Author Topic: KOTH and TOC thoughts  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
KOTH and TOC thoughts
« on: January 13, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »
I think these are ideas moving forward to maybe help populate the event more.

Win a KOTH or TOC event, be allowed in all future TOC events.

Attend 3 KOTH events with at least 3 kills each, get a TOC invite for the current years TOC.

Pick a ENY 35 or higher plane, and win the round gets a TOC invite.

These are a few ideas i jist randomly come up with, to help get more guys involved in the year end battle royal.  Maybe of these easier routes to get a TOC invite will help get some new blood in there.  After all, you guys had 5 people participating in what should be a pretty big as a annual event, which is really just a good time with quick action if egos are kept in check.

I also think the reward of perk points in some fashion for participating is a good idea.  Ideally the event being free and facebook/webpage promotion.

Discuss, or dont.  Just brainstorming here.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: KOTH and TOC thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 08:47:25 PM »
Also all invites should be under the achieveing callsign only.  If yoi are one of the guys that changes your name biweekly, and cannot get your callsign back by TOC kickoff, you are not allowed to party.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:44:20 AM »
First  :)  great to have more input on KOTH and I can only glance now as Dr. appointments shortly, for sister. I also hate pecking a responce on the stupid phone so I WILL get back this later.

“Don’t fly mr. Bluebird, I’m just walking down the road”
Listening to The Allman Brothers dampens the 20 degrees F outside.  :rock
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
I'm pretty much "Meh" on most of those ideas.  I don't understand why it's not more popular with all the people seemingly wanting instant action.

I guess relaxing the requirements to get into the TOC might be a good thing?  I personally was glad to see the requirements extended to wabbits, as it gave a scrub like me more of a chance to get into it.  3 kills in a KOTH gets you an invite would certainly get more people invited to the TOC.

The thing I've noticed over time is it's mostly the same few guys that win or become wabbits, especially with how few people seem to wabbit hunt in the normal KOTHs.  The ideas Lazer mentioned above would widen that field.  I guess it depends how exclusive you want to keep it or not.  As far as that goes, why not if you've ever shown up to a KOTH, you're in the TOC?

Having it in a free arena is an interesting idea though.  Esp if they flogged it to the WOP people if that goes anywhere.

I know it was the first TOC I've ever been in, and the first one I've ever attended.  It was not what I was expecting.  I was hoping for a much bigger field.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
I think these are ideas moving forward to maybe help populate the event more.

Win a KOTH or TOC event, be allowed in all future TOC events.

Attend 3 KOTH events with at least 3 kills each, get a TOC invite for the current years TOC.

Pick a ENY 35 or higher plane, and win the round gets a TOC invite.

These are a few ideas i jist randomly come up with, to help get more guys involved in the year end battle royal.  Maybe of these easier routes to get a TOC invite will help get some new blood in there.  After all, you guys had 5 people participating in what should be a pretty big as a annual event, which is really just a good time with quick action if egos are kept in check.

I also think the reward of perk points in some fashion for participating is a good idea.  Ideally the event being free and facebook/webpage promotion.

Discuss, or dont.  Just brainstorming here.

1st point: I oppose this line of thought. Participate though out the year or not. I am looking to fight as many as the arena can support when ever i can make a KOTH event, in my opinion it is flat out lazy to show up at the TOC when some player may have won one 5 years ago and has not played since
2nd point: Agree,,,this promotes yearly participation (best keep a running spread sheet to keep track of whats what  :))
3rd point: other than the current rules/system, i feel only point two should be added.

Also agree with Lazerr about the modifying the callsign,,,shades are out unless they won a wabbit or an event under that callsign

Keep up the great work FuzeMan,,,,appreciate it

« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:08:28 AM by jeffn »
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »
Wanted to reply today still. Got home about 4 pm, contrast dye scan and then blood work and was there also last Fryday; feels like the old caregiver years, and will most likely vomit out some more thoughts after I cogitate on them more.
Now there's a mental picture  :D

I really wouldn't want to dilute the TOC too much as the fights I saw were awesome, as was the player behavior for the most part. Had one non-invitee take off but I think I explained it well enough before I grounded him.
Have to go back and look at logs to un-ground him   :O
Came up with many questions about KOTH I'd like to ask people from, people will run to turn their phones off now, HTC on down to those who stopped attending. One being why didn't or couldn't you attend the TOC? Knowing that is a first step but I'm really clueless on it and assume they just didn't have the time or it wasn't important enough to make time, and with real life that sure is a valid reason.
Risky statement here but maybe some are figuring out what to have in their yard sale. :bolt:
For some odd reason the TOC never had a real good attendance.

