa does not reside in my bedroom :D

You know you can turn Alexa off with a touch. Same with Google.

If you turn Google off in the bedroom you can still use it's routines. It will wake you with music, albeit from another room, turn on the coffee pot, turn on a dim light where you are and turn on the bathroom light. While in the bathroom it will turn on the closet lights so you can dress, it will also tell you the weather for the day. The hall lights will come on as well as kitchen. If you use a toaster it can be prewarmed. While eating breakfast it will read off the news of the day covering only your interest from your chosen sites/channels. Before you leave it will tell you the traffic and drive time to work.

As you leave everything will turn off.

I might add that if you think music or another type of alarm from another room might not wake you, it can also flash your lights. It can even play the alarm to any bluetooth speaker which can be in the bedroom.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 05:44:20 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2018, 08:05:47 PM »

the car will kill you

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »
Added iGrill 3 to Weber gas grill.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:31 AM »
Added iGrill 3 to Weber gas grill.
The Tappecue 

https://www.tappecue.com

is the most awesome BBQ thermometer ever. Had mine about a year. I have a box full of wireless ones and while they all work I was always disappointed with the range. Most would hardly reach thru the walls into the house. This kinda defeats the purpose on a crazy ridiculous hot or cold day! I have my limits! Not a problem with this guy! It connects to my wifi and can be monitored anywhere there's internet. Can even be monitored by others via the app, say everyone on a BBQ team. That way everyone can watch the fire and food temps in real time. Way cool gizmo.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »
The Tappecue 

https://www.tappecue.com

is the most awesome BBQ thermometer ever. Had mine about a year. I have a box full of wireless ones and while they all work I was always disappointed with the range. Most would hardly reach thru the walls into the house. This kinda defeats the purpose on a crazy ridiculous hot or cold day! I have my limits! Not a problem with this guy! It connects to my wifi and can be monitored anywhere there's internet. Can even be monitored by others via the app, say everyone on a BBQ team. That way everyone can watch the fire and food temps in real time. Way cool gizmo.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That looks pretty cool too. Just adds wifi and is 2 1/2 times more. Would be worth it if wifi is needed.

Edit........

I might return this igrill 3 and opt for one of the wifi setups myself. Bluetooth is a little limiting.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:41:08 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"