Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20392 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2018, 01:16:26 PM »
Incidental at best. If it was the case AH would have come back in full force soon after. Most think you missed the boat with the evolution of the game. Maybe ... I believe the decline corresponds with a ever increasing plethora of other quality online games of all genres. We all have so much free time per day.  :cry

I never stated the continued decline was due to economy.  Only that was what caused the start of decline (was obvious do to increase in credit card declines). I agree with increased competition along with peoples use of smart phones and tablets is part of the reason for the continued decline.

HiTech

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
Landing is optional, especially for Brooke and Oldman.  :neener:

It's an outrage!

I always land my plane!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
The latest radar test that caused something that looks like an instantaneous drop (including a relatively (compared to the small remaining population) large number of canceled accounts) is the rare exception.

There is data to support this as a correlated conclusion in such a small sample time?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
All of them are possible candidates. The latest radar test that caused something that looks like an instantaneous drop (including a relatively (compared to the small remaining population) large number of canceled accounts) is the rare exception.

There is data to support this as a correlated conclusion in such a small sample time?

Yeah, this is pure speculation.

Ultimately you might see a short term drop as some of the stuck-in-the-mud my-way-or-the-highway-gameplay people leave, but new subs begin to replace them and then overtake them.

You can tell some things from a short term test, but it's not going to give you a high degree of accuracy statistically.   You need more time.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
You can tell some things from a short term test, but it's not going to give you a high degree of accuracy statistically.   You need more time.

I have a crystal ball. OH and NO you can't use it.

Quit looking at me like that.    :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
I was looking through old posts to see when the radar minimum was set to 65ft, some time during 2009. The vocal majority of air combat sharks in the forums loved it becasue it would supposedly make more "prey" available who were killing the game by being cowards. The prey or average Joe who relied on base capture as their staple of game play didn't appreciate the radar change.

NOE made playing the game for many easier than having to feed themselves face to face to the ACM sharks and loose the heart to keep playing the game. The NOE mission culture was how new players got their feet wet and some even moving up to ACM and becoming sharks themselves. Along with the economic down turn and MA numbers dropping, the game itself was pretty grim and not all that fun for casual players anymore. There was nothing very casual about a small pool of very hungry sharks in those days. The economy took care of 400 people hiding below dar better than lowering it to 65ft. And gradually we saw the rise of constant complaints against players choosing manned guns, wirbles, and M3 resupply over upping to be slaughtered by the sharks posting those complaints here in the forums. Reminds me of lions complaining to game wardens about the lack of herds just after they ate the last wildebeest in the park.

Unless you urge Hitech to issue aimbots and time warp code, you need to find a solution to making the average Joe(prey) want to bother upping in an airplane. It's no secret who the sharks are since our community is so small. Flipping them off as cowards and blaming them for killing this game is showing how little you know how this kind of environment sustains itself.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2018, 04:35:59 PM »
I was looking through old posts to see when the radar minimum was set to 65ft, some time during 2009. The vocal majority of air combat sharks in the forums loved it becasue it would supposedly make more "prey" available who were killing the game by being cowards. The prey or average Joe who relied on base capture as their staple of game play didn't appreciate the radar change.

NOE made playing the game for many easier than having to feed themselves face to face to the ACM sharks and loose the heart to keep playing the game. The NOE mission culture was how new players got their feet wet and some even moving up to ACM and becoming sharks themselves. Along with the economic down turn and MA numbers dropping, the game itself was pretty grim and not all that fun for casual players anymore. There was nothing very casual about a small pool of very hungry sharks in those days. The economy took care of 400 people hiding below dar better than lowering it to 65ft. And gradually we saw the rise of constant complaints against players choosing manned guns, wirbles, and M3 resupply over upping to be slaughtered by the sharks posting those complaints here in the forums. Reminds me of lions complaining to game wardens about the lack of herds just after they ate the last wildebeest in the park.

Unless you urge Hitech to issue aimbots and time warp code, you need to find a solution to making the average Joe(prey) want to bother upping in an airplane. It's no secret who the sharks are since our community is so small. Flipping them off as cowards and blaming them for killing this game is showing how little you know how this kind of environment sustains itself.

I used to see quite a few that would be better served in Microsoft Flight Simulator. They would fly around and pretty much play airport. If you shot them down they would rattle for an hour.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »
I have a crystal ball. OH and NO you can't use it.

Quit looking at me like that.    :neener:

*whispers* That's a light bulb.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2018, 05:40:08 PM »
I used to see quite a few that would be better served in Microsoft Flight Simulator. They would fly around and pretty much play airport. If you shot them down they would rattle for an hour.

What you are suggesting is that AH should not be a playground for such use-cases and Hitech not earn their 14.95?

While most of bustr posts are of the tl;dr variety, I think his assessment of the situation in the latest one is pretty correct. Gone are the days of 20 tiffies suiciding in a futile attempt to drop hangars. They have all been eaten by the sharks once too often, and decided it's not worth to pay for being food.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »
What you are suggesting is that AH should not be a playground for such use-cases and Hitech not earn their 14.95?

