Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20339 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2018, 04:16:24 AM »
So tell me what changed in AH2 that make the player numbers gradually drop between 2009 and 2016.

All of them are possible candidates. The latest radar test that caused something that looks like an instantaneous drop (including a relatively (compared to the small remaining population) large number of canceled accounts) is the rare exception.
Any change may have caused players to not stay as long as they would have otherwise, and any change may have affected the amount of new players that stick (new ones don't stay for only one month, sign-up rate before/after a change isn't immediately visible in the overall numbers). It's all a gradual change.

Do you have data for first/last seen per player? 3d plot: year/month-first seen vs stayed-for vs number-of-players?

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2018, 05:28:30 AM »
All of them are possible candidates. The latest radar test that caused something that looks like an instantaneous drop (including a relatively (compared to the small remaining population) large number of canceled accounts) is the rare exception.
Any change may have caused players to not stay as long as they would have otherwise, and any change may have affected the amount of new players that stick (new ones don't stay for only one month, sign-up rate before/after a change isn't immediately visible in the overall numbers). It's all a gradual change.

Do you have data for first/last seen per player? 3d plot: year/month-first seen vs stayed-for vs number-of-players?

Agreed with this.

It would be the best if Hitech looked up 2007-2008 game settings (as the peak was feb 2009, it had to be running on the settings from even earlier time) and compare them to current ones (if there is any archived data).

Otherwise we would need a player with good memory from 2007-2008 to write the data.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 05:35:31 AM by nugetx »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2018, 05:40:34 AM »
Agreed with this.

It would be the best if Hitech looked up 2009 (or even the 2007-2008 one, because if the peak was at 2009, it maybe because of the previous game settings that were good and the game peaked in 2009, but it does not mean that it was the 2009 settings) version and the gameplay settings from back then and the current ones. (if there is any archived data).

Otherwise we would need a player with good memory from 2007-2008 to write the data.

Please give it a rest already.....

People will come and some will have the vigor and passion to stay, while others will just diddledaddle for their 2 free weeks

Your posts and threads are reminding me of a stuck radio station playing nothing but Barry manilow or Air Supply...

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2018, 05:43:43 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:18:33 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2018, 06:05:06 AM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:19:18 AM by Skuzzy »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2018, 06:15:52 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:07:49 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2018, 09:56:43 AM »
This is what we know...
  • The original PC gamers dating from ~1990 to current (though I go back to my Vic 20) are now anywhere from 50-80 years of age
  • It's been almost 20 years since the original public release of Aces High beta. The gameplay hasn't really changed a lot since then. Lots of enhancements, but it's still the same base capture model from Air Warrior in 1995.
  • The scenario's and SEA events still draw in a larger number of players for those who are tired of the MA gameplay.
  • A lot of the new PC gamers coming into Aces High are interested in it due to COD and Battlefield genre's rustling interest in WWII gameplay.
  • The game also has a large learning curve. You essentially have to learn how to fly to play. Landing is optional, especially for Brooke and Oldman.  :neener:
  • Aces High target market is a WWII and flight combat simulator enthusiast (like those who play DCS).
  • The largest number of  complaints on Steam (if you read all the reviews - which I did) is the interface. However...
  • Because we cater to a different type of PC game player, I'm not entirely convinced updating the interface would actually bring in more players.
  • Also, I'm not sure changing the interface would change who would play this game. It's not FortNite. It's not Call of Duty. It's not Battlefield. It's Aces High - a high fidelity and complex game with a steep learning curve if you haven't flown any flight simulators and a significant time investment to master.
  • There are a lot of players who have 'aged' out of Aces High or have simply grown tired of the gameplay.
  • We do have the MA and the AvA - one is the everything goes and the other historical match-up's.
  • The training and WWI arena's are still free to play.
  • Arlo is still a maggot and still owes my sister a phone call and needs to return the rear tire from my F-350 he 'borrowed' last month.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
Everyone keeps talking about "gameplay" not changing. Not sure I understand what you mean. Combat in WWII did not change, unless you refer to new aircraft, ships & vehicles as "changes". The goal was to defeat the enemy with what ever tools were available. Air combat, Naval combat, Vehicle combat, and Infantry combat were the tools used. It's no different today, the only thing that changed was the tools were enhanced.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2018, 10:22:58 AM »
Shame on Arlo.....  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 27th

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2018, 10:37:26 AM »
But the loss rate in player numbers has been quite steady ever since then, no matter how US economy was doing.

In 2008 is the housing crash. I would say that Aces High at its peak was 2004-ish to 2008-ish right up to that point. It was bad including gas prices were at $6 (maybe higher at some areas) I had a co-worker beggin and cying for a carpool. I remember because I was sweating it. People were loosing their homes...loosing everything.

