Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20401 times)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #120 on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:07 AM »
+1 to Lazerr

Just let us play like we could 10 years ago......

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2018, 02:48:11 AM »
Really.. never.  I can see how you wont see the point what ive been trying to drill down here.  Just keep in mind, this game functioned, and very well before resupply a base was an option.  Now, every available player should be in a tank or plane either attacking or defending.

If you think its about kills, your mistaken.  Take the time to see my stats and m3s Ive popped trying to game the game.

If folks were to defend in wirbles, those kills would have halved, and I would have died 50x more. 

You just sound like a strong advocate for the easy way, and not the way it was done years prior.

Get with the program, open your eyes a little bit. 

If I was a new guy here, spend 1+ hours to get to a strat that is designed to effect the enemy countrys' effectivness, and it was supplied before I landed, I would laugh and log out.

The same applies to towns and trying to rally a base take.  Defend it, or lose it.
To be honest...I see things from both sides...and each have their pros and cons. Sometimes its hard to defend a base by yourself and YES resupply is easier ESPECIALLY in that situation. All sides do it at some point. When have you seen an ACTUAL 3 FRONT battle? Seems every side gets to be the whipping post sooner or later, and RESUPPLY sort of acts like a type of ENY----To level out the playing field a bit. Surviving and contributing to the WAR EFFORT is still a vital part of combat. It is ALSO true, that some use this method as a firstline of defense...sort of like using the .target command to grief a countries strats..it will happen. I dont believe that folk jump in M3s to avoid combat...they do it to make a difference/contribute to the war effort. That will NEVER change, as long as AH is set to a Capture the Flag/Win the map model..IMHO  With numbers the way they are...it should be easy to roll maps regularly...by the side commited to White Flagging towns or Hammering Strats....IF AS SOME believe, folk would rather resupply than fight. Pretty sure they would change their ways if winning the war mattered to them at all? Which leads to how our 3 side system operates...The dont care about the war one single bit(majorities in sides)Rooks vs Win the war Bish and just do our own thing Knights-as I see it. We are all created with a HERD mentality, thus like minded folk seem to congregate. Its not a game mechanics situation IMO  AND YES,defending with a WIRB is GREAT...problem is, they are much SLOWER and chances of the faster M3 getting to town in time is preferable. On BUSTR's latest map, with spawn points closer was great..I wirbed as first defense A WHOLE LOT more often than usual. Well, given that I recognized the situation early enough :uhoh
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 02:51:51 AM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2018, 03:14:20 AM »
Capturing an undefended base releases more dopamine than resupplying to prevent losing a base. With dozens of fields as possible targets on the big maps attacking is much better to make players stay than providing means for simple defense - lose/lose, attackers don't get the dopamine release from the capture, and defenders don't get from truck driving what they could get were they attacking elseswhere.

The double-teaming is no real problem. Just choose one enemy country and go pork their fuel. This will make them switch to attack the other country, making that one the gang-banged one.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2018, 03:31:43 AM »
Capturing an undefended base releases more dopamine than resupplying to prevent losing a base. With dozens of fields as possible targets on the big maps attacking is much better to make players stay than providing means for simple defense - lose/lose, attackers don't get the dopamine release from the capture, and defenders don't get from truck driving what they could get were they attacking elseswhere.

The double-teaming is no real problem. Just choose one enemy country and go pork their fuel. This will make them switch to attack the other country, making that one the gang-banged one.
Yes, I agree! Its a close tie though for me(well since MISSIONS have sort of died out) Racing another M3 with troops, to a town- to prevent a capture is close to racing a supply M3 with my troops M3. I love it ALL! Are you the A-hole that keeps "porking" my ORD Bunkers?  :furious The anticipation really builds in those situations...even IF I lose...better than anything else I have found! Plus M3s resupplying, just another kill..which serves the Dopamine situation  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2018, 03:48:25 AM »
...you need to find a solution to making the average Joe(prey) want to bother upping in an airplane.

When I started flying Aces High Classic there was no 'be nice to new guys' movement and all else structural in the game was essentially the same as it is now for new players. I kept bothering to up an aeroplane because I realised observing superior ACM showed what was possible & I could probably do it too if I could understand it. I had just enough Borg / learning disability / bloody-mindedness in me to keep running at Mike Tyson telegraphing my punch from across the road. Queue many years of studying, experimenting and hard work for no more reward than the challenge of learning.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2018, 05:14:08 AM »
Reminds me of lions complaining to game wardens about the lack of herds just after they ate the last wildebeest in the park.

