Author Topic: eBay 15 % off sale now until 1900 PST  (Read 868 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
eBay 15 % off sale now until 1900 PST
« on: December 28, 2018, 05:15:24 PM »
as noted in the title, sorry for the short notice, Hope it helps someone!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 07:31:49 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: eBay 15 % off sale now until 1900 PST
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
I've been thinking about this for years, but I finally bought two 10 Gb network cards and a twinax direct attach cable to connect my primary PC to my encoding PC.  It takes too long to transfer files between them over 1G, this should help.  Total cost?  About $100 when I bought the stuff used on Ebay.  Was surprised to see they had a promocode for $15 off.

General idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJdopedfh9E

Went with two of these: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/products/50264/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products/legacy-intel-networking-adapters/intel-10-gigabit-af-server-adapter-series/intel-10-gigabit-af-da-dual-port-server-adapter.html Can generally find them for $50 after (USA) shipping.

There are (even) cheaper ones that aren't Intel.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »
Good, am glad you benefited too!   :aok

When atlau suggested waiting for an eBay 10% sale, it was the first time I or either of my sons had heard about them, and then when I went on eBay after one son suggested a couple of GTX 1080's that he thought were good bets, I was pleasantly surprised to find the 15 % off coupon, which pushed me over the edge to purchase.

Now, hopefully our used parts will pay off.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:32:25 PM by DaddyAce »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 02:43:58 PM »
I hard-wired my entire house (every room) from all the bedrooms, Den, Living room, office/computer room, kitchen, etc with CAT7 STP  w/gold-plated connectors specifically for this, regarding 10GB throughput..

Networking, CNE and other stuff is so much more easier to do these days than like back in the 10T / T100 / BNC / T-Base days...heck....think I spelled most of that old stuff wrong, been so long ago since I even last thought of using it, let alone think about it....

Best of luck with your project/upgrade..... Another project/upgrade you might want to try: Boosting your Wi-Fi signal to where your home Wi-Fi can reach out to 6 to 10 miles away

Cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 12:04:48 AM »
Unless you're running a decent SAN there's not a huge point to 10GbE. I've thought about running 10GbE for my media servers, but even 4k streams are only around 20Mbps. And I already own some 10GbE optics/switching/firewall gear. I just don't see the need/point.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »
Unless you're running a decent SAN there's not a huge point to 10GbE. I've thought about running 10GbE for my media servers, but even 4k streams are only around 20Mbps. And I already own some 10GbE optics/switching/firewall gear. I just don't see the need/point.

It really has nothing to do with the streaming of video, it has to do with moving giant files around between PCs.

If copper 10Gb was about half its current ebay price, including the switches, I would update to it.  Maybe in a few more years.  Files are only getting bigger and we've been on gigabit speeds for a long time now, too long.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
There is a practical limit to performance which is limited by the PCI bus and drive speeds (and Windows). If you're copying files between PCs then you won't see massive differences in performance. If you're using a SAN (or file server) to service lots of PCs then having a 10Gbps link to the SAN itself (from a switch) will definitely help. I have a 10Gbpe capable switch, and firewall (and fibre modules), if I thought it would make an ounce of difference I'd light up the 10Gbps ports.