Author Topic: Its time to perk the Yak3 and La7  (Read 14035 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Its time to perk the Yak3 and La7
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
Yak3 does deserve a lower ENY based on usage and impact.  The La7 already disappears pretty rapidly when ENY kicks in just like Ponies and Spits.  Not so worries about them.  Dora still needs a lower ENY as well.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »
Agreed. Just lower the ENY. No need to perk them.

Its also interesting that there are a lot of 5 ENY planes that are used much less than those monsters.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 09:36:00 AM »
This

If you compare the Yak3 to the spit16. The Yak3 has a much higher K/D at 1.54 than the spit16 at a 1.18 both with relatively the same kills. This proves without a doubt that the Yak3 is much harder to kill, same with the 190D. There is no better evidence to suggest that both of these planes ENYs should be reduced to the same as the Spit16 and La7. There are just too many in the MA. It's making for tired gameplay. These planes just force more people to fly timidly and in late war planes just to be able to have a chance, and that slows down fights. It's a phenomenon that I've noticed for a while now. I highly suggest Hitech takes a look into this. There just needs to be more balance in the fighters in the MA.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:39 AM »
Months ago I used to love flying the Yak-3 - small aircraft - basically a small dude with decent hip guns and a big :banana:

Lately, if I fly the 3 I feel like I'm cheating and I need a shower when I land kills with it. So I don't fly it anymore even though its a great ride!  :airplane:

It definately needs a small perk or at a minimum a 5 ENY.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:55:16 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 05:12:21 PM »
I agree with atlau. They need to lower some of the plane ENY. Also I have been saying this for years that the seafire needs to be at least 25 ENY. For crying out loud the 109g14 is 25 ENY and carries ord also.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 07:33:58 PM »
Today I did a test with all the Yak's and La's. Put them in the drone circle then behind them at 200 with the C202 and only the 12.5 on the hood. On average all the Yaks except for the Yak3 resisted 2-3 trigger taps into the 6 of the fuselage then exploded. The Yak3 averaged 3-4 which I suspect the lower end number I was shooting into the cockpit side becasue the Yak3 is such a tiny target and it was easy to float slightly inside of the drone circle path trying to stay in path with a larger plane. I thought it was about the size of the Yak7 which it is not very hardy in this test. The La's lasted up to 3 but, surprisingly had many 2's and rounds like with the none Yak3 part of the family would catch in the wings frequently. No Teflon coating on all of those I guess. The Yak3 was hard to hit in the wings with a lot of misses sliding past like the wings were painted with Teflon.

Then I upped the anti with a G2 to use a 20mm and a button mapped for only the 20mm. The none Yak3 part of the family and La's would take 2-3 and explode and no Teflon coating issues. The Yak3 was all over the place, sometimes 2 would do it up to one test I caused all of the fuel tanks to leak, set it on fire, cut the tail assembly to pieces, then it exploded from about the 6th 20mm to hit it. A number just slipped past the wings and the fuselage like it was coated with that Copper Chef ceramic\metal coating.

Both the Yak7b and Yak3 have K105 engine so their fuselage general cross section is not too different. The Yak7 has a 32ft wingspan while the Yak3 has a 30ft wingspan. Even the La5\7 both have a 32ft wingspan. But, in our game only the Yak3 based on flying against it and the input now from many veteran players has a Teflon coating unless you can aim like Carlos Hathcock. And the few times I've flown it, conga lines firing on my six had to have been the worst shooters in the game or, it is a magic plane for newbies to survive in and we all should just fly the Yak3 from now on.

Based on maybe the 30ft wingspan and 27ft fuselage of the Yak3 is deciding it's slipperiness, then the Yak9u should be much harder to shoot down then the La family since it has a 31ft wingspan and it's fuselage is only 1ft longer than the Yak3's. But then it does take some skill to land kills with the Yak-9u.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 08:06:35 PM »
Today I did a test with all the Yak's and La's. Put them in the drone circle then behind them at 200 with the C202 and only the 12.5 on the hood. On average all the Yaks except for the Yak3 resisted 2-3 trigger taps into the 6 of the fuselage then exploded. The Yak3 averaged 3-4 which I suspect the lower end number I was shooting into the cockpit side becasue the Yak3 is such a tiny target and it was easy to float slightly inside of the drone circle path trying to stay in path with a larger plane. I thought it was about the size of the Yak7 which it is not very hardy in this test. The La's lasted up to 3 but, surprisingly had many 2's and rounds like with the none Yak3 part of the family would catch in the wings frequently. No Teflon coating on all of those I guess. The Yak3 was hard to hit in the wings with a lot of misses sliding past like the wings were painted with Teflon.

