Author Topic: Can we Please get some love for the film viewer  (Read 633 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Can we Please get some love for the film viewer
« on: February 17, 2019, 10:39:17 AM »
I rarely get past 2 films (10 minute films) before I get a crash. Switching from plane to plane can mess up views (you jump back to your plane and get a zoomed version of your saved view), rewatching a film a second or third time can get the base tile flipped up at a 45 degree angle to the terrain. And crash after crash. Attached is the latest dmp file

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Can we Please get some love for the film viewer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:16 AM »
+1

I use film viewer to promote Aces High, but it is very hard and time consuming due to the bugs and clunkiness of it.

For me, most-frequent crashes are when switching from full screen back to non-full, but it crashes at other times as well.

Major clunkiness:
-- Can't zoom in external view, can only move viewpoint forward and back (which is not zoom).
-- No key (that I know of) to run/pause in full screen.
-- Takes a long time to fast forward.  I frequently am fast forwarding to 2+ hour marks in a film.  Takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooong time.
-- Can't reverse (too full of anomalies such as missing planes, gunfire sounds stuck on, smoke or black puffs staying in the air, etc.), so you need to go forward to where you want and play from there.  If you blow it and go too far, have to restart film and fast forward to where you want again.  This is what takes up most of my time in using film viewer.
-- No key (that I know of) to toggle recorded views while in full screen.  (So if you want to see from a gun but then jump to external to look around, if gun moves, your external view moves around.)
-- Planes blowing up often don't show an explosion.  They just disappear.
-- Smoke appears behind clouds that are miles away.
-- Bomb sight isn't rendered correctly in film viewer.  You just look straight down, which is nearly useless.
-- Ships don't work right in film viewer.  In an event, you can drop bombs on a ship, and in film viewer, ship is far away, travelling in different direction.
-- Don't see other planes drop their bombs.
-- Don't see other plane's explosions in towns (or maybe other places, too).

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: Can we Please get some love for the film viewer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 02:43:35 AM »
and the external view - allowing you to view several planes from a fixed outside location in AH2 - now moves the camera to a weird position in space where you can't see anything interesting.

I've got some Doozies of high-quality ACM fights you don't see from other flight sims, but the film viewer's too much trouble right now to have a try at Dolbying them.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234