Author Topic: Windows xp  (Read 683 times)

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
Windows xp
« on: February 23, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
After the new update on my pops machine it says it doesn't support windows xp. Is that a new thing? Can it be fixed?
The Flying Circus

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Windows xp
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 07:55:29 PM »
It's relatively new...only fix is to upgrade to Win 7 or Win 10.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:30:31 PM »
Windows XP is no longer supported by HTC   :frown:

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 02:54:01 AM »
Microsoft stopped supporting XP in April, 2014. That's almost five years ago. AH was one of the last mohicans to support it.

There's several reasons why applications stop supporting old operating systems. One that should be obvious to even the less computer savvy is internet security: If you get a nasty virus that steals your identity because you're using an unsupported system to run an up-to-date program, whom could you sue? Right, not the company who officially has informed that their system is no longer safe to use!

Another reason is compatibility. Microsoft no longer provides tools to create apps for platforms from XP to 10. Of course one might be able to use the old tools for XP and the new ones for the rest, but that would mean an entirely different version for a marginal clientele. You want to play against all AH players, not only against those very few using XP! The current statistics tell that in the USA 94% of Windows desktops use a supported version and 1% use XP. Last night there was about 100 players when I logged in. Compared to those stats that would mean that there would have been one player on a dedicated XP server. Now that would be low numbers!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Phantomz

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:51:02 AM »
I understand the reasoning just fine. Just didn't know if it was some kind of glitch or error hi-tech wasn't aware of.  I already informed him he will need to upgrade before I posted was just looking for confirmation
The Flying Circus

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »
 :salute I tend to overreact with the details just in case, both because of my job and what I've seen here. It's easier to be utterly accurate at the very start - there's several lengthy detailed threads where the OP says at the end of the third page that he doesn't understand what he's been instructed to do.  ;)
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 05:02:07 PM »
Had the same issue. Upgraded to Win10 on same machine with no troubles. Gluck.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24