Then I upped the anti with a G2 to use a 20mm and a button mapped for only the 20mm. The none Yak3 part of the family and La's would take 2-3 and explode and no Teflon coating issues. The Yak3 was all over the place, sometimes 2 would do it up to one test I caused all of the fuel tanks to leak, set it on fire, cut the tail assembly to pieces, then it exploded from about the 6th 20mm to hit it. A number just slipped past the wings and the fuselage like it was coated with that Copper Chef ceramic\metal coating.

Both the Yak7b and Yak3 have K105 engine so their fuselage general cross section is not too different. The Yak7 has a 32ft wingspan while the Yak3 has a 30ft wingspan. Even the La5\7 both have a 32ft wingspan. But, in our game only the Yak3 based on flying against it and the input now from many veteran players has a Teflon coating unless you can aim like Carlos Hathcock. And the few times I've flown it, conga lines firing on my six had to have been the worst shooters in the game or, it is a magic plane for newbies to survive in and we all should just fly the Yak3 from now on.

Based on maybe the 30ft wingspan and 27ft fuselage of the Yak3 is deciding it's slipperiness, then the Yak9u should be much harder to shoot down then the La family since it has a 31ft wingspan and it's fuselage is only 1ft longer than the Yak3's. But then it does take some skill to land kills with the Yak-9u.

So in short, the 20mm cannons are less effective against the Yak 3 only?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 10:02:41 PM »
Do you mean you did this offline with the offline drones? Are you sure that the damage model for those things works the same as the one in the combat arenas? You can shoot the wings off and they can be on fire and still circle, unless something has changed.
Pies not kicks.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:22 PM »
Thanks for doing the test Bustr.

I also think it makes it very hard to kill them because of how agile they are, while also blending in with the environment. Offline they don't wobble and flip while accelerating rapidly away from you. On top of that it's a tougher than a P47 and can pretty much track down a P47 in most situations.

The yak9u is a good yak. It was fun for the game. The Yak3 is just a nusance.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »
hmmm some time ago somewhere I made a wish post about perking or giving the yak3 a eny value of a pony d or something similar, and you all bit my head off. now you are seeing the light. have you nay sayers ever just sit back and watch the yak3's just zip around shooting other planes down, I have it's not a pretty sight, at least for the folks falling out of the sky. I don't care if they eny the 190-D9 or the LA7, but the yak3 does need a eny value.
+1 for yak3 eny, the cruising speed is like 308-310mph get alt and dive and you're not going to catch it.
the Spit14 used to be perked but they took that away- why do some want the Spit 16 perked the 14 is faster than the 16?
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »
Ive been toying with the spit 14 and it flies very differently from the spit 16 and it gets less kills than the 8, 9, and 16.

Honestly its more like a k4 but with 10% of its WEP. Very fast at med to high alt and with an excellent climb rate. But not nearly as agile as the other spits and tricky torque effects make it less useful in the low alt MA arena. While the k4 can up to defend a base and then run down a 51 or d9 the 14 cant. Overall id say a k4 is a better MA plane except for its hard to learn tater gun.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:36:19 AM by atlau »

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:46 AM »
Ive been toying with the spit 14 and it flies very differently from the spit 16 and it gets less kills than the 8, 9, and 16.

Honestly its more like a k4 but with 10% of its WEP. Very fast at med to high alt and with an excellent climb rate. But not nearly as agile as the other spits and tricky torque effects make it less useful in the low alt MA arena. While the k4 can up to defend a base and then run down a 51 or d9 the 14 cant. Overall id say a k4 is a better MA plane except for its hard to learn tater gun.

yeah it flies wonky-esp at lower speeds-flies better the faster you got but like you said its not agile even at lower speeds.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
Yes and its not well suited for high speed dives like the p51, 47 or fws so its trickier to use that climb to your advantage to chase them down.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2018, 11:12:10 AM »

Pretty good analysis but my K4 can never catch a 190D unless I'm right on top of it. The K4 is better than the spit14, but the 2 20s and 50s make it easier for a new player to get kills. I find that you really have to know what you are doing to set up shots in the K4, which is why most don't fly it. I don't fly the spit14 because my wings rip off every time haha. The spit14 just doesn't feel right to me.

The spit16 has a lower K/D than the Yak3 because more newer players fly it and it's easier to shoot at than the yak3. They are both very similar. The Yak3 though is just much harder to shoot at because of the color of the plane, the size of the wings, and durability of the plane. They both get around the same amount of kills but the Yak3 can squirm it's way out of trouble just a tad bit better than the spit16. That's saying something!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2018, 11:59:39 AM »
The k4 is definitely harder to setup shots compared to the good ballistics of the spit 14. And its a sturdy plane that you can man handle at higher speeds without losing parts.

In any case d9s are like gnats you gotta chase off but rarely worth your time running down only to waste your ammo as they stir their butts off.