Author Topic: Staged Mission: Landing Comedy  (Read 538 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Staged Mission: Landing Comedy
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
I have had a lot of trouble trying to produce a landing sequence that didn't end up looking like a Benny Hill skit complete with Yakety Sax playing in the background. Not specific to terrain or WWI vs WWII.

So, up the base leg things look good.

On final, they often stack up on top of each other.  It would be nice if they could keep the same separation they had on base.

As soon as the leader touches down the wingmen tween levitate up about 5ft off the tarmac.  They are not bouncing they float  at that height from here on out.

As soon as you reach the runout segment, instead of slowing down, the leader seems to accelerate.  At some point either during runout or the start of taxi segment they start doing flippy-floppy moves trying to get synced back up with their target cross.

Eventually they get that sorted out and taxi away, but perhaps a bit too chummy. 

I see a couple of main problems:

1.  Better separation on final would look more realistic.  I guess on runout and taxi too.  Maybe starting with landing segment, they adopt line astern to keep from humping each other. 
2.  After touchdown the wingmen seem to be mis calculating their height or perhaps maintaining their in flight formation vertical separation.
3.  The runout segment does not work properly IMHO.  It should start at the landing segment speed and decelerate to taxi speed by the end of it's length.

:salute,
 CptTrips
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 08:47:25 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Staged Mission: Landing Comedy
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:36:41 PM »
Here is the mission these shots were taken from. 
NDIsles map.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Staged Mission: Landing Comedy
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »
BTW, I was noticing the same behaviors in the AI landings in the Mission Arena last night. (Flip-flopping.  Levitation about runway...etc)

So it is not just something I did wrong.  :D