Author Topic: radio silence and Icons  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
radio silence and Icons
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
I do love the Koth Format and play whenever I remember it's going on, and I have time. There are two things I think would improve it.

1) enforce the no taking, radio silence rule. Some people narrate the action, and this gives warnings to players of other approaching players, and shouldn't be allowed.
2) ICONs with names should be turned off.  It's too easy for 'friends' and squaddies to gang up and kill non friends and squad members, even if they don;t talk on the radio. Anonymity would really make it a fair fight.    I know people will want to chance the rabbit but perhaps the rabbits ICON color could be different from all others. Once a player gets two wins, his ICON changes color. multiple rabbits means no one would know which rabbit was which. So squadmates could gang the non-squad rabbit first.

You get the idea..

:salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: radio silence and Icons
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 03:14:19 PM »
Vinkman I appreciate your opinions and you stepping up to help KOTH  :salute

As far as loose talk is concerned going back to the old 3 range and keeping tower communications IN THE TOWER is a far bigger deal, at least in my opinion. KOTH was always a self policing event to a degree and people talking about fights in the tower and keeping the comms there was critical. You could also go over rules or anything else a player asked a CM and NOT INTERFERE with the fight. Narrating a fight is not good but I myself say 'knock, knock' when entering a fight. Some players do that and some don't. I have zero problem with that and never did. That in a way also reinforced the fact that in KOTH when you get to a fight you engage the fight when you get there. You don't wait for them to finish like a ladder. That question does come up often from what I've seen.

I know of no way to turn off names. They pop up when close if you open the message window anyway. Reducing icon distance is the only thing we would be able to change there but I may not be familiar with some newer settings. Different icon for wabbit would be a wish list item as we can't do anything with that. What you do have is .wingman to highlight a wabbit, but that is a one icon deal so that limits you some.

I'll probably do this often as it's my reference so I apologize if the world has changed.  But 'way back when', I won't use 'In the good Ol' days', we used to put stuff like this up and ask KOTH players what THEY wanted.
Possibly overstepping my new CM shoes but what do you say KOTH participants???   
What are YOUR opinions?

I do love the Koth Format and play whenever I remember it's going on, and I have time. There are two things I think would improve it.

1) enforce the no taking, radio silence rule. Some people narrate the action, and this gives warnings to players of other approaching players, and shouldn't be allowed.
2) ICONs with names should be turned off.  It's too easy for 'friends' and squaddies to gang up and kill non friends and squad members, even if they don;t talk on the radio. Anonymity would really make it a fair fight.    I know people will want to chance the rabbit but perhaps the rabbits ICON color could be different from all others. Once a player gets two wins, his ICON changes color. multiple rabbits means no one would know which rabbit was which. So squadmates could gang the non-squad rabbit first.

You get the idea..

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 04:28:35 PM »
Vinkman I appreciate your opinions and you stepping up to help KOTH  :salute

I know of no way to turn off names. They pop up when close if you open the message window anyway. Reducing icon distance is the only thing we would be able to change there but I may not be familiar with some newer settings. Different icon for wabbit would be a wish list item as we can't do anything with that. What you do have is .wingman to highlight a wabbit, but that is a one icon deal so that limits you some.
ICONS are either ID or Plane type. There must be a way to set it to plane type only?
The Rabbits could be moved to a second team so they show up as RED icons. Aren't we currently all on the same team killing each other? Can it be set for two teams where you can still kill everyone?
If the Radio is used to id players, either set 'RANGE' to ZERO. or the whole arena width so everyone is on the radio until eliminated. Then you'd have some idea based on who is left, but even when it got down to 3, you would know which of the other planes where which.   seems fairer.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 09:01:36 PM »
ICONS are either ID or Plane type. There must be a way to set it to plane type only?
The Rabbits could be moved to a second team so they show up as RED icons. Aren't we currently all on the same team killing each other? Can it be set for two teams where you can still kill everyone?
If the Radio is used to id players, either set 'RANGE' to ZERO. or the whole arena width so everyone is on the radio until eliminated. Then you'd have some idea based on who is left, but even when it got down to 3, you would know which of the other planes where which.   seems fairer.  :salute

