Author Topic: Radar Testing  (Read 28225 times)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Radar Testing
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2018, 12:47:31 PM »
But how do those make the arenas LOOK active? Thats the point of the dar now, to show players all those little planes they can go after.

Why can't one use the function on the clipboard to determine the activity in a particular arena?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »
Why can't one use the function on the clipboard to determine the activity in a particular arena?

Because generally speaking, in off peak hours you will see 100 people in the arena, but when you go into the arena, you will see enough enemy bardar on your fronts for a maximum of about 8 aircraft (it's actually 4).  The rest will be in tower, or somewhere in a GV.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #602 on: August 10, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
I have no issues with how the 2nd Dar test is going. Seems to me like the old dots we used to have just a little fancier with plane Icons.
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #603 on: August 10, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »
There was nothing wrong with the old radar setup. Please bring it back.

I haven't been in all week. The only reason I'll be in tonight is to shoot the breeze with my squaddie. I'll probably burn perks in anticipation of the old dar not coming back. Maybe I'll roll 3 B-29s and hit radar towers for fun or de-ack with a jet.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline 68EZPkns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #604 on: August 10, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:54:10 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline 68EZPkns

• Zinc Member
« Reply #605 on: August 10, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »
Maybe offer all new subscribers a copy of Cher's new album of ABBA covers.

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #606 on: August 10, 2018, 02:43:19 PM »
Since I complained about the previous test I suppose I should put my 2 cents in (probably overvalued even at that price).  This version is much better.

- For fighters it does make finding the enemy easier (although I never had any problem finding a fight before, even late at night by using darbar and just having SA as to what is going on).
- For bombers its much improved because even though people can see you upping on dar no matter where you are, they don't know that you are a bomber so far in advance.  I even took a flight of B-29s through a fight at about 7k just for the fun of it since they didn't have the heads up that bombers were coming!
- For gv's its a million times better.  If the all-seeing gv pinpoint dar had remained I would have never played gvs again.  Way more fun this way.  Case in point, twice tonight Twinn50s was in a town with a tank.  I went looking for him with a tank.  Very tense and exciting cat-and-mouse game ensued.  Sadly he killed me both times, but it was way more fun each not knowing where the other was than if I could have just gone to him over and over until I got lucky and killed him.  I think he later died to aircraft on both occasions, but I guarantee that he lived longer against said aircraft than he would have with the previous system.  I know that at one point I was looking for him in a plane and so were about 5 others of us and we couldn't find him, even with the sector highlighted.  That is the way it should be!

Overall, I liked the original status quo the best by far compared to either of these two tests.  However, between the two tests I have seen, this one (aircraft dar everywhere but fighter icons only and no pinpoint gv dar) is massively preferable to the first one (100% dar available on everything all the time with specific fighter/bomber/gv icons).
FBDurr -- A Freebird since 2013, been playing Aces High since 2001.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #607 on: August 10, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:55:15 AM by Skuzzy »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #608 on: August 10, 2018, 03:11:53 PM »
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 05:55:33 AM by Skuzzy »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #609 on: August 10, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
And It's DarBar not BarDar.  :old:
WRONG!  :furious

No, you're both wrong, both DarBar and BarDar are correct, but mean something different:
DarBar is the individual bar in a sector.
BarDar is the general feature of showing DarBars.

Offline pallero

• Copper Member
« Reply #610 on: August 10, 2018, 04:05:12 PM »
If you want to show where the action is, why not show it like heatmap style? Not the exact icons.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #611 on: August 10, 2018, 04:34:05 PM »
Because generally speaking, in off peak hours you will see 100 people in the arena,

Wiley.

Actually in off peak times the arena will have 30 people in it.  Radar will not help much there as 90% of them will use it to avoid the fight rather than look for it

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #612 on: August 10, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)