Author Topic: AI Ignoring me  (Read 1498 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
AI Ignoring me
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
I have seen some occasional comments from others of AI ignoring them in the MPA.  I ran in to a behavior that I wonder if it is related.

I had a offline staged mission that was 2v2 Camels vs Dr.1.   Because with WWI aircraft the AI is a little much to handle, I was separating off at the beginning of the air spawn and gaining some horizontal separation and letting the 2 enemy AI first full engage my wingman, and then I'd merge back in and engage. 

What I found is when I did that, the enemy AI never saw me again.  I could engage and they would totally ignore me and stay on my wingman.  Even when they clearly had a shot at me they never switched.  Ever when I was shooting them, they never evaded. If my wingman died, they would simply form up and start flying away. Even when I follow right behind them shooting one and then the other without them ever responding. 

I don't believe this had anything to do with mission or terrain.  It is very reproducible as long as I had sufficient separation that both enemy fully engaged my wingman before merged back.

However, if I stayed with my wingman through the initial merge, one AI would target me and one my wingman.  It seems the AI ought to recognize another enemy entering the fight.  At least after their initial target is destroyed, notice another enemy is 10 yards behind them shooting at them. 

If needed, I can create another mission with a standard terrain to give you.  Or I can create a film.  But it is easy to repro. 

:salute

yeah, yeah, i know...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:04:40 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: AI Ignoring me
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
Did ya put deodorant on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
Did ya put deodorant on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but I had red beans and rice for lunch.  Luckily the Camel is an open cockpit.

:noid
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 06:02:50 PM »
OK.  Sorry.  I may have told you wrong.  It was doing it all weekend, but I tried to just build an example for Waffle terrain and I couldn't do it.
Went back to my terrain and it still wouldn't do it. 
Did it a couple of times, and then it started doing it. 

Anyway.  Here is a film of it.  You can play it even without my custom terrain, but I can provide that if needed.

Anyway I do as I described.  I am just dancing around the fight trying to get them interested in me.  They ignore me.  My wingman ends up crashing into the ground at 2:48.  The enemy should still be in attack segment, but they form and fly away even though I am right behind them. 

(Is it because I fiddled with the drone arena settings?)

:confused:

(also the mis file)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 06:09:44 PM by CptTrips »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:08:50 AM »
OK.  Sorry.  I may have told you wrong.  It was doing it all weekend, but I tried to just build an example for Waffle terrain and I couldn't do it.
Went back to my terrain and it still wouldn't do it. 
Did it a couple of times, and then it started doing it. 

Anyway.  Here is a film of it.  You can play it even without my custom terrain, but I can provide that if needed.

Anyway I do as I described.  I am just dancing around the fight trying to get them interested in me.  They ignore me.  My wingman ends up crashing into the ground at 2:48.  The enemy should still be in attack segment, but they form and fly away even though I am right behind them. 

(Is it because I fiddled with the drone arena settings?)

:confused:

(also the mis file)

Off or on line?

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
Off or on line?

HiTech

Offline.

I still don't think it is terrain specific.  Maybe more about something with that mission scenario.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if it it is because for a moment I am within their attack range, then I break off and separate maybe outside their range, then close back again. Maybe that gets me locked out of being noticed.  I see it I can try that scenario on Waffle.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
Offline.

I still don't think it is terrain specific.  Maybe more about something with that mission scenario.

Just thinking out loud, I wonder if it it is because for a moment I am within their attack range, then I break off and separate maybe outside their range, then close back again. Maybe that gets me locked out of being noticed.  I see it I can try that scenario on Waffle.

Also before I test, you do know that drones wont fight unless the segment is an attack or defend? The difference between attack and defend are at what range they will engage.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:06:54 AM »
Also before I test, you do know that drones wont fight unless the segment is an attack or defend? The difference between attack and defend are at what range they will engage.

HiTech

The drones should be in an hour long attack segment.
There is not segment after that so they should still be in that mode.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
Are you sure you are ever being attacked? A quick looks shows they are only attacking your wing man.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 11:45:48 AM »
Are you sure you are ever being attacked? A quick looks shows they are only attacking your wing man.

HiTech

Well, that's my point. 

I could understand them staying on him once they start the attack.  Target fixation is something that you will see in human pilots.  Although, it would be optimal if they adjusted and put one on each enemy once the second enemy joins or else it makes them very vulnerable.

However, the real glitch is obvious if your wingman dies.  They should still be in attack mode. I was within their attack range.  They should have re-targeted me at that point at the very least.  Instead I just fly up with 10 yards and shoot one and then the other and they never react.

I did it now on Waffle too, so it is not terrain specific. 

Waffle terrain mis and film attached.  (wingman dies at 2:54)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:04:32 PM by CptTrips »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
Wait.  Are you saying it should only get one kill for the attack segment?  Is it unloading the attack segment after the first target is killed even with other enemy nearby?

I was assuming that for the duration of the attack segment it would continue to acquire new targets within range if a earlier target dies.  Is that not the case?
The attack segment was defined to last an hour.  I was within range, but it is like they dropped out of attack mode after their first target died.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:07:00 PM by CptTrips »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
Wait.  Are you saying it should only get one kill for the attack segment?  Is it unloading the attack segment after the first target is killed even with other enemy nearby?

I was assuming that for the duration of the attack segment it would continue to acquire new targets within range if a earlier target dies.  Is that not the case?
The attack segment was defined to last an hour.  I was within range, but it is like they dropped out of attack mode after their first target died.

I found the bug, the AI would never attack the human player offline. In the film they were only attacking your wing man and never you.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 12:35:25 PM »
I found the bug, the AI would never attack the human player offline. In the film they were only attacking your wing man and never you.

HiTech

:aok