Author Topic: Aces High forgets my controller maps after closing the game  (Read 2258 times)

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
Aces High forgets my controller maps after closing the game
« on: August 14, 2018, 10:44:48 PM »
HI...Finn here- relatively inexperienced AH Player. I'm quite enjoying the game- although I expect to keep getting my butt han ded to me for some time! I dl'd AH because it has VR support, and that support has gotten pretty good reviews online! From my perspective-First, WOW! The Oculous Rift adaptation of Aces High exceeds my expectations!  It's immersive and smooth on my machine. Fantastic!
However, I find I'm having to remap my DH Stick and pedals every time I boot up the game.
Anybody else had and solved this problem?
My Sys Specs:  i7-8700 Cpu at 3.7 GHz with 32 GB of ram and an Nvidea Gtx1080. Controllers are a CH fighterstick USB and Propedals. I have a plain logitech mouse and a regular keyboard.

I've searched the forum for this, and while I saw one thread that seemed similar, I have not seen an answer to this particular question. Excuse me it this HAS been asked and answered in a previous thread.
Thanks
Finn

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Aces High forgets my controller maps after closing the game
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
Are you coming into the game from Occulus Library or Hard drive? I havent had this issue but I come in through the Standard DX11 shortcut on Desktop.  Yes, AH has really KNOCKED IT OUT with their Vr.  True, the flaming buttcheeks are an issue :uhoh  Time is the best treatment...at least thats what they keep telling me :x  There are quite a few players in VR that play on a regular basis. BW1stpar is my ingame call sign...US Eastern, but I am on at odd times occasionally...you see me FIRE away :uhoh wait I mean ask me any questions you have  :neener: See ya  :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 12:01:27 AM »
ALSO..one other thing to check...Are you running the SETTINGS Software that CH provides? Some times there can be issues,I ran into this with Saitech software. The Mapping IN GAME with Stadard Windows Drivers work better it seems...just an FYI :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:05:42 AM »
I'm launching with my desktop icon for AH. I use CH control manager only for calibration of the axes.
I'll keep trying to sort it out!
finn

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 12:14:36 AM »
 :aok Pretty sure if you remove the ch stuff,or disable it(IN case it doesnt work) and save your settings..this may just work for your issue. The axis calibration in game,is pretty close to what the Software offers. The mapping software issue has been kicked around quite often and this is usually a fix.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 12:20:20 AM by 1stpar3 »

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 12:30:42 AM »
ok, I'll try to disable it. I need it for other games tho'. Thanks!
finn

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 05:53:56 AM »
I remember a little over a year ago or so I saw where skuzzy posted about having to rename the settings folder?  Not sure if it was the whole folder or the .jsim file. Maybe he can chime in and remind us.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 06:25:50 AM »
If you are running any type of anti-xxxx software or security software, be sure to allow Aces High through it.  Many of those products will prevent us from saving changes to files.

Also note, if you install the game into any "/Program Files" folder, the game will not be able to update files due to Microsoft creating virtual folders and placing the contents where the game cannot find them to update them.

Another possibility, although I think it remote because it is happening every time is, if the CH gear is causing a USB reset, it can get a new ID and look like new gear to the game.  It is not unusual for CH gear to draw more power than the computer USB bus can supply.  That is usually remedied by using an externally powered USB hub.

Welcome to the game.  You might consider hooking up with a trainer to get some tips.  They are happy to help.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:31:03 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 06:39:53 AM »
I'm at work so I don't have it in front of me. I had a similar problem with my ch stuff and use a little program I want to say it's jstart? It just pops up at startup briefly and sort of pokes the CH stuff. I looked on CH hangar but didn't see it. Maybe somebody else here remembers. Anyway that stopped this from happening to me.

If not I'll look when I get home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »
I'm launching with my desktop icon for AH. I use CH control manager only for calibration of the axes.
I'll keep trying to sort it out!
finn

You should also go to "devices" in windows and calibrate all of your controllers then do the same in Aces High

Regardless if you are using CH Manager or not

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 06:09:07 PM »

Thanks for the help Scuzzy.
I've made sure my antivirus and firewall let AH through; I'm not installed to a programs file, and I run my CH stuff through a powered USB hub. So... this is weird.
I'm going to try eliminating the CH manager program.
Thanks again. I may have to hold off on AH until this particular bug gets solved in game software, but it's still a great implementation of VR- especially once I figured out how to use the num. keypad to look behind me!
That check 6 thing is kind of important! :)
finn

If you are running any type of anti-xxxx software or security software, be sure to allow Aces High through it.  Many of those products will prevent us from saving changes to files.

Also note, if you install the game into any "/Program Files" folder, the game will not be able to update files due to Microsoft creating virtual folders and placing the contents where the game cannot find them to update them.

Another possibility, although I think it remote because it is happening every time is, if the CH gear is causing a USB reset, it can get a new ID and look like new gear to the game.  It is not unusual for CH gear to draw more power than the computer USB bus can supply.  That is usually remedied by using an externally powered USB hub.

Welcome to the game.  You might consider hooking up with a trainer to get some tips.  They are happy to help.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 02:14:14 AM »
 :aokYes it is! If not mistaken...AcesHigh is the ONLY sim that still utilizes Hatswitches and Numpad to augment VR? Makes it a lot more conducive to keeping control surfaces where they SHOULD BE. Hope you get this figured out! :rock

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:04:44 AM »
By the way, when you make changes to the controller mappings and do not press "OK" after making said changes, they are not saved.  You have to press the "OK" button.

There is really nothing we can do about this without delving further into why your one computer cannot save the settings.  The stick configuration code has been stable for over 10 years.

What anti-virus are you running?  We know Kaspersky, Avast, and Norton (seems there was one more) will impact the game even when the applications are set to ignore the game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:09:07 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
Hey I found the info for the program I was talking about. It's CMStart not Jstart. Anyway it's part of the control manager software. The file is installed when the manager is installed. It's found in your CHProducts folder. Here's a tutorial on how to use it.

http://snomhf.exofire.net/cmstart.html

As I was saying before I had the same problem you did and this cleared it up. I want to say it happened when I went from XP to 7--so it's been a while. Once you set it up it'll run briefly at startup and you'll hear the "dading" as if something has been detected and the program closes right back out. Now your stuff is mapped at startup without having to go in and actually run CM. I have a hybrid setup at the moment with a VKB stick replaced my fighterstick but I'm still using the CH throttle. On top of that I use the control mapper in AH for everything but a dot command. That's where the CM or VKBDevConfig come in. No way to map them in AH that I know of.

Hope this helps.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline finnster

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 02:51:53 AM »
Thanks guy! I uninstalled the ch software and that seems to have solved thar probmem!  Ow i just have to suck less in the game.
😅😅