Author Topic: Which Rudders and System upgrade.  (Read 1047 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Which Rudders and System upgrade.
« on: June 04, 2020, 11:20:58 PM »
I'm really seriously considering upgrading to a Virpil Base Grip and Throttle however the Pedals are a bit iffy.

I already have a full CH set up with 2 sets of pedals (one needs toe brake cable replaced) and since the brand on the Pedals isn't as important I'm debating between my existing CH pedals, ThrustMaster Tpr Pedals, Virpil VPC Ace-2, and MFG Crosswind V2. The Thrustmaster TPR Pedals are the most expensive and I think they are considered the toughest.

I also plan to do a system upgrade.

I'm debating an AMD Ryzen 9 3900x but I can't find the right motherboard right now.
The 10th gen Intel Core I9 10900KF if I can find a CPU
Or if all else fails the 9th gen core I9 9900k if I can find a Motherboard.

My understanding the 10th gen Core I9 is a Toaster Oven more so than the old Prescott CPU's and they suck power and without extreme cooling it wont hit it's full speed.

Any thoughts?
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Which Rudders and System upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:12:47 AM »
I have the VKB T-Rudder Mk IV pedals and they are excellent.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 12:37:29 AM »
I have the same and after a short adjustment getting used to the different motion they are very good.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 08:23:59 AM »
I just put together a 3900x system. It's on the Asus Strix x570-e Gaming mobo. Had what I needed. Didn't need the wifi but the f model wasn't available. I've had good luck with Asus boards.

As I've said earlier, I'm still using my CH throttle. That is until VKB gets theirs out. It's only been two years since they announced it! I'm using their Gunfighter with the MCG-Pro grip. Extremely well built with software that goes on forever. Really love it. For pedals I went with the MFG Crosswinds. They're also very well built and are super smooth.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 07:04:26 PM »
VKB pedals are extremely well put together.  If you go the VKB route, the pedals also plug into the same black box for the VKB sticks, which allows them to both utilize a single USB to your computer.  (I have the T-Rudder Mark IV)

It is a very thought out system.  One very slight drawback, the VKB pedals currently have no toebrake.  So, if you're a serious warbird fanatic on super realism, that might make you think about them.  The pedals themselves are amazing... they are smooth and responsive, with no "notching" as you go through cycling them.  They put out whatever slight input you give them.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:06:19 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 07:38:06 PM »
Unfortunately the toe breaks was deal breaker for me.

VKB pedals are extremely well put together.  If you go the VKB route, the pedals also plug into the same black box for the VKB sticks, which allows them to both utilize a single USB to your computer.  (I have the T-Rudder Mark IV)

It is a very thought out system.  One very slight drawback, the VKB pedals currently have no toebrake.  So, if you're a serious warbird fanatic on super realism, that might make you think about them.  The pedals themselves are amazing... they are smooth and responsive, with no "notching" as you go through cycling them.  They put out whatever slight input you give them.

Hope this helps.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 05:10:09 AM »
The toe breaks were also a deal breaker for me. I went with Drano's earlier advice, followed up with my own research, and purchased the (Milan Flight Gear) MFG Crosswinds. Two months on, I'm not disappointed.

The assembly reminded me of Christmas eve assembly of the kid's new toys. It took this old coot two days!

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 07:06:43 AM »
ya got grandkids  for this complicated stuff?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
ya got grandkids  for this complicated stuff?

Who doesn't?  :D
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »

Ditto, IMO the VKB pedals are the best bang/$ out there, plus they move from pressing your foot/ankle, as opposed to your leg/knee like most other "foot on pedal" pedal sets.  MFG Xwind are nice as well, but I use them the least.  Slaw's RX Viper are probably the nicest I've got, but they cost several times what the VKB pedals do.  I just got Virpil's new pedals, but haven't flown more than an hour with them, but so far so good, all metal construction like VKB (mostly metal as in 95%). 

Mayhem, if no hardware toe brakes is something you can come around to live with, I'd seriously consider adding VKB to your list, despite you feeling they are a dealbreaker atm.  I have the Virpil Ace 2 myself, and have tried it quickly in the foot on floor/combat style setup (similar to my Slaw Viper RX peds in movement), and they so far are excellent like I said.  I've had several sets of CH over the years, you probably notice they get a bit crunchy over time as debris/dust falls into them, requiring disassembly to clean them.  Thrustmaster TRP are probably the only set of pedals out there I don't have, and I refuse to give TM one more dollar due to the 3 Warthog sticks I've had, and the sticktion/BS gimbal construction that they have all had, and their absolutely abysmal support.  Guys that have reviewed them say they work well though.  MFG Xwind are mostly made out of a non-metal material, but they are pretty solid still, and an excellent foot-off-floor pedal.  One nice thing about the top end Virpil pedals is that you can switch them between foot on floor and foot off floor, it only takes a couple minutes tops.

