Author Topic: Aces High 'Classic'?  (Read 20342 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Aces High 'Classic'?
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2018, 11:09:04 AM »
It must be easier to survive and more difficult to score a kill, not the other way around.

If the primary interest/goal is surviving, then why take off?
And unless lots of AI is added I believe it pretty much has to be a 1 to 1 difficulty of surviving vs killing. Simply because every kill = 1 death.

Hitech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2018, 11:47:19 AM »
is the radar minimum 200 ft ? no!

If you had played, you would know that if you want to be completely invisible while flying NOE then you need to fly below 65ft to stay off 'dar.  NOE wasn't removed, it was adjusted to make it more difficult for those trying to avoid a fight be attacking undefended bases while using NOE tactics. 

It was changed because a certain squadron was using NOE attacks on undefended bases.  As soon as the squadron would spot a defender, the entire squadron would then anger instead of taking out the defenders and move on to the next undefended base.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #257 on: August 21, 2018, 11:56:50 AM »
If you had played, you would know that if you want to be completely invisible while flying NOE then you need to fly below 65ft to stay off 'dar.  NOE wasn't removed, it was adjusted to make it more difficult for those trying to avoid a fight be attacking undefended bases while using NOE tactics. 

It was changed because a certain squadron was using NOE attacks on undefended bases.  As soon as the squadron would spot a defender, the entire squadron would then anger instead of taking out the defenders and move on to the next undefended base.
Yaknow I almost kinda miss the vtards. Cockroachs that they were, they were persistent little bastids and provided hours of targets for everyone. They could certainly conjure up a fight! Every once in a while they'd snag a base when everyone had logged for the night.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: August 21, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »

Although not as common, the tradition continues to this day.  A little bit ago someone in a CV gun happened to spot NOE dots going by the boat, I happened to have just gone wheels up in that direction from the base they were inbound to.  It is an interesting experience being simultaneously HOed by 6-8 P47s.  Then 3 augers occurred, then the remainder fought as much as you can in a P47 starting at 40 feet.

The 65 feet makes NOE with radar up near impossible except on water.  On the other hand, porking the dar down allows you to slide in under the 200 foot bardar altitude without showing on bardar.  If you were NOE with radar up, you'd still flash the base as soon as you hit the circle, the same as you do going into a porked base under bardar.  I just don't see that it makes that much difference, as generally speaking there's enough radar down on a front that there's no giant flashing "they are going here next" indication.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #259 on: August 21, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »
I remember why 200 was changed to 65, back then with our numbers it was a game play modification that achieved a positive result "at that time". Time and customers change the dynamics in the game which Hitech has always adjusted mechanics as a response. Right now helping customers want to do things in groups making themselves available willingly for combat as a cost of doing business to capture feilds is the problem. NOE was proven to create that condition as a carrot. So far everything is all stick and the targeted customer group is not impressed or frightened by the stick. They continue to sit in the tower, manned guns and wirbles flipping a middle stick at the circling fighter(s). And ch200 insults no longer have any power over them.

Nothing Hitech has ever done has magically put backbone in anyone. It is a human condition that those customers bring with them and find ways inside the game mechanics to play this game their way. Too many sharks for the last 5 years in a tiny sample population caused them to resort to sneaking around all the time. Which ended up being in GVs becasue 65ft is a harsh mistress for average players. With 200ft you will get more of them sneaking around in airplanes being available as scalps. Otherwise, figure out how to turn them into ACM geniuses with a skyyr 100% hit aimbot the moment they next log into the game.

They only thing they want to do is capture flags like this was a strategy game, they don't want to fight your way. And people want them punished for that and forced to fight against how they want to play this game. Life is cyclic so setting the minimum to 200ft is just part of a new cycle like when 65ft was time to end the first 200ft cycle. Our population density needed the change back then. Our population density has changed again needing another change as a response.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #260 on: August 21, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »
Yaknow I almost kinda miss the vtards. Cockroachs that they were, they were persistent little bastids and provided hours of targets for everyone. They could certainly conjure up a fight! Every once in a while they'd snag a base when everyone had logged for the night.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

They were not much of a fight if you got in the middle of them though. Still was fun though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #261 on: August 21, 2018, 12:40:24 PM »

Nothing Hitech has ever done has magically put backbone in anyone. It is a human condition that those customers bring with them and find ways inside the game mechanics to play this game their way. Too many sharks for the last 5 years in a tiny sample population caused them to resort to sneaking around all the time. Which ended up being in GVs becasue 65ft is a harsh mistress for average players. With 200ft you will get more of them sneaking around in airplanes being available as scalps.

SMH.   The entire game is a harsh mistrees for average players.    I've been doing this for a decade and it's still a harsh one for me.   Only a very few can be elite in any endeavor.  That's the way the world works.

