Author Topic: 416th RCAF AAR for TOD Oct 26  (Read 972 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
416th RCAF AAR for TOD Oct 26
« on: October 27, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
We had 5 pilots:

Abunabi
BD5Pilot <-Flight Leader
Buzzbe
Hening
Holder

We were tasked the Ar-234 and were given 2 targets.. radar factories just SE of A7 and fuel depot at 7.5.1 (roughly 50 miles east of A7).  We took off from A22 (check map, that's a LONG ways away), tried to form up the best we could as some of our guys do not have a lot of air time in the 234.

Proceeded to form up and climb to 20k, had a good cloud deck to duck into most of the way.  50 miles North of the refineries, BD5Pilot and Abunabi were to hit refineries.  Rest were to proceed to radar factort targets then rendezvous at pre-arranged coordinates.

Abunabi and BD5's target was cloud covered and they had to descend to 10k to line up targets.  Both pilots were too hot but anded direct hits on their second pass.  All bombs (3 each) scored hits on tank clusters and buildings.

Things got crazy at this point.

BD5, trying to link up with Abunabi, noted tracers flashing past him and it turned out he had a P-47 at d500 on his six.  BD5 managed to eggress and outspeed the aggressor while Abunabi's aircraft lost both engines in one hit.  He is unsure if it was a P-47 or acks since all he heard were hits, then was in tower.

Meanwhile, the others attempted to penetrate A7 but found that enemy fighters were orbiting overhead, as if awaiting them (this is the 3rd TOD we've been in where this has happened...coincidence or have we got spies?)  Buzzbe, Hening and Holder opted to hit remaining refinery targets while trying to stay ahead of P-47s they encountered.  Buzzbe didnt drop on fuels, but on a base at 9.8.5,  mostly just to shed the ordinance and gain speed.  He reports hitting a BH and Ammo Bunker.

At this point, we're all looking to get back to base.  22 is a long long flight and fuel is good, but its quiet on the buffer as to where more cons are.  12 is the closest, furtherest inland base and our thought is to land there.  BD5 was about 20 miles ahead of the rest of the guys and approached 12.  Just as he slowed to gear-extend speed, he saw 5 to 6 Tempests dive down on him.  He managed to get gear up, power to full and out turn a diving Tempest and escape the area.  The Tempests stayed at 12 and were not a factor anymore.  Everyone stayed clear of 12, heading back to 22

Without incident, BD5 and Hening landed at 22.  Holder crashed on landing and Buzzbe had a weird issue on his end where he was locked in clouds all they way back to 22, when it was clear skies.  Since he was lost in fog on his flight model, he wound up crashing.

Recap:  Fuel Refineries pummeled.

1 lost to AA (or P47?)
2 lost to crash

2 made it back alive

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2001, 01:26:00 PM »
bd5 there are no spies first guy shot down will go to each friendly base he expects to be hit. From the tower he will report what bases have damage or are recieving damage then he will vector in his friends.

If someone was in twr at 7 and they report it just got bombed every fighter available is gonna rush there to get some of them 25 points per arado (30 fer 17s).

WTG on hitting your targets S! see buffs have a purpose  :) catchin bullets   ;)

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
that Ar234 lost at fuel factory was definitely shot down by a P-47.  It looks real sweet on the guncam where I smoked one engine, then the other, then took off his right wing.    :cool:

The 56th FG was tasked to CAP that refinery but it was tough since there was a cloud cover right over target.  We had guys above below, and in the clouds, but we didn't see you guys until you were already there.  I managed to do a low yoyo and catch Abunabi as he passed east bound over the refinery.  Our high CAP fighters could have caught the arados, had there not been a cloud cover to obscure their retreat.  <S>

[ 10-27-2001: Message edited by: Sancho ]

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Wow, you just barely missed my 234 and Abunabi is sitting here next to me and we're just kinda "wow'ing" that screen shot.  To him, he heard a ping and was in tower...no long, glorious death at all.

Wotan, I was just expressing what Buzz had noted.  No matter where we go, cons are up and waiting for us   :)   Now if we just had that kinda service when we walked into SUBWAY!

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2001, 08:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul:
Wow, you just barely missed my 234 and Abunabi is sitting here next to me and we're just kinda "wow'ing" that screen shot.  To him, he heard a ping and was in tower...no long, glorious death at all.

LePaul,

The connx was really bad for some of us in the TOD.  I had the same experience in a pony when I was hit by a 190.  No cons anywhere near me then warp, warp, warp, ping ping ping crack engine and flaps gone...  Probably a real bad case of lag...

Offline Buzzbe

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.416rcaf.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
Hola,

Just checked the scoring page and Abunabi is missing from our squad score and listing.

Although he was accounted for as shotdown in another listing.

More points please.

L8r.

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
BD5,

Def no spies.  In the orders I was given from Daddog these factories were listed as possible Axis targets this frame.  I gave 56th FG the following order:

An Axis squad should be hitting the factory east of A7.  Find em, kill em.

:)