Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20230 times)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Aces High 'Classic'?
« on: August 14, 2018, 05:12:10 AM »
The idea of this is to bring back the most popular version of Aces High.

Runescape did this with 'old school runescape' and it is now more popular than the main game.

Blue is old school RS

World of Warcraft is also bringing back the 'vanilla' game from 15 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcZyiYOzsSw

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 05:15:57 AM »
AH did not change enough to bring back the original. It would just divided us further. Now RS and WOW have the player base to support it. Also these games have changed massively over the years. Vanilla wow is nothing like the current wow.. I played wow since it started and dropped off at the panda expansion. They went from a social game to a single player online game..
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 05:19:50 AM »
AH did not change enough to bring back the original.

Something must have changed, otherwise there would still be 700 people on arena

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 05:26:15 AM »

The compatition is massive nowadays. Mostly better graphics and more realism.. while I still enjoy AH the most though.

AH changed somewhat but not enough to blame it on change  :uhoh
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:33:46 AM »

AH didn't lose the player numbers after any specific change. AH lost players gradually after early 2008 without any substantial changes being made. The was no 'golden' version of AH that everybody played until "things were changed".
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:09 AM »
AH didn't lose the player numbers after any specific change. AH lost players gradually after early 2008 without any substantial changes being made. The was no 'golden' version of AH that everybody played until "things were changed".

The 2008/2009 recession is the biggest and most likely reason for player drop-off....

If ircc, HiTech and Skuzzy even posted about it

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
The 2008/2009 recession is the biggest and most likely reason for player drop-off....

If ircc, HiTech and Skuzzy even posted about it

TC

But the loss rate in player numbers has been quite steady ever since then, no matter how US economy was doing.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 05:52:54 AM »
Agreed....

Are you still back, yourself? or have you hung it up for good?

The generations of players have changed tremendously over the last 19+ years..... .most these days want "instant action and gratification....without having to put in the needed (required) time to understand and learn the in's and out's of the game

My 25+ years of playing opinion

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 06:08:32 AM »
Agreed....

Are you still back, yourself? or have you hung it up for good?

I'm just here for the stats and history, as the AH I loved to play is gone and won't come back.  :old:
I miss it a lot and never found an adequate replacement  :(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 06:15:20 AM by Lusche »

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 06:37:44 AM »

My 25+ years of playing opinion

TC

You know TC there was a rather famous person that said “you cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it”

Young blood and young blood thinking is required to keep almost everything current.  You, I, HiTech cannot solve this problem, we are of the same minds.  Find the new minds, listen to them.

Regards.

FESS

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:25:37 AM »

The players changed. Gone are the days of squads fighting each other, gone are the days of tactics and strategy, gone are the days of honor among players. Now it is all about racing toward the best kill count/score/ base capture.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »

Yes, something has changed: The 700 have grown older. About 85 can be found in https://bearcats18.enjin.com/rip, maybe some more can be found in http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,392760.0.html. There's over 100 names in the Finnish Squads forum members list. Some of them I've never heard of so they may have been two-weekers, some I know have only been online during Eurocon. Some have moved to another flight sim for a more historic setup. The majority of those I know have quit flying sims altogether for various real life reasons. Gone are the days when there'd be 20+ of us online on Friday nights.

The same has most likely happened everywhere. The game hasn't changed that much, the people having played it have. Yet whenever for some odd reason the bunch gets online together, the same enthusiasm can be felt. There's just so many more things to do, social media being one huge reason for people not having time to play any more.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 11:11:46 AM »

Our peek was Feb 2009. The start of the decline was completely due to the economy.

HiTech
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:15:31 PM by hitech »

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 01:04:43 PM »
I haven't played as far back as that but what were the difference of 2009 AH vs what it is today?

No tanks?

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 01:45:05 PM »
I haven't played as far back as that but what were the difference of 2009 AH vs what it is today?

No tanks?

HTC has added new planes and vehicles and wrote code designing a brand new graphics engine for Aces High 3, including virtual reality(3D) and we all are just seeing  bits and pieces of what the new graphics engine is capable of doing.... Oh and also added the Battleship group as well...