Author Topic: Half Dome Oculus  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
Half Dome Oculus
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:22:34 AM »
Anyone seen the reports on what they are developing? Lots of goodies are in the works. Not all are going to make it to production I fear.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Half Dome Oculus
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »
What are you saying, re: your title?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:04:13 PM »
Lots of stuff happening all over VR in the next 12-24 months. Magic Leap is going to be a big one to watch.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 08:40:37 PM »
What is Majic Leap?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »
What is Majic Leap?

A new AR system with lots of money thrown at it. It'll be the whole package, portable "PC" box. Big difference is the way the rendering works on different focal planes.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 10:53:51 PM »
A new AR system with lots of money thrown at it. It'll be the whole package, portable "PC" box. Big difference is the way the rendering works on different focal planes.

Sounds interesting.  Especially if it improves the visual acuity from the current Oculus.

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 09:06:48 AM »
IMO,

VR in gaming is useless until the pixel density is great enough that you do not see the pixel substrate under magnification.
I am a very disappointed occulus owner.
I am even putting together my own VR rig base on the Sony Xperia 4k panels, 30% better pixel density. Occulus is 576ppi, Sony 4K is 801ppi Even this is a little off visually.

VR is about pixel density, period! Its not their yet.

MagicLeap uses a mirrored system, I too would like to see how it handles ppi, because there are currently no higher ppi"s displays commercially available, than the Sony. That I am aware of.
s
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 10:45:56 AM »
I agree.  My GVing is done with TrackIR and the monitor for better visual acuity amongst the weeds and trees.  Flying is via the Oculus because, in spite of the reduce clarity,  the feel is much more realistic, stick bump is greatly reduced, and rounds on target is much more accurate.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
I agree.  My GVing is done with TrackIR and the monitor for better visual acuity amongst the weeds and trees.  Flying is via the Oculus because, in spite of the reduce clarity,  the feel is much more realistic, stick bump is greatly reduced, and rounds on target is much more accurate.
Yup,same with me. Success/KtD has gone up 300% with using the rift. I aint gonna argue with that  :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 04:23:11 PM »
With my Acer headset,  I get a much better picture quality than I did with the screen-like Oculus...very smooth screen - better head tracking without the use of external sensors. Only downside is the lack of adjustability of the eye pieces - but everything else was better than the rift.

In two or three years, I'm sure the VR headsets will be even that much better. :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 12:04:43 AM »
With my Acer headset,  I get a much better picture quality than I did with the screen-like Oculus...very smooth screen - better head tracking without the use of external sensors. Only downside is the lack of adjustability of the eye pieces - but everything else was better than the rift.

In two or three years, I'm sure the VR headsets will be even that much better. :aok
I am looking to replace Rift...some IDIOT  :uhoh didnt know about the Lens Insert for IDIOTS with glasses :uhoh Well untill they were really FUBAR. You CAN adjust the..well first you talking the Slider for PUPIL width under Rift headset? Do they adjust or is it just not as easy with Acer. Do you know off hand what the settings for the eye pieces is? I run a 68 with the Rift, well think thats it...almost all the way to right.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 11:13:34 AM »
I am looking to replace Rift...some IDIOT  :uhoh didnt know about the Lens Insert for IDIOTS with glasses :uhoh Well untill they were really FUBAR. You CAN adjust the..well first you talking the Slider for PUPIL width under Rift headset? Do they adjust or is it just not as easy with Acer. Do you know off hand what the settings for the eye pieces is? I run a 68 with the Rift, well think thats it...almost all the way to right.
With the Acer it's done via software. The maximum PD is 63mm for the Acer - mine (because I have a bloody big noggin) is actually 71 :rolleyes:

So, maaaybe not a good fit for you? I'm not sure about glasses - I send over a Acer headset to Skuzzy to try out for a couple weeks while they worked out a couple of bugs - he has glasses and can comment on it. Is to find a set and try it out? They're on sale right now for $145 (factory refurbished - probably from IT inept owners who couldn't figure them out) https://acerrecertified.com/acer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-ah101-d8ey/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:19:56 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
 :rock
With the Acer it's done via software. The maximum PD is 63mm for the Acer - mine (because I have a bloody big noggin) is actually 71 :rolleyes:

So, maaaybe not a good fit for you? I'm not sure about glasses - I send over a Acer headset to Skuzzy to try out for a couple weeks while they worked out a couple of bugs - he has glasses and can comment on it. Is to find a set and try it out? They're on sale right now for $145 (factory refurbished - probably from IT inept owners who couldn't figure them out) https://acerrecertified.com/acer-windows-mixed-reality-headset-controllers-ah101-d8ey/
I got one...for THAT PRICE,why not. Thanks,Sir...but you CAN just say...HEY,lazy bones....research :x I appreciate your legwork and sharing your results though :salute
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:31:46 PM by 1stpar3 »

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2018, 06:39:46 AM »
What are you saying, re: your title?
That is the name they have assigned to the development hardware at Oculus.