Would you have a new map with two fields next to each other? Or busy the CM with having to change the field designation?
Can you adjust the range at which a persons gameID shows up in the message window display? Far as I know we can set icon distance and I don't think that ties into range channel at all.
I really have not finished all my training yet so maybe this ol dog has a thing or two to learn  :pray
I'd love an icon only for plane type and we all know that anyway. And if you forget... look in your cockpit  ;)
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 12:22:07 PM »
Would you have a new map with two fields next to each other? Or busy the CM with having to change the field designation?
Can you adjust the range at which a persons gameID shows up in the message window display? Far as I know we can set icon distance and I don't think that ties into range channel at all.
I really have not finished all my training yet so maybe this ol dog has a thing or two to learn  :pray
I'd love an icon only for plane type and we all know that anyway. And if you forget... look in your cockpit  ;)

I'm with you fuse. Thanks for considering.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 03:34:20 PM »
And maybe the biggest thing is just getting players back in the event and helping it get to where it once was.
Need eyes out there keeping it all on the up and up.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 12:49:23 AM »
I personally hate the new range/local/room channel

I wish HT would put the option into the CM commands, so the KOTH CM's could check the flag to switch how the range/local/room channel worked like it used to be

The new range/local/room channel has really put a thorn in the KOTH event

But with that said, I will not change the way I have always played KOTH!

I will announce that I am entering a fight with 2 or more already going at it, just like I will still call out any other player that is beginning to enter a fight that I might be dogfighting/engaged with 1 or multiple others

I find that it helps teach the newer players to practice their SA (situational awareness) and be constantly observant of their surroundings

I have never been warned or called out about doing this, since flying KOTH events going all the way back to AirWarrior and then when HTC let the event to continue here in Aces High

My views and thoughts

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
The the icons the way they are.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 06:33:03 PM »
We may have to start a collection to bribe Mr. Addink.   :)

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 09:51:00 PM »

If Dale is running short on his supply of scotch, I'll help supply him a case......

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 12:36:12 AM »
Tower vox never made sense even in MA...hate logging on to some armchair general trying to tell everyone what to do.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »

We only need $40.11    :devil

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »

But with that said, I will not change the way I have always played KOTH!

I will announce that I am entering a fight with 2 or more already going at it, just like I will still call out any other player that is beginning to enter a fight that I might be dogfighting/engaged with 1 or multiple others

In violation of the KOTH rules.   Which rules can I violate?

Who is John Galt?

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
In violation of the KOTH rules.   Which rules can I violate?

Show me the rule that says "players still flying in the round, are not allowed to use range(purple) channel vox to "voice" that he/she is entering / engaging in a fight that 2 or more already going at it"

Show me the rule that says "players still flying in the round, are not allowed to use range(purple) channel vox to "voice" to the other(s) that he/she is already engaged fighting with that another player is fixing to join the dogfight/furball

Search through the complete "KOTH forum" and post links to even just 1 individual thread or post that says I violated the KOTH event rules.....

I do not narrate the action while I am still in the fight or up flying

And ever since the way HTC has changed the way the range/local/room channel works, I have refrained from posting text or talking once I have been sent to the Tower out of respect for those still up flying!

Before the range/local/room channel was changed, players and the CMs could talk in the tower about fighting that was still going on using the room(purple) vox.... Players and CMs would even "as you think of it" narrate kinda for those who couldn't or didn't use the CMeye mode from the tower!

Players that have already been downed/sent to the Tower have always been encouraged to help watch the different players and dogfights still going to help the KOTH CM's police the event! doing so by calling out any player violating a rule, which one can use the KOTH event main vox 101 channel or the other in this case

Hope this helps

TC

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 08:42:13 PM »
<Snip> Narrating a fight is not good but I myself say 'knock, knock' when entering a fight. Some players do that and some don't. I have zero problem with that and never did. That in a way also reinforced the fact that in KOTH when you get to a fight you engage the fight when you get there. You don't wait for them to finish like a ladder. That question does come up often from what I've seen.
<Snip>

Bold text for part of my reasoning.

If we don't all go over here, https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,394004.0.html ,  and voice our opinion of the old range channel and KOTH, I will read the rules for 20 minutes!!!

Used to hear some good talk INSIDE the tower during KOTHs.

[ 12 aluminum cans for the bribe HiTech fund so far  :rofl  ]  I'll even give up and donate my common cents, the two pennies I found at the supermarket the other day. So thats 12x$0.05 and $0.02
 :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:49:49 PM by fuzeman »