While most of bustr posts are of the tl;dr variety, I think his assessment of the situation in the latest one is pretty correct. Gone are the days of 20 tiffies suiciding in a futile attempt to drop hangars. They have all been eaten by the sharks once too often, and decided it's not worth to pay for being food.

I am not assessing anything, I am just stating a fact. The people here at the sanitarium frown on me assessing anything.... they have these anti-assessing white coats with sleeve that tie in the back. I once tried to give them an assessment of those to no avail and all they did was fit one on me for show n tell.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:14:10 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2018, 07:35:01 PM »
Besides playing this game now for 16 years, I've spent the last two years doing something the egotists in this forum don't. To build terrains for everyone, not just the tiny clique of forum elitists. I had to spend two years lurking and listening to the average Joes who won't come to these forums. The average Joe has not changed in what he wants to do in the MA. The MA was changed to force him to be something he is not, nor wants to expend the effort to be. Average Joe is enamored of the idea of being a fighter pilot, while in reality he doesn't want to do more than follow a group to do something he feels reasonably safe with. While having the chance to accomplish something for his $14.95.

The average Joe pays Hitech money to accomplish average Joe things, and before 2009 there was a lot of Joe's paying subscriptions. Why else would Hitech have allowed this air combat game to evolve into a massive capture the flag game with a large GV culture? High end ACM air combat is only a tiny facet of the overall MA environment. Average Joe was happy flying in groups and taking bases while hidden  under 200ft. A game culture larger than the ACM culture organically evolved around doing just that. Which means they paid the bills for HTC while all the time being insulted and derided publicly here in the forums by the smaller ACM culture for being average Joes.

You need the Joes doing that average Joe thing becasue it generates activity and a sense of accomplishment for the Joes. With minimum radar at 65ft the Joes stopped doing all of these average Joe things and lost interest in this game. The alternative is that learning curve to become one of the air combat elite which is turning people away. Because the average person loves the fantasy but, in practice looks for something easier and safer. (Think of how easy WT is.) So what became the next easy safe thing? Our GV culture or I wouldn't have wasted so much time developing micro terrain for them to keep them as customers for Hitech. Why did they revolt at the idea of GVDAR other than GVing met the criteria for an average Joe activity. The only people who benefit from the 65ft radar minimum are the air combat fights guys or, was supposed to be. Nine years later and they are still complaining about no fights and the real fact average Joe does not want to play this game on their terms. They left the game, took up GVing, or sit in 88's giving the ACM crowd the finger.

You need to get average Joe out of the 88 and feeling like he can capture bases again versus being 24x7 skoobie snacks for the air combat elitists. And they constantly complain to Hitech there are no fights becasue average Joe is a coward killing the game and he has to do something "to them" to make it right.

The only easy strategy ever was sneaking under the noses of people to pull off lighting raids and possible captures from 2001-2009. Hundreds of customers a night for 8 years kept logging in to do just that in the MA. Talk about bread and butter or the foundation of an institution. And when you look at other combat games with groups of people, just permutations of that average Joe kind of thing paying the bills. And a bunch of elitists accusing them of killing those games by being cowards and average.

Yes and we keep getting perma squelch requests to squelch all the mister average Joe's in the MA becasue their only sin is talking like average Joe's on range.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2018, 08:20:34 PM »
Pretty simple fixes Bustr.
Bring back 2-300 ft radar and NOE.
Suspend 88 usage till numbers come back.
Get rid of town resupply.

All likely to put people back in combat. I believe all of these things had/have their place but the numbers don’t support them at the moment. The 100 player hordes they were installed to combat don’t exist at the moment.

We need active participants. When you have 100 people on you can’t have 20% of the population avoiding combat.

And HT needs to come up with some way to combat the feast or famine of the 2 on 1 country gang. When I log on anymore I can usually expect to get raped by 5 dudes in late war monsters or fly around aimlessly trying to get anyone to fight.

Simply removing town supply and returning NOE may force people to actually watch that second front. No need to defend it now with GV dar, darbar, and resupply.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
You can suspend 88mm usage all you want.. Leave me my 37mm manned gun for them skilless, vulching retards .. They cry they want to fight but the deack field, take down fth and vh only leaving bombers to up to fight the horde .. They don't really want to fight they want easy kills
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
Pretty simple fixes Bustr.
Bring back 2-300 ft radar and NOE.
Suspend 88 usage till numbers come back.
Get rid of town resupply.

All likely to put people back in combat. I believe all of these things had/have their place but the numbers don’t support them at the moment. The 100 player hordes they were installed to combat don’t exist at the moment.

We need active participants. When you have 100 people on you can’t have 20% of the population avoiding combat.

And HT needs to come up with some way to combat the feast or famine of the 2 on 1 country gang. When I log on anymore I can usually expect to get raped by 5 dudes in late war monsters or fly around aimlessly trying to get anyone to fight.

Simply removing town supply and returning NOE may force people to actually watch that second front. No need to defend it now with GV dar, darbar, and resupply.

I would have no problem for a "Members Only" BBS. Of course 2 Weekers are able to post too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2018, 11:33:35 PM »
I would have no problem for a "Members Only" BBS. Of course 2 Weekers are able to post too.

Do we get the jackets too?
Game handle: HellBuck