Author Topic: Recommended tweaks to nvidia driver settings in vr?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Recommended tweaks to nvidia driver settings in vr?
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:08:27 AM »
Ive seen some older posts on some recommendations for vr settings. Wondering if HTC or anyone else has some more recent inputs to make the image better given the constraints of the lower resolutions the vr headsets offer.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: Recommended tweaks to nvidia driver settings in vr?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 01:48:26 AM »
Ive seen some older posts on some recommendations for vr settings. Wondering if HTC or anyone else has some more recent inputs to make the image better given the constraints of the lower resolutions the vr headsets offer.
Too my knowledge, no. Seems like this is as good as it gets...well until the technology improves. This is for the O Rift any way. Looks like Samsung has some new VR sttuff in the works though. Havent checked it out myself...but it reads(the specs) like a great improvement.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 02:17:04 AM »
--- it reads(the specs) like a great improvement.
Meaning it will also require a more powerful video card.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:08:57 PM »
Meaning it will also require a more powerful video card.
Probably :uhoh That does seem to be the biggest issue with VR development :furious
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 04:35:56 AM »
Probably :uhoh That does seem to be the biggest issue with VR development :furious
I think :furious is exaggerating. It's simply a question of supply and demand. Just think about running your current monitor (supposedly a 1080p) on a Windows98 rig with an AMD Duron @ 700 MHz, 512 MB of RAM and a GeForce 2 MX video card! That combination used to be good enough for AH1 on a large 17" 1024*768 tube screen. Back in the day I learned the importance of streamlining the processes of my computer to get the max out of it for gaming. 
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »
Ok, I see your point. It is very frustrating though. You get VR, but its in such a limited functionality, all the while, the magnificence of what it could be is glaring. I guess that goes for just about every thing in tech realms. Pretty sure the first Flintlock Rifle buyers had same frustrations...until the Caplock came out..or Rifle Cartridge...or Smokeless Powder...see...frustrating :bhead It is pretty amazing though....already saving for further upgrades, for when they get better. Not as young anymore, dont like waiting  :old: :rofl

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 01:42:42 AM »
Hehe, none of us gets any younger.

Back when AH was young we had quite an active local community here. Once we discussed about the future of computer gaming with following results: The images will be more and more life like both by image quality and refresh speed. Also, the screens would get larger and surround the player more or less - our vision was a quarter size slice of a globe since sitting inside a bubble would have issues starting from getting in and getting fresh air. Due to those limitations we then "invented" video goggles to allow a full range of view... Which of those visions do we have now? A multi-monitor dome can be built using ultra wide curved monitors running at 144 Hz speed, the viewing area can be controlled by just slightly turning your head. And for more life-like movements there's several versions of goggles running at 90 Hz at the minimum to reduce motion sickness. We couldn't even dream of motion sensors back then!

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
 :rock Indeed,Sir! It is truly amazing to have been alive for these changes. Other, more important changes have happened...but just for the "gaming aspect" its been wonderful. Every time a new controller or technology comes out, I feel like the same 5 yo who got an Atari for Christmas :old:  Full disclosure...I was one of those parents who made the kids go play outside a couple hours a day. Only way I could play with the Play Station :devil