Btw your predator-prey analogy, if applied faithfully, would illustrate it's the lack of lions that has contributed to MA gameplay atrophy. Think it through to its natural conclusion. You often make misguided assumptions about what it's actually like to be an ACM-shark or the nature of the balance. Nothing personal, you just keep repeating the same motif without any counterpoint.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2018, 05:45:17 AM »
This is a good gameplay mechanic, because it gives someone an option if he chooses to, to make a surprise attack on a field, making a new place to fight, and defenders from other side then start to spring up in that location.

If it is not today like this, then i don't know why?  :headscratch: , there are probably more small settings like this that were different in 2009 times, that change the way the game plays, that drove people away.

If that were really the persons idea he could do the same today. I mean if he really wanted to start a fight.

You are talking about how people have changed, not game mechanics.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:48:11 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: August 16, 2018, 06:00:43 AM »
If that were really the persons idea he could do the same today. I mean if he really wanted to start a fight.

You are talking about how people have changed, not game mechanics.

What is the dar minimum today? If it is 0, then it is different and he could not employ the same 'tactic' because he would be visible, thus preventing the sneaky approach, which is a different game mechanic to what it used to be.

A small change like that, but it fundamentaly alters how the game is played, because a tactic once viable, is no more possible.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:04:29 AM by nugetx »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:44 AM »

Just let us play like we could 10 years ago......

Funny, I don't recall your name on the player roster 10 years ago. Perhaps it was different than your BBS identity?

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2018, 07:13:58 AM »
Funny, I don't recall your name on the player roster 10 years ago. Perhaps it was different than your BBS identity?

I think he played last year 2 days in total, barely taking off without crashing. That was before I thought he was a troll..
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #130 on: August 16, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
What is the dar minimum today? If it is 0, then it is different and he could not employ the same 'tactic' because he would be visible, thus preventing the sneaky approach, which is a different game mechanic to what it used to be.

A small change like that, but it fundamentaly alters how the game is played, because a tactic once viable, is no more possible.

Now you are just saying he is sneaking around. Before you said he was trying to start a fight. If in fact he is trying to start a fight then dar at 0 will not hurt that at all.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline nugetx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: August 16, 2018, 07:22:53 AM »
Now you are just saying he is sneaking around. Before you said he was trying to start a fight. If in fact he is trying to start a fight then dar at 0 will not hurt that at all.

Sneaking as a tactic to surprise attack a base, when defenders will up, a fight will occur.
A player sneaking to a base, eventualy will start a fight, even if it was not his intention.
A dar at 0 will not allow said player to sneak, thus he will not try to attack a base and no fight will start.

I don't have to explain this if the game was like this for the first 10 years? Thought that this should be pretty obvious.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:37:56 AM by nugetx »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »
Sneaking as a tactic to surprise attack a base, when defenders will up, a fight will occur.
A player sneaking to a base, eventualy will start a fight, even if it was not his intention.
A dar at 0 will not allow said player to sneak, thus he will not try to attack a base and no fight will start.

I don't have to explain this if the game was like this for the first 10 years? Thought that this should be pretty obvious.

Ok so as I said, you are actually just talking about the ability to sneak and not really about fighting.

The game changes. Folks beg for changes. Folks hate changes. Folks have no idea what they really want.    :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
I think that majority of players that used to be here, were for the plane combat and not ground vehicles.

Ya know, people come for Mcdonalds for hamburgers and not for chicken.
the 37mm is not a ground vehicle
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:21:21 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: August 16, 2018, 09:14:39 AM »
Vulching a base or the hangars going down are the end result of a fight that happened for a base, it happened like that for a decade, when the numbers were strong too.  Sitting outside of a target about to get hit with supplies, is not combat in an online combat sim.  Its a gamey easy way out.
well that would be the case except lately the town has been left alone.. No sup running needed cause it's not a fight for a base it's a vulch fest.... It's not the end result of a fight for a base Lazer if they forget to attack the town
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:23:05 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait