Author Topic: iron sights default view - calibration off?  (Read 738 times)

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
iron sights default view - calibration off?
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:21:37 PM »
I never had much luck hitting anything with the 37mm field gun (except some lucky shots at high deflections).

Today I hit some buildings, including attempts to hit the flag pole (for no particularly reason, just watching a field with ack down for a few minutes). This shows that the bullets didn't hit where the iron sights were point to. I tried resetting the view (home), but it was at default. I tried the 20mm and 40mm at the fleet, they also seem to be off.

Screenshot attached, with .target at 600.

If its off just for me, or others too? Is it the wide FoV setting? Graphics driver?
Or is it off for everyone, and noone noticed, because everyone is shooting with dots painted on their screens?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: iron sights default view - calibration off?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:55:39 PM »
dispersion cone and ballistic drop,those 2 things effect where the round hits.

600 yds is pretty far,try 300 and closer and see how close the rounds come to aim point. You will never see all the rounds hit the same place and there are always a few fliers if you fire enough rounds.

Go offline increase ammo count,flightmodeflags,groundguns ammo multi,set to 10,then set target to different ranges and you will see the dispersion effect/drop.

hope this helps.

:salute

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:04:43 AM »
Large number of shots fired, at various distances - they all hit exactly the same hole. There's 0 (visible) dispersion. Its mounted to the ground, not on a comparatively light aircraft (compared to earth), but true 0 zeems a bit low?

I think I see now what the offset is: The sight is mounted to the right of the barrel, so the shots hit slightly to the left.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »
With the 37mm you can set your zero to 1000 using the offline target and no TR or VR enabled. Use the page up and page down keys with the target set for 1000. In real life guns like this were set to about 1500 or 3000 for zero and you learned to adjust. How it's set in the game, 200-800 is about halfway down the center spike inside the center ring. 1000 is just above the first radi lead ring. The rings are not for range but instead for lead calculation while the gunner watched the tracers. If you set the bottom of the first ring to 1500, then half way down between the first ring and second is roughly 2500. Small arms gunnery like our 37mm was a matter of skill and experience like learning to skeet shoot.

The Outside of the iron ring is 140Mil and knowing the m\sec of the round, then calculating for 250, 300, 350, 400mph. You can create a lead chart at range. AAF gunners had them while talking about lead as number of radi of the gunsight. And how do I know this, learned all of it while doing the years of research that resulted in the AH3 historic reticles in the game.

Find a copy online of the Aircrewmans Gunnery Manual. Find a manual or just the ammo specs for the Flak 36 3.7cm. Past 1500 dispersion makes it hard to hit planes smaller than a bomber.

Oh, it's not called calibration it's called "zeroing" and you could always see what it was at any time offline using the target. Waffle seems to have chosen about 400 for it's zero. After that your problems are speed of the con, lead, under or over for angle off and dispersion at range. It's a wonder anyone hits anything in this game with one of those at 120rnds\min. To bad Hitech didn't give us the twin barrel Flak 43 or update the gunsight.

You want to be able to zero your 37mm or, turn on the lead computing sight and shoot at a drone from 800-1500 away. Place the offline terrain from this download in your ah3terr directory, it only works offline. Fill the drone slots with planes and pick the most south 37mm which will spawn you on the mesa above the field under the drones. Spawn a wirble up there or fill the drone slots with tanks and spawn N, E to shoot at them long range at the tank gunnery ranges. Keep in mind the drones are flying by at 250.

Download: ====>   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i3N1PhAckNls_53ZA4hHPk5UnGK4jY-W/view?usp=sharing
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:07:34 PM »
Past 1500 dispersion makes it hard to hit planes smaller than a bomber.

Thanks for all the explanations. But this one seems weird. I'm not seeing any dispersion. See screenshot. It's not single shots, but multiple rounds fired at each distance, then target pulled in to 100 to take the screenshot. How much dispersion should I be seeing?

Waffle seems to have chosen about 400 for it's zero.

Cannot reproduce, for me it seems to be zeroed at 0 yards, 2 feet to the right. Maybe I lost the default setting form pressing home+f10 a long time ago. Can't seem to find the place where it stores the setting, so cannot reset it to default.

That constant offset might not be that bad, as at all distance its the same. With zeroing without offset it would only be correct at that specific distance, with errors differing depending on distance. I guess I'll just aim slightly to the right.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »
It shoots flat to about 800 hitting just below the horizontal red line at about the same height from 100-800 no matter what you do until you set your zero to 1000 against the target. I used to move the tip of the vertical post to line up on center at 1000. I stopped worrying about it years ago and only worried about setting the bottom of the inside ring to 1500. Once you do that, set the target to 2500 360 10. You will notice your rounds, if you aim half way down between the first and second ring against the target center, hit at about 2500. Inside of 1500 you are roughly aiming with the bottom 1\2 of the vertical post above the center ring. If you use the lead computing sight against the drones, you will understand how bad the dispersion is even if the target shows something else. I stopped worrying about it.

The real guns had dispersion and spin drift issues becasue of the size of the round. That's why it is an auto cannon to throw a screen of rounds and they travel just under 800m\sec from what I can tell. Past 1500 your rounds really take a long time to hit the target with wide spaces between rounds unlike the wirble 800rnd\m at almost 900m\sec. Our effective range for the wirble is 1500.

Back in AH2 I did a test when Hitech first updated the target command with heading and azimuth by placing it just behind where the drones would pass through it with a wing in it at about 2500. The dispersion was about 30ft in diameter just holding the button down for the whole magazine to fire out right at the spot most of the drones passed through. Just becasue your sight picture looks perfect dosen't mean you will not miss with the 37mm by a foot all around the con due to the slow rate of fire. Think of the 37mm as skeet shooting with a semi-auto 12g loaded with deer slugs. The wirble is a bit more like skeet shooting with buckshot in that 12g.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
The rings on the 37mm iron sight are for leading??  I must be doing something wrong because I've never seen a plane slow enough that even the outside ring was enough lead.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
This is for the 40mm Bofors, the iron ring sight is the same and used the same with consideration to the ballistics of the 37mm round. I think the Flak 36 3,7 iron sight was a bit of license in reusing code since the ships had the 40mm Bofors. Also if you read the NAVY manual for using small caliber AA, you only shoot in a narrow arc of lead for the most part. Eerything else is a guessing crapshoot. Download and use my offline terrain. Spawn into the 37mm up on the mesa and turn on the lead computing sight. You will be amased at the very narrow arc of effective shooting lead you have in the 37mm before it's a crapshoot. Same with the wirble and osti.

Here is the Iron sight our Flak 36 3,7 should have and it has an analog mechanical part.

This version your partner adjusts that metal bar to help you with lead and elevation.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing