Author Topic: Microsoft Issues Windows 10 Upgrade Warning  (Read 761 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Microsoft Issues Windows 10 Upgrade Warning
« on: January 30, 2019, 09:22:34 AM »

The problems associated with Windows 10’s most controversial feature are well known, but now Microsoft has warned users it will soon be consuming more of your computer’s resources to enforce it…

In a new blog post, Microsoft program manager Jesse Rajwan confirmed that the company is taking measures to ensure Windows 10 computers will always be able to upgrade automatically. And you might not like it.

Windows 10 will soon use more of your computer’s storageMICROSOFT

Microsoft is introducing ‘Reserved Storage’ with Windows 10 Build 1903. This will consume a lump of storage from your hard drive which “cannot be removed from the OS” and ensures your computer can receive the latest upgrade.

Rajwan says the typical amount taken from Windows 10 users’ hard drives will be 7GB: “This will enable most PCs to download and install an update without having to free up any of your disk space, even when you have minimal free disk space.”

All of which would be good news, except Windows 10 updates have been a dangerous mess for some time.

What’s more, it’s hard to see how Reserved Storage helps. Those with fast, modern PCs will always have more than enough storage space to never it and those with older, slower PCs with very limited disk space will a) not want to give up 7GB, and b) be those most cautious about giving Windows 10 new ways to update itself whenever it wants.

How Windows 10 Reserved Storage will show up in user settings

That said, Microsoft states it will initially only apply Reserved Storage to new PCs which ship with Windows 10 1903 or later. But be warned, Microsoft is repeatedly replying to user questions with “At this time” which suggests a wider roll-out of Reserved Storage is coming.

For that to happen, however, Microsoft must surely improve the stability of Windows 10 updates. Even fan sites have written about Microsoft having a “Software Quality Problem” and, in 2018 alone, Windows 10 upgrades caused serious problems in January, April, October and November.

Making these even harder to stop is not an appealing prospect…

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/01/26/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-storage-space-problem-price-cost/#3457396b2f02
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Microsoft Issues Windows 10 Upgrade Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:29:59 AM »
Is that good news or bad?

it’s hard to see how Reserved Storage helps. Those with fast, modern PCs will always have more than enough storage space---
Just a couple of months ago I found brand new Windows 10S laptops on the shelf of a nationwide shop, featuring 32 and 64 GB of hard disk space. On a 32 GB system it's impossible to run the latest version updates, according to the Microsoft tech I called at least 25 GB of free space would be required for updating from 1709 to 1803. And since they don't support using a memory stick as temporary extra space any longer, updating those cheapos is a mission impossible unless done as a destructive clean install from an external media.

So according to the article, not all new computers are modern??? For what I've seen even the cheapest models I mentioned use fairly recent technology although being from the slowest and smallest end of the category. Or would you call SSD's outdated?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni