Author Topic: Trees in STO  (Read 214 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Trees in STO
« on: December 05, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
Anyone ever have trouble with unwanted trees sticking up through  their square tile objects?
I was trying to build a custom WWI airfield.

Thanks in advance.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trees in STO
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 01:31:05 PM »
Best I do is lay down only grass or sand then the square object "to see how" Waffle setup the linked relationships of that object to the current tile set. In some cases the object allows adding trees and clutter when you paint over it. Then I accept what is imposed by Waffle. I've never been able to persuade Hitech to give us a chain saw for cropping or Waffle to change anything.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Trees in STO
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bustr.

I finally found a workaround.   I was was trying to make a custom version of the ww1af tile because I wanted to lay things out differently.  By habit, I didn't want to mess with the original, I just copied everything with a different named tile. It worked fine except on my airfield tile, the trees were sprouting.  Even after building clutter mask.  Weird! 

I eventually found it I found if I renamed my new tile to ww1af and just overrode the old one the trees vanished, but the field showed my changes. 

So somehow the TE knew to clear the trees out from under a tile named "ww1af" but not under the exact same data named "ww1af2".

:bhead :bhead :bhead

But since I don't need to use both simultaneously, I'll take that as a win.   :D
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.