Otherwise, figure out how to turn them into ACM geniuses with a skyyr 100% hit aimbot the moment they next log into the game.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Oh brother.   If you practiced like he did maybe you would be a good shot, too.   The guy took it seriously and had a different way of viewing the game.  Aimbot?   SMH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIBRzI8Dz8U  <----- :eek:

I had my issues with the guy, but you cannot deny he was good.   Part of the proof being he's still living rent free in a lot of heads.

You complain about ACM Sharks, yet Skyyr was the guy who clobbered them.  Indeed, every time an ACM Shark Hunter "Quint" appears the ACM Sharks complain until he is banned or leaves.  Skyyr wasn't a seal-clubber, he was a seal-clubber clubber.   He kept the "elites" on their toes.   There is nobody here to do that now and in many ways the game is worse off for it.

They only thing they want to do is capture flags like this was a strategy game, they don't want to fight [AT ALL].

Pretty strange behavior in a combat game.  That's the rub.  This is the problem.

And unless lots of AI is added I believe it pretty much has to be a 1 to 1 difficulty of surviving vs killing. Simply because every kill = 1 death.

Hitech

Bingo.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:50:22 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #262 on: August 21, 2018, 01:01:33 PM »

Oh brother.   If you practiced like he did maybe you would be a good shot, too.   The guy took it seriously and had a different way of viewing the game.  Aimbot?   SMH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIBRzI8Dz8U  <----- :eek:

I had my issues with the guy, but you cannot deny he was good.   Part of the proof being he's still living rent free in a lot of heads.

Flying with Skyyr was both a pleasure and a nightmare.   It's just the way it is with a guy who is a practiced, competitive genius.  If you wanted to get better back then you watched the videos he shared with his squadron.  He made dozens of these and they were very good.

As you said, "Everyone who flies with Skyyr gets instantly better."   This is true.   Why?  Because the guy knows/knew what he is/was doing.

<MUNCH>

Try treating this like it's a game to attract your customers.

<MUNCH>

What ever it was that skyyr gave his kiddies, it made them potent adversaries over night. He was a gamer and not concerned about the realistic aspects of our "game". So whatever he figured out, no mater how irritating, it worked for himself and whoever he gave it to quickly. That kept his kiddies coming back to him and helping him irritate the community. That is a quick success story based on treating this like a game.

(Interesting that you advocated treating it like a game yet found that activity an irritant.  Hmmm...)

These will help anyone even a noob--perhaps ESPECIALLY a noob.  Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wj8R8SmqQE

I spent hours in the DA with the guy practicing.   He even filmed those sorties and sent them to me. 

It's not magic.  It's a technique that requires PRACTICE, nothing more.  It's why I can saw apart bombers with impunity after years of considering them impossible to kill.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:36:01 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »

Difficulty is not the same as score'ability. Difficulty is rarely, or almost never 1 to 1. The war is build from ground up. Fields are taken by GVs, possibly supported or defended against by bombers and jabos (i.e., asymmetric), then possibly those are defended against by fighters (i.e., asymmetric again), and only then, and this happens rarely, its fighter vs fighter on top of that.

Score doesn't distinguish between shooting down a goon, or an enemy fighter that came in with energy and position advantage. And the outcome of the war is yet another completely different matter.

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »
NOE flights are still possible and the ability was never removed.  If you played the game you would know that.

I can't speak for the Rooks or the Knights, but on the Bishop side there were two players who did the majority of NOE missions in AH2--flakhapy and Reaper24. Flakhapy doesn't play any more and Reaper24 plays but not nearly so much; and on the rare occasion he puts together a mission it is rarely NOE, possibly because the maps are smaller and more crowded, NOE works best over (mostly) water, and there's too much likelihood of running into a CV or bad guy nowadays, despite the declining numbers, in such a mission. Oh, and it's hard to gather up the critical mass of players necessary for a successful outcome because we have those lower numbers.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2018, 02:10:33 PM »
The 65 feet makes NOE with radar up near impossible except on water.  On the other hand, porking the dar down allows you to slide in under the 200 foot bardar altitude without showing on bardar.  If you were NOE with radar up, you'd still flash the base as soon as you hit the circle, the same as you do going into a porked base under bardar.  I just don't see that it makes that much difference, as generally speaking there's enough radar down on a front that there's no giant flashing "they are going here next" indication.

Wiley.

If map makers would create more sea level areas on the land mass of the map, it would be easier to fly below 65ft.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2018, 02:24:22 PM »
If map makers would create more sea level areas on the land mass of the map, it would be easier to fly below 65ft.

What a novel idea. 
”KILLER V”

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
Kinda strange seeing the only version of AH you remember being called 'Classic'.

Has it been that long already?
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
the outcome of the war is yet another completely different matter.

The outcome of the war means nothing to me. I am here for the to fly WWII aircraft against other real folks flying WWII aircraft.

Usually the only time I am in a GV is when I am tired and want to be laid back.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
If you cannot capture or retain your target market then someone or some others are …….. why?

Who do you ask? those that left? those that never came?..  or those that stayed behind?

Is your product suited to your target market?

or (vis perspective)

Is your target market suited to your product?

Ludere Vincere