Author Topic: WWI Tues?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
WWI Tues?
« on: September 18, 2018, 08:58:52 PM »
I just happen to log on and saw 12 people in WWI!  :x :x :x :x

Logged off and by the time I got my Vive working properly, I came back and they were gone!!!!!  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

But me and another guy just had a lot of fun just putzing around.  Even with just two it was pretty fun.  (Even if the fields are just a tad close together.  :cool:)

Man, I think it is a crying shame that nothing more was ever done with the WWI arena.  Those planes are so much fun to fly at tree top level at the edge of their envelope.  The flight modeling is superb.  ESPECIALLY with VR.  With goggles it is insanely awesome.  I think WWI is a MUCH better fit for the Vive.  Simple controls.  No trim, and flags, and gear, and this, and that.  All you need is a stick and a trigger!!!

I don't know if there is already a traditional night to meet for WWI, but if we had one, to gather the few who like the WWI at one place and time, I think could have a ton of fun in there.  If we could agree upon a single place and time that people could feel confident to find others in there, we could get a thing going.  I know the Main is well ... the Main, but just an hour or so one night a week for something different?

I'd recommend Tues nights.  Maybe 8pm Central?  I'd commit to being there.  I'm an excellent target drone, when I'm not stalling into an early grave. 

Any other night suggestion?  I could do Mon, Tues, Thurs.  Tues is ideal for me.

Anybody?  :pray :pray :pray

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:02:07 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
Re: WWI Tues?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »
Change of Map
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-
               Wait n Bleed

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:01:19 PM »
Change of Map

That makes sense.

Still, it would be cool to pick a night anyone interested in WWI could plan to meet and feel confident to find others there.

:joystick:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 11:04:06 PM »
When I went in, there were 17.

Good thing you missed the cheap shot vulching that was going on before you got in.  Completely necessary and spoiled the normal great fun to normally be had.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:17:45 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 11:13:44 PM »
Good thing you missed the cheap shot vulching that was going on before you got in.  Completely necessary and spoiled the normal great fun to normally be had.

That sucks.

So next Tues.  8pm Central.

I promise not to vulch you.  :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
That sucks.

So next Tues.  8pm Central.

I promise not to vulch you.  :D

Me neither! To much time wasted when fun can be had.   :salute

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 05:51:38 AM »
One would think with the chivalry and gallantry of aerial combat in WWI a dirty deed like vulching a defenseless enemy would be WAY below any aviators moral standards...

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 09:09:27 AM »
I think it would be helpful if the WWI arena message outlined "Age of Chivalry" code of conduct.  Primarily no vulching of lifting aircraft (landing aircraft are fair game).  It would also be helpful if a designated VOX channel were listed so that all sides could communicate.  This way you could still use range VOX as side specific.  Since the map is so small this VOX arrangement works well.  The WWI arena is a lot of fun as a change from the main and I always look for players using it.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 09:41:51 AM »
The WWI arena is a lot of fun as a change from the main and I always look for players using it.

Agreed.  WWI will never replace the LW Main, but for an hour or so, it is a very nice change of pace.  Variety, after all, is the spice of life.

I've been checking and never see anyone in there.  Of course other people are maybe doing the same thing waiting for someone else to go in. 

If we all picked a single day and time to dedicate to WWI, then we could reach a critical mass and people could be confident of finding action then.  Even people who normal only haunt the LW Melee, I'm only asking to give it a try for one hour, one day a week. 

I'll be there Tues at 8pm Central.

<S>

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 10:13:07 AM »
I think it would be helpful if the WWI arena message outlined "Age of Chivalry" code of conduct.  Primarily no vulching of lifting aircraft (landing aircraft are fair game). 

Why is it fair game vulching landing aircraft?  Even less skill, scratch that, NO skill involved in the cheapest of cheap shots.  For sure doesn’t equate with “Age of Chivalry” code of conduct.  Those who vulch aircraft taking off and/or landing have little else in their skill set.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
Why is it fair game vulching landing aircraft?  Even less skill, scratch that, NO skill involved in the cheapest of cheap shots.  For sure doesn’t equate with “Age of Chivalry” code of conduct.  Those who vulch aircraft taking off and/or landing have little else in their skill set.

Well, I'm not sure how much "Chivalry" there really was after about the first year.  Flechettes don't seem very chivalrous.  :O  But that's another discussion... 

In our case, just moving the fields a tiny bit further apart and putting a few machine gun emplacements on the perimeter would probably solve that.  I'd prefer to rely on 30 cal over Chivalry.   :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 11:06:31 AM »
In our case, just moving the fields a tiny bit further apart and putting a few machine gun emplacements on the perimeter would probably solve that.  I'd prefer to rely on 30 cal over Chivalry.   :D

Or leave the fields as they are (quicker fights that way) and the vulchers go back to the Melee.  The smaller numbers of non vulching players always result in a lot of fun.  :D  :salute

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »

Because if you are in combat you need to clear the sky of enemy long enough to land.  It is too easy to cry "kings X" if you start to lose a fight.  Think of all the ack huggers/runners we have now in the MA.  WWI aerial dogfighting is a knife fight in the extreme.  The map fields will either have to be further apart to allow you to disengage from a fight or there needs to be a "combat area" designated on the map.  If you are outside of the combat area then it is hands off.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:54 AM »
Because if you are in combat you need to clear the sky of enemy long enough to land.  It is too easy to cry "kings X" if you start to lose a fight.  Think of all the ack huggers/runners we have now in the MA.  WWI aerial dogfighting is a knife fight in the extreme.  The map fields will either have to be further apart to allow you to disengage from a fight or there needs to be a "combat area" designated on the map.  If you are outside of the combat area then it is hands off.

In the LW Melee I wouldn't hesitate to shred you if you were taking off or landing and your field ack was down.  Sorry, I'm just a terrible person and War is Hell.  :t

But in the WWI arena currently, since the fields are literally right on top of each other and have no defensive emplacements I'll leave you alone over your field under 500ft alt. If you are circling over your field to gain alt, or leave the perimeter, you start becoming fair game.

Beyond the field perimeter, I'm not taking the time to check my map to see if I'm in some "zone".

<S>

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 12:05:25 PM »
I have not been in the WWI arena in awhile, but it is allot of fun when everyone gets on the same vox channel.   Any number in the 200's will work so both sides can talk.  :aok

:salute

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)