Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20306 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »
One difference is that it would play with a cheap graphics card. Not saying this is why the game contracted.
Pies not kicks.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »
Aces High had ground vehicles even back before AH2 came out ....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2018, 01:54:18 PM »
I haven't played as far back as that but what were the difference of 2009 AH vs what it is today?

It was practically possible to fly below dar, it wad possible to pork fuel, the HQ, fewer forward spans to towns, ...

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2018, 01:55:58 PM »
One difference is that it would play with a cheap graphics card. Not saying this is why the game contracted.

I  beta tested AH3 using a somewhat old ASUS HD3870 512MB GDDR4 video card, and letting the game auto setup the graphics upon initial login, had no problems back then, getting around 38/40 fps at most times.....but I doubt it would do that good today.... I do know that it will still work and is playable in AH3

TC
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 01:59:32 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2018, 01:56:06 PM »
It was practically possible to fly below dar, it wad possible to pork fuel, the HQ, fewer forward spans to towns, ...

Maybe people enjoyed this more?

I bet there were even more gameplay differences.....

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »

You still can use  a cheap one. My GTX 950 played AH3 just fine, I would be able to get a secondhand one for ~ 60€ over here.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2018, 01:59:58 PM »
Maybe people enjoyed this more?

I bet there were even more gameplay differences.....

Once again:
Player numbers had already dropped massively with the old AH2, with no major gameplay changes. And this drop was gradually over the years. The players didn't suddenly disappear when AH3 went live.

Many (not all) of the percieved gameplay changes were just a result of the population becoming smaller.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »

Once again:
Player numbers had already dropped massively with the old AH2, with no major gameplay changes.

what? Hitech just said page earlier that peak of AH2 was at 2009.

and AH2 had different gameplay elements than what it is today, like the poster above said.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2018, 02:02:23 PM »
what? Hitech just said page earlier that peak of AH2 was at 2009

Ah2 did not end in 2009, but in 2016. At that time, player numbers were only a fraction of the peak numbers.

What's so difficult to understand?

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2018, 02:03:44 PM »
Ah2 did not end in 2009, but in 2016. At that time, player numbers were only a fraction of the peak numbers.

What's so difficult to understand?

Maybe the gameplay was slowly changing to what it is today, and that is why people left, not the other way around.

If peak was at 2009, bring back 2009 gameplay.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »
Maybe the gameplay was slowly changing to what it is today, and that is why people left, not the other way around.

So tell me what changed in AH2 that make the player numbers gradually drop between 2009 and 2016.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »
So tell me what changed in AH2 that make the player numbers gradually drop between 2009 and 2016.

I don't know lol i haven't been here.

But that is why Blizzard is bringing back a game from 15 years ago, and so did old school runescape, because it has different gameplay.

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 02:13:51 PM »

The only major thing that changed was the free to play world of tanks and world of warships.  I know about 10 or more players that left AH and play there, or still have an account and fly FSO but never in the MAs. 

I outright refuse to play world of tanks and world of warships.  It's just not fun for me. 

My opinion is the drop in player numbers begins declining after that junk hit the net.  And they still do heavy advertising on TV. 

I do remember in 2009 around our peak in numbers, military channel and history channel aired AH commercials. 

Advertise and they will come is best solution.   IMHO
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 02:14:43 PM »
I don't know lol i haven't been here.

But you constantly make claims which would require that knowledge. You even totally ignore facts presented by players who had been there.

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 02:16:10 PM »
The only major thing that changed was the free to play world of tanks and world of warships.

The other poster said something different

These are gameplay differences, and there are probably more small things here and there.