Author Topic: Rift headset lock-up in game?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Rift headset lock-up in game?
« on: October 13, 2018, 05:30:02 PM »
Had a new experience today during the Pantellaria Scenario.  My headset locked up, while the game apparently kept running in the background.  Was very strange I was talking with my squaddies who were reporting me to be diving, while to my eyes I was locked on to the SL's six, although view in the headset was locked up, and other than that, and that it looked as if my plane was surrounded on all sides inside a black box.  When I took the headset off the monitor looked as if it was normal in-game as I splatted into the water.   After that I was in tower, as usual.  I rebooted and relogged before I went back into the Scenario.

Strange, it's the only time I've seen this happen, and hope it doesn't happen again.  The only thing I learned from it was if it happens again I should remove the rift, and see if I can finish out the sortie flying just using the monitor and hat-views.  Any one else have any experience with this and any tips for fixes or avoiding it?

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Rift headset lock-up in game?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »
Found a clue.  I had it happen again in the MA.  It seemed to be associated with hat switch commands I had associated with TrackIR on my throttle, which seemed to cause a conflict and screw something up on the headset.  I had not been using this set of switches, but apparently hit one in flight and at least  temporarily screwed things up.   So I changed those settings to non-TIR.  Hopefully this solves it.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »
Do you have the trackir software running while using vr?

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:53:00 PM »
Do you have the trackir software running while using vr?

No, I don't even have it installed since I did a clean re-install of the whole system a few month back.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
Strange. Just out of curiosity was the tracker pause button mapped in game for your trackir, and you happened to hit that?  I get the black boxes with the hour glass pauses occasionally but it only lasts a couple seconds.

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »
I seem to recall using the head tracker pause in game before with vr and having to reboot. My memory is a bit fuzzy on that though

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 10:58:23 PM »
Like you got KICKED TO DESKTOP? Just froze the Headset? I have had THIS happen a couple times, its not a "REGULAR Kick to desktop" as sound still plays...I get it with using HAT SWITCHES...mostly it will be a small freeze with hourglass, like 2 seconds max. Seems to happen more inside like first 5 minutes of starting game.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 06:50:30 AM »
Found a clue.  I had it happen again in the MA.  It seemed to be associated with hat switch commands I had associated with TrackIR on my throttle, which seemed to cause a conflict and screw something up on the headset.  I had not been using this set of switches, but apparently hit one in flight and at least  temporarily screwed things up.   So I changed those settings to non-TIR.  Hopefully this solves it.

Sounds like you found the problem.  Turning off TIR in AH3 settings turns off VR. Pausing TIR probably causes a problem with VR restarting.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »
Sounds like you found the problem.  Turning off TIR in AH3 settings turns off VR. Pausing TIR probably causes a problem with VR restarting.

Yes, I think this was it.  I had not been actively using that switch for the better part of a year, and could not recall what I had mapped on it until I associated it with the freeze and looked into how it was set up.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:30:05 AM »
Strange. Just out of curiosity was the tracker pause button mapped in game for your trackir, and you happened to hit that?  I get the black boxes with the hour glass pauses occasionally but it only lasts a couple seconds.

I think I did something like this or what you described in your next post Clu.  In my case, at least in the scenario, the headset seemed to have flat totally locked.  There was a hourglass thing in there too.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »
Like you got KICKED TO DESKTOP? Just froze the Headset? I have had THIS happen a couple times, its not a "REGULAR Kick to desktop" as sound still plays...I get it with using HAT SWITCHES...mostly it will be a small freeze with hourglass, like 2 seconds max. Seems to happen more inside like first 5 minutes of starting game.

It only locked the headset, once I took off the headset, the game looked normal on my monitor.  But I wanted to get back in the scenario so I might find you 1stpar   :devil,  so I rebooted the whole system so I could start again clean.  I think I have it solved by re-assigning that particular switch to non-TIR commands.    :airplane:

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
EH,PERDWEEB found me TWICE :furious At least I didnt suffer...much :rofl Glad you figured it out :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
....... At least I didnt suffer...much :rofl ......

....as long as you had fun it's all good   :joystick: :airplane: :airplane: