Author Topic: Loss of Audio in the Oculus Rift  (Read 1509 times)

Offline cuervo

• Zinc Member
Loss of Audio in the Oculus Rift
« on: August 03, 2018, 12:57:54 AM »
For the second time now I have lost the Audio on my Rift. Both time the same thing happened, I lost Audio on the right earphone and then lost it in the left earphone. The problem seems to be a connectivity issue because I noticed that depending on the tension on both straps I might get audio or not at times, until progressively it was gone. Oculus sent me a new headset the first time and I cant believe I have the same issue on the second headset as well. I have read the whole VR forum and no one seemed to have had the same problem. Can anybody help?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 01:01:15 AM by cuervo »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Loss of Audio in the Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:08:46 AM »
 :eek:WELL? Thats strange :uhoh I have at times experienced some "Crackling" type issues, but a restart fixes it. It COULD be a sound card issue...as Bizman and others have brought up? Something about how Windows prioritizes Microphones and speakers. Pretty sure they will tell you to disable EVERY sound replay device that you dont use IN GAME. And that is the TOTALITY of my ideas...it worked for me,so cant poo poo there judgement.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 03:33:48 AM »
Well, now that my name has been mentioned... I was going to wait for other ideas because I'm not familiar with the VR gear.

It's good practice to reduce the amount of unused sound devices just in case Windows decides to change the preset order. An example of this happening is described in http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg5226555.html#msg5226555

However, the fact that the sound disappears from one side at a time doesn't fit to that category. Getting the sound back by pulling the straps sounds more like a connectivity issue. The question is, where is the weak spot? The most obvious potential spots are at the ends. The wire often breaks inside the springy sleeve of the USB/HDMI connectors. It might also break inside the size adjusting parts. Obviously rolling the wheels of your chair over the cable is a definite no-no.

If your Rift is still under warranty, just get it replaced instead of trying to fix it yourself.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 04:00:18 AM »
Well, now that my name has been mentioned... I was going to wait for other ideas because I'm not familiar with the VR gear.

It's good practice to reduce the amount of unused sound devices just in case Windows decides to change the preset order. An example of this happening is described in http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.msg5226555.html#msg5226555

However, the fact that the sound disappears from one side at a time doesn't fit to that category. Getting the sound back by pulling the straps sounds more like a connectivity issue. The question is, where is the weak spot? The most obvious potential spots are at the ends. The wire often breaks inside the springy sleeve of the USB/HDMI connectors. It might also break inside the size adjusting parts. Obviously rolling the wheels of your chair over the cable is a definite no-no.

If your Rift is still under warranty, just get it replaced instead of trying to fix it yourself.
That is what has me buggered! The straps dont seem to be in a situation to affect losing connections to speakers. Its simply an adjustment to how "Tight" the mask is. The only cable is from Left side to behind the mask(face side). Maybe stress was applied at some time? Cord hanging up on something...or "Chair rolling over cord"..   
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:42:29 AM »
Sounds like a mechanical issue to me.  I cannot imagine a scenario where audio would drop fron one side and not the other, at the same time, if it is a Windows problem.   Simply the way audio works in Windows makes it almost impossible for that to happen.

Yes, I said "almost".  I live by the credo of anything being possible.

Maybe a DXDIAG output might yield something.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 05:52:16 AM »
Hopefully it's not the ribbon cable which is a fairly common issue. If it is and you're under warranty they will repair it, but will have to jump through hoops. If not you may be out of luck. There is another player that is on his second one with problems after they wouldn't repair the first one

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »
Strap tension affecting it sounds like the cable connection.

The Rift doesn't use your sound card.

For a work around you can remove the ear pieces and use headphones. Set Oculus to copy sound to Windows.

Offline cuervo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Thanks guys for all your replies. I agree, I think it is a mechanical issue because if I played with the tensions on the straps I will get the sound back, obviously, after a while of that, the connection just gave up all together. What I'm concern about is why me? I mean, it is obvious that no one else have a problem like this and I just cant believe that I'm unlucky enough to get two bad headsets one after the other with the same exact problem. Maybe the way I'm using it or the way I'm putting on and off is causing the problem, but to the best of my knowledge, I'm doing it according to Oculus directions.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/39449/right-side-headphone-stopped-functioning

Unfortunately I am on my second headset that’s had  this failure. Soon you will start loosing video as in the eye screens will go black. It’s not the best idea for them to use such a thin ribbon cable.
I hope you are under warranty and have proof of purchase from a proper place of purchase. They would not warranty mine due to it being in a company’s name and not mine just started second warranty claim ( bought brand new in May ). I will let you know but today marks day 12 since initial email and just received rma receipt last night

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 01:45:13 AM »
--- What I'm concern about is why me? I mean, it is obvious that no one else have a problem like this and I just cant believe that I'm unlucky enough to get two bad headsets one after the other with the same exact problem. Maybe the way I'm using it or the way I'm putting on and off is causing the problem, but to the best of my knowledge, I'm doing it according to Oculus directions.

As the link flippz posted proves, you're not alone. Why other Rift owners in AH aren't suffering from that very problem may simply be because there's not too many VR users here. Other factors than just statistics can be the size or shape of your head, or the way you're using the Rift. How often you take it off to answer your family, does it slide on your face, do you just take it off or do you loosen the straps first etc. If you constantly adjust the straps to extents the cables are stressed more than in a static middle position, no matter that you're doing it according directions. Rifts are generic, our heads aren't. Things like that might explain why the issue has hit you twice.

As has been seen in other devices with cables inside a swivel or hinge, the cable is prone to break. Joysticks, pedals, laptop monitors... Unfortunately not all manufacturers design their cabling to tolerate the twisting.

I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TechWrek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 04:17:22 AM »
I too am on my second Rift headset due to audio failure on the right side as a result of internal ribbon cable damage after about 10 months of use. It seems to me to be by far the most common failure for the Rift from the discussions I have seen. Mine too started with a crackling noise before complete failure on the right side, I got it replaced before the left side audio or video problems started. So far so good on the replacement, but coming up on a year soon.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 07:39:59 AM »
After the first or second time I accidentally  pulled on the cable I put some slack in the cable between the connection and the cable guide on the headset strap.

Offline CUTT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 01:10:03 AM »
I just bought my Oculus Rift and had a sound problem with the left earphone losing sound. I noticed when I removed the earphone there were two little copper contacts on the strap where the earphone plugged into. I took a q-tip and lightly put some glass cleaner on the q-tip and cleaned the area thoroughly, installed the earphone back onto the headset and it's worked like a champ ever since.
With humidity and other environmental factors the contacts may accumulate corrosion or dirt may have been in there during storage on the store shelf over the months it sits there. It's only been a couple of days now so time will tell I suppose.

Hope this helps!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »
With humidity and other environmental factors the contacts may accumulate corrosion or dirt may have been in there during storage on the store shelf over the months it sits there.

Good point and sound advise!

A computer owner somewhere along the rougher coastlines of the US once wrote that the average life span of PC's in his whereabouts was about a year or two because there was always salty mist in the air corroding the components. Supposing the Rift isn't made in the US or even Europe, and further supposing they are shipped in sea containers on a ship, the salty mist issue can plague them as well especially if the container in question is placed right to the sea and the weather gets hard.

Kotisivuni