Author Topic: New to VR, Cable extensions  (Read 791 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
New to VR, Cable extensions
« on: January 12, 2019, 12:37:40 PM »
OK, I havent seen this posted yet so here it goes.

I got my Oculus all setup and working one day, the next I got a error...

I thought it was a positioning issue as the program "saw" the sensor, but I just wasnt getting good coverage. After moving them all over the place and going through the setup each time I would still get the error on and off. It would work for a minute then give me the error again.

I have a corner desk I built, my computer is on the right hand edge, so to reach the sensor all the way to left side of the desk I needed a USB cable extension. I didnt need a lot, so I bought this one from Amazon.

After researching how to setup the sensors for a couple hours I ran into this video. In the video he explains how some extension cables, from the same company even, work, or dont work.

So to test it, I removed the extension cables, put the left sensor as far over as I could due to cable length, and the right one I put higher pointing a bit downward. It sits about a foot or so higher than the left one. For me this has worked with no trouble for a couple weeks now.

So, using the "6 ft" version of the extension USB cable gave me issues with a "weak sensor" error, the "10 ft" version of the cable works fine, even from the same manufacturer. So if your getting weak signals, or your tracking just dropping out at odd times it could be something as simple as a poor cable. The video posted above about the cable issues, has a list in the "links" section of cables that worked well for him, but use at your own risk as with anything else posted on the internet. 

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
Re: New to VR, Cable extensions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »
Question: did you experience any tracking issues IN GAME? I had this after my move, as play area drastically shrank. 1 sensor works fine(without hand controllers). You may be perfectly fine playing even with the "Poor tracking" on 1 of your sensors. True Occulus says it isnt just right, but shouldnt be any issue with game. Did you mention the use of extension cables on your first post with this issue? Eh, I was being a horses rear, so probably just missed it :uhoh Glad you got it figured out,Sir  :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:21:24 PM »
Question: did you experience any tracking issues IN GAME? I had this after my move, as play area drastically shrank. 1 sensor works fine(without hand controllers). You may be perfectly fine playing even with the "Poor tracking" on 1 of your sensors. True Occulus says it isnt just right, but shouldnt be any issue with game. Did you mention the use of extension cables on your first post with this issue? Eh, I was being a horses rear, so probably just missed it :uhoh Glad you got it figured out,Sir  :salute

I didnt try the game with the error. I just thought if it wasnt fully setup in Oculus it would give me issues in AH. I didnt mention the extension cables in my post or the issue, because why would a cable be such an issue?

I have been messing around with other games in VR... though nothing could replace AH  :rock so getting both of my sensors working was something I was looking for.

The issue here is that cables and connectors ... tho new and made by the same manufacturers can CAUSE issues. Just something to think about when one runs into problems.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 12:51:32 PM »
Rift sensor connection issues are often USB issues. If you continue to have problems try a different port if you have all 3 devices on the same USB internal hub. If you have an older PC you can use a USB 3.1 add in card to add high speed ports.