Maybe after a person has won a KOTH and has a solid invitation and wins another, they get to then say 'got one, keep going for someone else to get one' and while they win that event another also gets a invitation.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 11:05:11 AM »
Welllllllllllllllllll, I just have to think that making it too easy to get into TOC would defeat the purpose. I personally like how it is now, where wabbits for that year can get into TOC. After all, that's how I was able to get into TOC the first time. That being said, I just feel like players who played in that year should only be able to to join, and only if you are a wabbit.

I do agree that shade names should not be allowed. Too much speculation if it's the actual person or not.

IMO, the best way to turn out more #s is by promotion and marketing. There is no outreach about Koth besides the BBS. There is no communication on the game that refers players to an event, so if they don't check the BBS, they pretty much have no idea an event even exist. It's a major disadvantage for our events. There are no prizes or recognition by the game for the event.

So by having better marketing and enthusiasm about the events in AH, is what will really attract more players to the Koth events. Like I said before, I didn't even check the Koth forum and totally forgot about the TOC. I found out the night before thru channel 200 when TC and Jumbo had their speal. I posted a message on the main forum just incase more TOCers didn't see the original message+ plus I wanted more people to be aware of the event. I definitely feel like pirvate messages should be sent out to all players who knowingly have a BBS account.

All in all, I think better marketing and promotion is what will attract more players rather making it too easy to be in the TOC.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 11:18:53 AM »
I think it should stay the way it is.

But I think any TOC winner in the past should get an invite to all future TOC events.

I mean if you are good enough to win a TOC you deserve to be at all future events.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 02:31:56 PM »
Sorry I missed it. Was out of town last Friday to Sunday
Looking forward to the 2019 KOTH events I can make.
<S> Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
The  :old: coconut just vomited up a few more ideas, here's a few chunks  :rolleyes:  { and I wiped out all the text once so had to re-vomit it again }  :huh

Maybe TOC winner gets longer invitation to the TOCs say for next 3 or 5 years. That has a downside I'll go over with  :noid

Social media. I am certainly NOT the best ambassador for KOTH other than running the event better than an empty chair. I have no need to tell the Russians about KOTH on Facebook and try not to visit there at all costs. We have the iffy calendar and the I used to post in AH General, SE General, and KOTH forum about dates. Even last stint as KOTH host the AH events site and KOTH never got along and both the AH events and Topica mailing lists fell out of use.

:noid
Shades and fishy stuff that happens in KOTH. Shades is the wrong word here as FESS can fly in KOTH under any GameID he wants to. What I mean is old inactive gameIDs being picked up and used by any Tom, Dick, or Mary that knows it's inactive and want's a way in.
We thought about every KOTH participant saying on VOX who they are and having that verified through Voice Print Identification
{ 2001: A Space Odyssey Voice Print Identification by Bill Lile, on Flickr }
but logistics proved too difficult.
And, to be absolutely sure we are all who ware supposed to be I'd need to clone Skuzzy and confine him to the basement and have him check everyone's internet address.
That would be difficult because he would no doubt try to escape as I have my mayonnaise stash down there and he would {1} get a job at the local Weber Mustard Plant {2} Demand overtime everyday and {3} get a night watchman job so he could spend 24-7 there. I wonder how many Skuzzy clones I'd need to make to get one that likes mayonnaise?

Poor Skuzzy, in some parallel universe he absolutely LOVES, and can't get enough mayonnaise!!!

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
But I think any TOC winner in the past should get an invite to all future TOC events.
I mean if you are good enough to win a TOC you deserve to be at all future events.

I took some time to ponder this and would like to add my two cents from my personal experiance and this may apply to others, it may not.

The above line of thinking has merit, and i agree, the best of the best should be included in the TOC event, but i look at KOTH and every other AH special event with the aspect of, how can this event be grown so we have more participation and fun.

Through the year the KOTH events give players like me an opportunity to fly against the guys who have won TOC's before, learn there tendencies, watch a film, realize where and how i screwed up or pulled a maneuver that i gained an advantage. Learning form the past TOC winners through the year has appeal to me, and i feel it gives everyone a "punchers chance" at the end of the year TOC to devise a plan on how they will fight each elite player.

I feel this level of participation from the veteran KOTH'ers will grow the event through out the year and the TOC. On the other hand, having past TOC winners show up only to TOC and not KOTH through out the year will have a negative effect on participation.

Its like this: I drop in to my supervisor's office and say "Hey Terry, i would like to discuss my pay increase for 2019". Terry says, "Well, you really have done nothing to improve the company this past year". Then i say, "Yea, but i was amazing 5 years ago, i feel i should get an increase based on that". Terry stares at me for 10 seconds then points to the door. (not a true story, just and example  :))

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:54:44 AM by jeffn »
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11