I took a pic of the VKB peds compared to the Virpil Ace2 (I have the foot on pedal brackets on now, going to try that out tonight) for size comparison Mayhem.  Tomorrow I'll grab my Slaw and Xwinds and do the same.  VKB are a very slim profile compared to other peds, but very, very comfortable IMO, you don't feel like your legs/knees are too close or too far, plus it's easy to have your feet right off of them and then quickly put them back I find...

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:26:05 PM by Gman »

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »
Ditto, IMO the VKB pedals are the best bang/$ out there, plus they move from pressing your foot/ankle, as opposed to your leg/knee like most other "foot on pedal" pedal sets.  MFG Xwind are nice as well, but I use them the least.  Slaw's RX Viper are probably the nicest I've got, but they cost several times what the VKB pedals do.  I just got Virpil's new pedals, but haven't flown more than an hour with them, but so far so good, all metal construction like VKB (mostly metal as in 95%). 

Mayhem, if no hardware toe brakes is something you can come around to live with, I'd seriously consider adding VKB to your list, despite you feeling they are a dealbreaker atm.  I have the Virpil Ace 2 myself, and have tried it quickly in the foot on floor/combat style setup (similar to my Slaw Viper RX peds in movement), and they so far are excellent like I said.  I've had several sets of CH over the years, you probably notice they get a bit crunchy over time as debris/dust falls into them, requiring disassembly to clean them.  Thrustmaster TRP are probably the only set of pedals out there I don't have, and I refuse to give TM one more dollar due to the 3 Warthog sticks I've had, and the sticktion/BS gimbal construction that they have all had, and their absolutely abysmal support.  Guys that have reviewed them say they work well though.  MFG Xwind are mostly made out of a non-metal material, but they are pretty solid still, and an excellent foot-off-floor pedal.  One nice thing about the top end Virpil pedals is that you can switch them between foot on floor and foot off floor, it only takes a couple minutes tops.

I took a pic of the VKB peds compared to the Virpil Ace2 (I have the foot on pedal brackets on now, going to try that out tonight) for size comparison Mayhem.  Tomorrow I'll grab my Slaw and Xwinds and do the same.  VKB are a very slim profile compared to other peds, but very, very comfortable IMO, you don't feel like your legs/knees are too close or too far, plus it's easy to have your feet right off of them and then quickly put them back I find...

(Image removed from quote.)

Gman I had a question ..... Do any of the Rudder pedals that have toe breaks have locks on the yaw like CH does? I use my CH pedals for racing games like project cars sence I can chock the yaw axis so only the toe breaks move.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »
No, not that I've found or tried at least.  So far as I can tell, my Ace -2's don't, VKB's don't, neither of the Slaw models I have do (109Cam and Rx Vipers), nor do the MFG Xwinds.  It's a really good point and question though.  Until VR came along I never really played a lot of driving sims, but I picked up a bunch of car sim/games on Steam sales, and along with VR they are pretty new and incredible now (for me).  I've just been using an Xbox controller as I don't have a wheel/pedal set, and was just considering trying to use some of my peds for driving and figuring out if they'll work at all.  I hadn't thought of pulling out a set of old CH pedals for this purpose, so I might try that out today. 

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »
No, not that I've found or tried at least.  So far as I can tell, my Ace -2's don't, VKB's don't, neither of the Slaw models I have do (109Cam and Rx Vipers), nor do the MFG Xwinds.  It's a really good point and question though.  Until VR came along I never really played a lot of driving sims, but I picked up a bunch of car sim/games on Steam sales, and along with VR they are pretty new and incredible now (for me).  I've just been using an Xbox controller as I don't have a wheel/pedal set, and was just considering trying to use some of my peds for driving and figuring out if they'll work at all.  I hadn't thought of pulling out a set of old CH pedals for this purpose, so I might try that out today.

I have an Old Thrustmaster wheel from 16 years ago and I like using my CH Yoke as a wheel from time to time ... I Need to figure out a way to lock the Y axis.