Author Topic: Audio issue - microphone settings  (Read 941 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Audio issue - microphone settings
« on: August 28, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
The input boost setting for the microphone (only when using VR) doesn't seem to stick. Every time I run the game in VR mode, it seems to forget the slider position and sets it to zero (and no one can hear me when I speak)...

Unless SKuzzy did that ...so no one can here me when I speak...  :noid
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Audio issue - microphone settings
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »
That usually means another application is effecting the setting preventing it from being changed permanently.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:13:04 AM »
I used to suffer from that. Supposing the settings are similar in the screen version, the first thing to do was to uncheck "Enable auto mic db boost" in the Voice settings.

Another potential reason for why I haven't suffered from that issue during the last few months is that I haven't been talking on Skype for a while. Skype has a similar automatic mic boost system which may leave the settings changed. Other speech recording/transmitting programs may do the same. Apparently they all modify Windows settings on the fly unless the automatic system is disabled.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 02:59:50 AM »
I've had the same problem, as in last night's Monday Night Madness in the AvA.
Glad for the tip, I'll try to find a way around it.
I use both Skype and VLC media player. Either and both could be causing my problems.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 01:42:29 PM »
I’ve had random issues with the mic not transitioning between the Oculus and desktop mic used with TrackIR.  When this happens, a check of the windows playback/recording menu reveals the default setting. Changing over to the desired mic source solves the problem.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
Taking off my Rift, let the game switch to desktop mode, then putting the Rift back on almost always results in the mic boost being zero'd. The boost also seems to creep down even with the auto setting off.

... a check of the windows playback/recording menu reveals the default setting. Changing over to the desired mic source solves the problem.

Is this in AH3s menus or Windows settings? Does changing the mic source persist or will it default back again later?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:39:36 AM by doright »
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:41:36 PM »
I'm wondering if it's related to some of the sound settings for Recording (through settings/sound/recording/advance tab) where you have the checkbox in Exclusive Mode checkbox "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"... and "Give exclusive mode application priority"

Is that causing the issues? It's in both Playback and Recording tabs

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:45:45 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:09:47 PM »
You may well be right. The term "Recording" seems to be used quite loosely in Windows (and other OS'es as well) as an opposite of "Playback" so any microphone related activity can be "Recording" no matter if the captured sound is saved or transmitted.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 06:30:56 AM »
Taking off my Rift, let the game switch to desktop mode, then putting the Rift back on almost always results in the mic boost being zero'd. The boost also seems to creep down even with the auto setting off.

Is this in AH3s menus or Windows settings? Does changing the mic source persist or will it default back again later?

It is all Windows.  We just present a different look to the same dialog.  If it changes, then something outside of the game is changing it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 11:15:17 AM »

It’s in the windows settings.  It seems to have settled down and hasn’t happened in over a month.  When it first occurred, I checked the game settings and raised the mic volume. 

All gave some, Some gave all