Author Topic: Back after a long time away  (Read 595 times)

Offline smash

• Copper Member
Back after a long time away
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:39:15 PM »
I probably played last back in 2006, but I started with Warbirds and 2D.  I was at Oshkosh and saw the new Thrustmaster toys and thought about how far things had come.  We used to hack joysticks for Hall sensors, I had this one guy cnc parts for me... now its all built in, even the toe brakes.  So I dropped the money on a HOTAS Warthog set and waited for the pendulum rudder pedals to release, then ordered those.  The idea was to run Lockheed's Prepare3D for some training and finally get my PPL.

My rig is a water cooled Broadwell 6 core, 32g ram, with the water cooled 1080 graphics card.  I built it specifically for the Oculus about a year ago, but didn't get much use out of it.  So I pulled it upstairs into my office and made it the main rig, with these new Thrustmaster toys.  In the arenas I am getting about 90 fps.  Its real enough to make you vomit.

I sort of just took it for granted that the game wouldn't progress.  It was such a niche thing, I figured the only way it would advance was if it was bought by somebody.  I checked a few times over the years but never noticed much having changed and I was then a Warcraft fiend.  I can only game one thing at a time.

All I can say is just holy cow.  I realize this is a combination of how VR is having an effect on gaming as a whole, but Aces High is just stunning.  Crazy stunning.  I would never have believed it was possible.  We did this thing in WB 2D way back that was a recreation of these daylight Allied raids, and there were so many planes in the air the thing crashed half the time, the frame rate was probably 20 fps but it was so much adrenaline.  I had to go the bar and drink to calm down.  Having this version would have cooked the two functioning brain cells I had at the time.

Makes you wonder what happens in another 20 years.
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10
Intel Core i7-6850K Broadwell-E 6-Core 3.6 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 08G-P4-6183-KR, 8GB GDDR5X W/Oculus Rift
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
CPU and Vid are water cooled

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Back after a long time away
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:16:03 PM »
Yes, I think Hitech did a great job of implementing VR.  I love it too!  Welcome back!   :cheers:

Offline gpcustom

• Zinc Member
      • GPcustoms
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »
Played a little today after a few months away :bolt:
After all of the updates and blah,blah,blah I was very pleased. I can't speak for every one but my frame rates are better and no freezes during game play :joystick:
Glad I went for a spin today :old:
"There is one unalterable difference between a soldier and a civilian: the civilian never does more than he is paid to do."

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 10:30:05 AM »
Now that you mention it I played all last week and don't recall any hour glass freezes with Oculus. I played a bit on a steam account also and it seemed to be worse than normal fps and freezes. Maybe just timing though