Author Topic: Fuel Multiplier Question  (Read 923 times)

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Fuel Multiplier Question
« on: December 02, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
The impression I got from the fuel burn rates we had on this last TOD frame is that the fuel multiplier was set different to the first frame.  Was the first frame fuel multiplier set to 1.5?

The reason I ask is that in the first frame we flew the same attack profile as in the second (although heavier ord in the first) without any problems.  In the second frame though we ran out of fuel after travelling a shorter distance.

If the fuel multipliers were set differently, please ensure that the first frame settings are used for the third.

After all, it seems unrealistic that the F4u-1D would have a combat radius of less than 75 miles with 100% internal fuel, HVARS and 2x250lb bombs.  We climbed with about 80% power settings, cruised at 17k to target and then made only one pass and transited back at medium alt on cruise power.  However, we still ran out of fuel on approach to the cv, doesn't seem very realistic (without knowing the exact specs of course).

Kinda spoils the fun of a semi-historical event if you can't even make a 100 mile round trip without running out of fuel.  :(

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
Fuel should be 1.5.  To my knowlegde it was...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2001, 05:15:00 PM »
it was unrealistic to have a cv within 100 miles of an enemy coastline with there air forces / tgs in tact

So we either get a fuel mod to simulate the greater distances and you fly fer an hour and a half to target or the fuel mod is added and the cvs are placed at a distance that allows for a 2 hour frame.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Wotan ]

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2001, 06:51:00 PM »
This question was asked before and during both frames and has been checked and double-checked each time it has been asked....it has always been set at 1.5

Dunno why you guys are having problems.  Could it be the crosswind that was set in frame 1 at the beginning gave you a boost?

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
Maybe we just had bad fuel management this time  ;)

Just seemed that something was awry as we only had short transit hops but ran out of fuel.  We managed 3 sorties in 1.5 hours (not including refuelling time) at an average speed of about 200 mph gives a total distance covered of about 300 miles. --> about 100 miles per hop average.  ---> 150 miles adjusted for fuel multiplier.  Shouldn't have fuel problems with that range surely?

Anyway, if settings haven't changed then it must have been something different on our part.  Just file this post in the "please ignore" basket.

I just wanted to bring it up as I'm sure it wasn't much fun for the Axis defending to see us just come in, make one pass and then run for home plate.  It is always more enjoyable to stay and mix it up but we couldn't...

<S> for the hard work CMs.

P.S. The first frame we did return trips at pretty much constant alts therefore wind wasn't a factor...

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
<SHRUGS>  Dunno Blue...I always check it before and during the event.  I have no idea what it could be.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2001, 07:56:00 PM »
the D hog has short legs on internal tanks.  We found that painfully obvious in Hostile Shores.  I'd take one bomb and a drop tank next time if I were you.

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2001, 10:41:00 PM »
cc Sancho.

Chalk this thread up to my inexperience in the Hog.  I think we have learnt that lesson the hard way.

Oh well, I survived the frame and shot down a zero, gotta be happy with that.  :)

Thanks for your replies all.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2001, 10:55:00 PM »
No prob Blue.  If you are unsure there is nothing wrong with asking :)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
Fuel Multiplier Question
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
Well I have to say our guys ran out of fuel when I was "sure" it would not be a problem.

I checked the fuel mod and it was set to 1.5 so I suppose there might be an error/bug some how.

Speak up again Blue if you have problems.

<S>
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure