Author Topic: VPC Mongoos T-50 Joystick  (Read 2984 times)

Offline novice

• Copper Member
VPC Mongoos T-50 Joystick
« on: February 23, 2019, 10:08:22 AM »
Anyone has one or know anything about these. Im looking to buy the left handed version. It looks sweet and my understanding is the base is sold separate and there is a wait involved in getting one.

Any input is appreciated!

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50lh-grip.html
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:10:18 AM by novice »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: VPC Mongoos T-50 Joystick
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
I'm of the other tribe, VKB. It's safe to say that both VKB and Virpil make a very nice, well-built products that are packed with features. My stick is far and away better than the CH stick I'd used for years and will likely be the last stick I'll ever have to buy. I hear lots of good things about the Virpil stuff also.

However, both suffer from the same issues regarding supply. They're small companies serving a niche market. Development of their controllers is nauseatingly slow. Glad there's 3D printing so they can easily test prototypes or it'd be even worse! Once they arrive, they're produced in very small batches and while quite pricey they're all snapped up maybe within hours of being available! Another production run in their very small factories will then take many months, stuff shows in stock, quickly disappears.... Lather, rinse, repeat!

This is so for each of these companies. Ya really have to keep an eye on their stores and subscribe to their newsletters and forums if you're serious about buying otherwise you'll miss them. That said if you're lucky enough to snag the stick you'll absolutely be happy with it. Head and shoulders above anything else that's out there that are generally mass produced.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
Thank you for your response. So seeing that the LH I want is available now I should snatch it up even tho the base is not as of right now? Apparently their stock will be replenished this week according to the website.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
Thank you for your response. So seeing that the LH I want is available now I should snatch it up even tho the base is not as of right now? Apparently their stock will be replenished this week according to the website.

If that is the model you want, and it just happens to be available???

Heck yes buy it.. And consider yourself lucky! :banana:

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »
HAHA I guess you are right. Reading their website the sticks and bases sell out in minutes. People stay up for release time and place all items in the cart, save their personal info and copy their CC number in to Notepad to streamline ordering process and still a lot of them dont get all the items they order. I had no idea in this day and age we would have to sit and wait in the Virtual Belarus waiting line like litttle crackheads we are.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 01:08:26 PM »
I bought my VKB gunfighter base as soon as I could looking forward to buying their MCG-Pro grip that was still under development at the time. (it's nearly identical to the one you're looking at except it's right hand). So I had a base with no grip for a year! That's just how these guys roll! But yeah if the grip you want is in stock I'd grab it before it disappears. The base will be along eventually,

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 02:35:16 PM »
I have the base and the T50 (right hand version)

I like the set up and it is a good workable stick although the buttons are not as easy to reach as the Warthog.

I do not regret buying the stick.  I also got the desk clamp and some stick extenders which means I can configure the set up to my liking.

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 02:38:45 PM »

I like the set up and it is a good workable stick although the buttons are not as easy to reach as the Warthog.

I do not regret buying the stick.  I also got the desk clamp and some stick extenders which means I can configure the set up to my liking.

They do look like they are all up there. Im hoping with my paws for hands that should not be dealbreaker. Im about to order the stick and stay on the prowl for the base.

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 02:39:57 PM »

What did you end up mapping to the analogue break lever for AH im wondering.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 03:12:32 PM »
I have a Mongoos T-50 and love it. FYI the Mongoos T-50 base is no longer being produced they superseded it with VPC WarBRD base. There does seem to be a very high demand for their product right now and Virpil has been struggling to keep up. The positive side to that is that they have moved production in house in Romania. They are no longer being manufactured in China. They have been keeping to a two week restock schedule but the demand is so great that it seems the bases are sold out quickly. You might wait to get a stick though they just announced a new stick with even more buttons. They haven't said if they are going to produce the new stick in left hand version yet but I would imagine that can't be far off since they already have the left handed molds for that style stick.

If you haven't already check out the forums, https://forum.virpil.com/ I like to look at the Russian forum also (Google translate is a great thing).

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »

Nothing as yet.  I do not fly as much as I used to so only have the basics mapped

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 03:41:51 PM »
I saw that they put a hat switch instead of the thumb button on the new style Mongoos but there is no LH version. All these greedy space sim people that need two joystics are exacerbating the supply problem. According to the website Feb 27th is the replenishment date fingers crossed.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
Dive brake. But you could use it toggle things like bay doors or gear.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 04:07:19 AM »
I have a couple T50 and a WarBrd from Virpil.  Have 2 VKB Gunfighters as well.  Very similar, but there are some differences.

First off as already said, the T50 is discontinued now, at least the base is, you have to buy the WarBrd base with the T50 stick now.

If you aren't in Europe, stock is an issue.  Virpil does "restocks" for the N.A. market, and it's on the website as to when.  Next one is on the 27 at 9AM GMT - you better be waiting at that time on the site, as the stuff sells out VERY fast, as in minutes, or like the last one, ONE minute.  My advice is to have an account made up on the site, have the items you want in your wishlist, and to jump on them FAST.  Last update I grabbed another base (WrBrd as the T50 bases are done) to go with a 2nd throttle and another couple deskclamps, and did it this way and was successful.  Have your credit card numbers memorized too, and punch stuff in as quick as you can.  It's literally THAT competitive to get an order through.

I don't have a left hand T50, but I do have their "Space" sim stick which is ambidextrous.  That "Delta" stick might be an option for you too, it comes with an analogue  ministick, something the T50 stick lacks.  Also, there is a new model of the T50 stick coming out with better and more hats, and a different trigger system.  T50CM2, Not sure if it's available in left  hand or not, but you probably want to check that out as well.

Word of warning, the software doesn't have great documentation, so you have to do a bit of research in various forums, reddit, and on Youtube to get into the more advanced capabilities of the Virpil sticks and throttles.

Personally, I am using the VKB Gunfighter sticks a bit more, as you can use them on desktop and I prefer this to the desk clamp method (you'll need a desk  clamp mount for the WarBrd IMO, as it still sits MUCH too high for desktop use, although some don't mind it, I find it to be 2 or 3 inches higher than the VKB, Warthog, CH, etc).  I do use the T50/Wrbrd in both Virpil and Monster desk mounts for jet/DCS games while using VR.

A great option too is to use the Warthog metal A10C stick in the WrBrd base - this is probably my favorite combo/set up of all the hotas sticks available right now.

Both VKB and Virpil have been excellent so far as customer service.  Both have gotten back to me same day and fixed the few small issues I've had here and there with the software.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 04:13:25 AM by Gman »

Offline novice

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 08:54:13 AM »
I ike your idea of Warthog stick but I dont belive they are available in LH setup.
The more I read about it im ready to pull the trigger on the one I posted above.