:salute
27th

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »
Everyone keeps talking about "gameplay" not changing. Not sure I understand what you mean. Combat in WWII did not change, unless you refer to new aircraft, ships & vehicles as "changes". The goal was to defeat the enemy with what ever tools were available. Air combat, Naval combat, Vehicle combat, and Infantry combat were the tools used. It's no different today, the only thing that changed was the tools were enhanced.

This.  I've never understood what the heck "gameplay changing" would entail.  You can do pretty much 4 things in an aircraft.

1)Fly somewhere
2)Shoot something
3)Bomb something
4)Deliver something

In a GV you can:
1)Drive somewhere
2)Shoot something
3)Deliver something

Whatever the goal or context is, those are the things you will be doing, period.

The fact of the matter is large scale open world PVP is simply not popular with today's gamer.  Most people are looking for small, bite size bits of gameplay, not something where you log into an ongoing battle and are free to do what you like.  It relies too heavily on the other people playing (both friend and foe) happening to be on and doing their part in one way or another to make it fun, and people don't like that.

I've kind of come around to the opinion that the only way for the game to become popular would be to have completely ground up changes.  And no, nugetx, that doesn't mean your idea would work.  It's more of the same, but with infantry.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2018, 11:21:45 AM »
Your right behind him ........

Your (sic)?

#Irony

In 2008 is the housing crash. I would say that Aces High at its peak was 2004-ish to 2008-ish right up to that point. It was bad including gas prices were at $6 (maybe higher at some areas) I had a co-worker beggin and cying for a carpool. I remember because I was sweating it. People were loosing their homes...loosing everything.

:salute
27th

Yep.  I lost everything and am still easily well behind where I was then even after all this time.   I hung on for as long as I could but finally had no options.  My life sounded like a sad country song—job, wife, house, kids, dog.   Poof.   I only found AH again on a whim.  It had not crossed my mind in years at that point.   I am betting others are in the same boat.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:20:05 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
Our peek was Feb 2009. The start of the decline was completely due to the economy.

HiTech

Incidental at best. If it was the case AH would have come back in full force soon after. Most think you missed the boat with the evolution of the game. Maybe ... I believe the decline corresponds with a ever increasing plethora of other quality online games of all genres. We all have so much free time per day.  :cry
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2018, 12:21:09 PM »
Incidental at best. If it was the case AH would have come back in full force soon after. Most think you missed the boat with the evolution of the game. Maybe ... I believe the decline corresponds with a ever increasing plethora of other quality online games of all genres. We all have so much free time per day.  :cry

People who left haven't considered returning.  I didn't either for a long time.  Out of sight, out of mind.

As it is, this game is still attracting a lot of attention.  It just isn't generating enough RETENTION.   If we can solve that part we'll be golden.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2018, 01:08:24 PM »
Hey Gang,

I'm sure no one will have the magic formula here to return AH to the days of glory but the common theme seems to be the loss primarily due to economy back from the hayday and may still have an impact based on costs to play today. Improved graphics / higher end PC requirements, game play changes, introduction of other "free to play" sims, etc are all just additional items thrown into the mix.

I've been here since the Air Warrior days off and on as well so like many of you remember the large masses / multiple arenas and those were some great days. Not to tell HiTech how to run the business but maybe some thoughts on what to look at:

Monthly Subscription - Could it be possible to take a look at the subscription and how it compares to other games today? For example, some of the other sims "free to play" give you the basic / low end aircraft for free. Maybe this is something to be considered (a tiered type of subscription)- a limited set of aircraft, 1 or 2 low end bombers / tanks, etc for free. Then the next set up say for $7.95 a month includes your mid-range fighters / bombers / tanks, and the full monthly fee is any aircraft. ENY would still be in effect though no matter what your subscription but you would now have a multi tier option and draw in more "free to play" players and possibly retain them eventually turning them into paying customers. Again letting them still use any aircraft in the training arenas so they can get a try before you buy is also good.

Training - I can't stress enough the importance of proper introductory training / intro to the game. Our sim is complicated to the new player. HiTech has done a good job recently trying to make changes with the help menus / videos but there is no substitute from getting hands on training from one of the vets that knows the game well. Try to introduce some sort of a pairing / training schedule for newbies could be key to success in this area again.

Communications / Community Involvement / Polls - Keep the changes and improvements coming - that is what will make the game attractive in the future. A key component to that though I think would be to include input from the general community. A good example of this was after all of the recent radar testing a poll was placed upon login to allow you to provide an answer / feedback. More of this type of input "before" new features / changes I am sure would be welcomed from the community and give you a gauge ahead of time on something that might be a hot button item or a great success.

Again - just an outsiders thoughts but looking at the reality of where we are today and the history of where we came from are key to the future success of AH.

Cheers,
Elec1