Author Topic: New to VR  (Read 2664 times)

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
New to VR
« on: December 01, 2018, 04:33:04 AM »
Having not played for 3 years I returned a few weeks ago. I have been messing around with a Dk2. After much tweaking I have finally managed to get it to function with an outdated FX6300 and a 7800 card. I'm getting consistent 80fps at reasonable settings and I am genuinely amazed at the experience. I have to take my hat off to HTC, it is easily the most user friendly VR access I have found, including DCS and Elite Dangerous. The WW1 aircraft are an absolute revelation.  :banana:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: New to VR
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:16:19 AM »
Welcome back.   :aok

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
Having not played for 3 years I returned a few weeks ago. I have been messing around with a Dk2. After much tweaking I have finally managed to get it to function with an outdated FX6300 and a 7800 card. I'm getting consistent 80fps at reasonable settings and I am genuinely amazed at the experience. I have to take my hat off to HTC, it is easily the most user friendly VR access I have found, including DCS and Elite Dangerous. The WW1 aircraft are an absolute revelation.  :banana:

Yes, the VR here is amazing IMHO!  Welcome back to the game!   :salute

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 06:40:06 AM »
Just got A Vive Pro. Do I need to subscribe to AH via Steam for it to worK?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:59 AM »
Just got A Vive Pro. Do I need to subscribe to AH via Steam for it to worK?

You have to create an account, but you do not need to subscribe.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
I have an account.

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:14:29 AM »
I just saw a post that DX11 was required. I am on DX9. Graphics card is 1080ti.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 07:35:58 AM »
I just saw a post that DX11 was required. I am on DX9. Graphics card is 1080ti.

If your operating system is Windows 7 or later, you'll have Dx11 as well. Just choose the right icon on your desktop or if you don't see the Dx11 version, go to the game folder, right click the Dx11 version and Send an icon for it to the Desktop.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
I got an Oculus for Christmas.  My question is in the placement of the sensors. I  built myself a corner desk some time ago. They say to place them 6 feet apart. Well on a corner desk 6 feet apart also means 3 feet closer to where I sit.

Should I have them further apart or less because I'm close?

Should I have them pointing at me/ converging at my seat, or pointing parallel to each other past me?

The first day they worked great,  but the next day I got an error that one of my sensors had a weak connection to the headset. Any help would be great.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 10:06:19 AM »
Mine both point slightly down but directly at my head.   They each are about 3 feet away from my head.  One on either side, about 30 degrees to the front and either side of where I sit.  I fussed with them some during the set-up routine, but in practice, sitting at my desk and flying in AH3 they don't seem too fussy about placement.

I've never got the weak signal error, USB issue as a guess?  Hope you get it up running and it works well for you Fugi!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 10:48:53 AM »
Sensor placement is not critical like with TIR. You only need one sensor to see the headset. Put them where it's convenient and don't worry about it. The error was likely from the USB connection.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
i use only one sensor, placed about 4 feet away from my face at 30deg angle. Works just fine.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
I got an Oculus for Christmas.  My question is in the placement of the sensors. I  built myself a corner desk some time ago. They say to place them 6 feet apart. Well on a corner desk 6 feet apart also means 3 feet closer to where I sit.

Should I have them further apart or less because I'm close?

Should I have them pointing at me/ converging at my seat, or pointing parallel to each other past me?

The first day they worked great,  but the next day I got an error that one of my sensors had a weak connection to the headset. Any help would be great.
Oculus has a SET UP program for sensors. It walks you through everything, safe zone,sensor setup, distance and checks for PROPER distances and angles for tracking. This was first thing i HAD TO DO(meaning a lot of this was un skip able, when I got mine). Any time I move things around I still run this setup. Might be why I have never had a "re centering" or tracking problem :uhoh     I am starting to understand more about how this community operates. does no one read directions or follow set up programs? :headscratch: It has pictures even :old:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 01:25:48 PM by 1stpar3 »
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
Oculus has a SET UP program for sensors. It walks you through everything, safe zone,sensor setup, distance and checks for PROPER distances and angles for tracking. This was first thing i HAD TO DO(meaning a lot of this was un skip able, when I got mine). Any time I move things around I still run this setup. Might be why I have never had a "re centering" or tracking problem :uhoh     I am starting to understand more about how this community operates. does no one read directions or follow set up programs? :headscratch: It has pictures even :old:

Yes I ran through those setup procedures, and everything worked fine the first day. I turned it on the following day and I got a "weak signal" error on one of my sensors. It displayer that the USB was connected, but had a yellow light for a weak signal and wouldn't let me start Oculus until I fixed that issue. I haven't had time to mess with it, nor will I until this weekend, but I was posting hoping to have some good tips to try out.

This is the error...…

…and when you click on "reset Sensor Tracking" It doesnt seem to do anything.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »
Try swapping the other sensor, if it has the same issue try a different USB port.