Author Topic: FMOD for Beginners - Instructional Youtube videos  (Read 4144 times)

Offline jedi25

• Copper Member
FMOD for Beginners - Instructional Youtube videos
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:59:23 PM »
Hello Fellow Aces,

I came across these (2) youtube videos and taught they maybe useful to other FMOD newbie like myself.
Hoping someone will figure this thing out before my return.

1) FMOD - Parameters Quick Start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhfI40H7mpM

2) FMOD - Importing and Playing an Audio File
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tisWNC-GxFM

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
Re: FMOD for Beginners - Instructional Youtube videos
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 08:24:24 AM »
would be nice if htc would provide file names for each vehicle that game would recognize
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 12:16:48 PM »
would be nice if htc would provide file names for each vehicle that game would recognize
I miss your P-38 engine sound!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »
I miss your P-38 engine sound!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

Same here.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »

They're the same as the old airplane/vehicle names from AHII.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
They're the same as the old airplane/vehicle names from AHII.

ty challenge
TBs Sounds 

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »
Attached is the P51D Folder view as it is right now. I still have some work to do and there are referenced events that are not obvious. Every one of these airplanes takes days and days to tweak and get right, but I think it will be worth it.

EDIT: I just noticed I had a typo when creating the "burning" effect.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 09:21:19 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 11:41:25 AM »
ty for the visual
TBs Sounds 

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
I have not gotten to any of the Spitfires yet and now I am going back to every airplane from 109E4 to P51D and I am adjusting the external sounds.

I have also started to archive everything in the original files as 96KHz 24-bit .wav files, while the Assets folder used with FMOD are all in .ogg format. Even at 22KHz 16-bit the .wav files were growing the bank files to huge levels. The .ogg format saves an average of 2/3's the file size, but as you know you don't want to edit in .ogg format because the files are so lossy.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »
I just discovered a mistake. There should also be a Weapons folder and each weapon will have its own folder with External and Internal sounds. So you could make the internal weapons sound can have a limited sound as if the canopy reduces volume or whatever. So there will be m2, m2_2, m2_3, m2_4, m2_5 for example.

In the example above I put bomb and rocket sounds in the mechanical folder, but they should also be in the weapons folder and in external and internal folders as well.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 04:50:42 PM »
I just discovered a mistake. There should also be a Weapons folder and each weapon will have its own folder with External and Internal sounds. So you could make the internal weapons sound can have a limited sound as if the canopy reduces volume or whatever. So there will be m2, m2_2, m2_3, m2_4, m2_5 for example.

In the example above I put bomb and rocket sounds in the mechanical folder, but they should also be in the weapons folder and in external and internal folders as well.

Great information Chalenge!! Thanks!!
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 05:25:57 PM »
The attached image may also help a little. This is the Mustang track I used. Someone else's logic track may look completely different depending on what sounds they use. You could actually just throw in your old ENG file for each airplane and then adjust the volumes inside the Throttle tab as needed. This is where I've been testing different effects and there are still some bad examples shown (the Mustang Howl and Distance tracks are prime examples).

I used cockpit recordings for the Merlin Engine sound, added the Prop sound, and then what I call Merlin Song and the whistle track. In this view you can see the SpeedMPH fader that I added, but that's a bad idea. If you need to use Speed then you should add whatever sound it is to the wind sound, or use a referenced event. I ended up using the wind, and then in External sounds the whistle is added to the engine loop, but also controlled with an event cone angle. That way the whistle is only heard as the plane approaches much like the HTC Me-262 is now. In the external folder for the Mustang things are a little different and I will show that next. WEP is a track that should only take effect once the throttle is above 100%.

The whistle sound for the Mustang is generated by the machine guns and the duct, but the duct is heard primarily in diving attacks only. The machine gun whistles aid the pilot in landings and low speed flight, because you should only hear them as the plane slows down to land. That's not an easy thing to achieve in FMOD, but it can be done with a lot of experimentation. I worked it all out in the B-pony, but logging into the game and changing things and logging out and then back in got old. Hitech promised to have that fixed next update.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »
In the attached image you can see the timeline for my B-pony External/Engine. I have added automation of the volume for both start and stop tracks (StartStopCockpit should be named Start only) so that I could match them to the running loops Engine Front and Engine Back. Both Loops are the same, except for the whistle sound and a slight pitch shift down. The event angle cone runs from 0 to 180 degrees. You can add volume automation by right-clicking the fader control for that track and then "Add Automation." You can also add effects like EQ, Distortion, Pitch bending, etc.). To change the sound as the event cone angle changes just click on that tab, expand the automation area by clicking on the white triangle of the track on the far left, adjust the fader to the angle you wish to adjust, and then click on the red line for volume/EQ/or what have you. You can add curves, and you can copy and add curves from one airplane to another (as well as an entire track).

The Engine Front and Engine Back tracks are event instruments that point to the RPM track of the External/External/Engine/Loop Logic Track.

If you need a video for more explanation just ask.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2019, 11:02:11 AM »

The Engine Front and Engine Back tracks are event instruments that point to the RPM track of the External/External/Engine/Loop Logic Track.

Should read: "The Engine Front and Engine Back tracks are event instruments that point to the RPM track of the External/Engine/Loop Logic Track."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 12:31:29 AM »

BTW, I do not believe that the weapons are completely ironed out in the template. Some work. Some don't work. Some things I have worked out will later break. Maybe it's me, . . .

Video upcoming to explain how to put AH2 sounds into AH3.