Author Topic: New Handle "Kosmosim" for Gladiator Pro and Gunfighter  (Read 3630 times)

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
New Handle "Kosmosim" for Gladiator Pro and Gunfighter
« on: March 09, 2019, 06:24:38 PM »
Just got the Kosmosim handle to use on my Gunfighter. Ordered the Pro which has the optional POV hat to replace the Mini Stick button on the upper left. It was kinda of a hassle to install it because you have take everything out of the stick to get it on. I Like it better than the MCG because its shorter and I like the POV hat contact buttons instead of the non-contact on the MCG. I would like to get one for my Gladiator Pro but its the first model with 5 pins and they don't have one for it. My Gladiator is smoother than my Gunfighter. I would recommend the Kosmosim handle if you can get one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:32:47 PM by yipi »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: New Handle "Kosmosim" for Gladiator Pro and Gunfighter
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 06:45:57 PM »
I ordered the whole Kosmosim Gunfighter stick a couple days ago, I was lucky I was up at 3am when VKB sent out the email that they were in stock, by 8am they were all gone as per usual. 

What you're describing is what I'm looking forward to trying out, especially the shorter grip.

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 09:26:03 PM »
I am using the no detent cams and found that the 30 springs for the up down motion was the minimum  I could use without it wandering. I am using the 20 for left right motion. I didn't install the thumb optional button but I am thinking of putting it on the 4 way doesn't always work right. The video of the install for the optional POV upper left had is outdated you will notice the 3 springs they take our aren't there for the Hats but they said they are using Silicone toggles so you don't need em. I like it a lot better than the MCG. Be prepared to take a while to install the optional POV was nerve racking didn't think the stick would work after I did it lol

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:25:26 PM »
I have 2 Gunfigher table top pro revBs and it's the same story with the springs with them, the lightest springs make it even lighter than a CH stick, about 1/2 in fact IMO.  I figured the Space stick would have the same spring tensions.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
How do you like the SCG compared to the MCG?

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 07:34:13 PM »
I have a VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with the complete Mk.III upgrade kit. I have the VKB MCG Pro, SCG Pro, and KG12 grips. I have also adapted my TM Warthog and F/A-18C grips to work with the Gunfighter. I swap grips periodically depending on which aircraft I am flying in DCS World.

The MCG Pro is the most capable stick with so many features that allow it to model the features of almost any aircraft stick grip, usually with buttons/hats/axes to spare. I like that its controls model the modern Russian grips, but it is a large grip and the controls can be difficult to reach/operate without shifting your hand up or down a little.

The SCG Pro doesn't have quite as many buttons/axes as the MCG Pro, principally because it has a single button on the right side instead of a pov hat. But it is sized / shaped / arranged to be more like US aircraft grips. Unless you need the brake lever axis or one more POV hat, the SCG Pro is a very good choice for comfort and functionality.

The TM F/A-18C grip has no axes and a few less buttons/triggers, but is otherwise as comfortable and effective as the SCG Pro. Because it is an accurate shape/arrangement for the F-15C, F/A-18C, and AV-8B as well as being reasonably sized/shaped to substitute for the B-8 grip common to so  many US aircraft it is my go-to grip for flying US aircraft. The form / function of the SCG Pro vs the F/A-18C grip is so close, that it is a matter of personal preference, and I prefer the look and feel of the F/A-18C for many aircraft.

The KG12 is cool for flying Luftwaffe, but it was not designed very well compared to the later VKB grips. The POV had doesn't have a center-press function. Unlike the MCG Pro, there is no means for sims to know the position of the flip-down trigger. But it is cool to have the grip feel like what you see in VR, so it was worth it to me unless a better KG12 grip becomes available.

The TM Warthog grip is the one I use the least. It is only accurate for the A-10C and F-16C. It is a good stand-in for the B-8 grip in terms of buttons/trigger/trim hat, but unlike the real B-8 and the TM F/A-18C grip, I find its angular, squared off grip shape is the least comfortable. I know a lot of people like the feel of the cold metal, but I prefer the "warmth" of the plastic grips, which coincides with the material and feel of real grips.

So if you are going for pure capability and flexibility, the MCG Pro is the way to go. For a balance between functionality, comfort, arrangement, etc., the SCG Pro is probably a better choice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 07:40:23 PM by streakeagle »
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 09:27:59 PM »
Thanks for the write up. I think I'll get the SCG.

If you put the warthog stick on the gunfighter base does that mess with the feel since I believe it's a heavier grip?

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 08:39:55 PM »
Thanks for the write up. I think I'll get the SCG.

If you put the warthog stick on the gunfighter base does that mess with the feel since I believe it's a heavier grip?

With the #50 springs and the latest aviator cams that came with the MkIII upgrade, the warthog grip's weight doesn't pose much of a problem even with the 20cm curved extension. It does make it feel smoother/easier to move than with the lighter all-plastic grips. But it has no problems centering. You can feel more of a difference depending on whether you use a straight extension or a curved extension. VKB offers a 10cm straight and the Pro comes with the 20cm curved. I prefer straight for my installation that was designed to replicate the geometry of an F-4 cockpit seat/stick/throttle arrangement. I just need a 15 to 17 cm extension to get the various grips at the right height compared to my real F-4 stick's range of motion in the pitch axis and height. I have aluminum tubing that will be perfect once it is cut to the right height and has the holes needed to screw in the ends from the 20cm extension.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:49:07 PM »
With the #50 springs and the latest aviator cams that came with the MkIII upgrade, the warthog grip's weight doesn't pose much of a problem even with the 20cm curved extension. It does make it feel smoother/easier to move than with the lighter all-plastic grips. But it has no problems centering. You can feel more of a difference depending on whether you use a straight extension or a curved extension. VKB offers a 10cm straight and the Pro comes with the 20cm curved. I prefer straight for my installation that was designed to replicate the geometry of an F-4 cockpit seat/stick/throttle arrangement. I just need a 15 to 17 cm extension to get the various grips at the right height compared to my real F-4 stick's range of motion in the pitch axis and height. I have aluminum tubing that will be perfect once it is cut to the right height and has the holes needed to screw in the ends from the 20cm extension.

You should post a picture of that setup!

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 08:17:12 AM »
Just setup te SCG (tabletop) .. playing with springs and cams. What do you guys use? I tried the 30 springs but found it too heavy and went back to the 20s. Also thinking about experimenting with the linear cams

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »
I have the original #10 cams with one set of #30 springs on mine with MCG-Pro. I have the GF3 upgrade kit arriving this week so I'll be experimenting with the new cams springs. I'll let ya know how it goes.

The stronger springs take some getting used to especially after years of the CH fighterstick with next to no tension at all. But it's so light it never had any problems centering. I tried the GF with the lightest springs and found it just didn't want to center. I gotta say I have to wonder about the longevity of the gimbal, sturdy as it is, with these guys that put a pair of the strongest springs with an extension on the grip. But I haven't seen many reports of bent posts! The single 30 is about all the tension I like and feel safe about.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 05:02:17 PM »
The 30 springs seemed too stiff. Went back to 20s for now but will see how I like it. Also am trying the space cams as I think I prefer the linear feel, especially in roll

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 07:15:27 PM »
You should post a picture of that setup!

I originally built the left console with the throttle and the quasi-replica F-4 ejection seat to match my real F-4 stick.

But I was using a linear pot for pitch input, and it got to be high maintenance needing to be cleaned with alcohol at least once a day. So, I replaced the F-4 stick/grip combo with the Warthog stick with a 15 cm extension. I also had Saitek pedals that I have had forever.

I decided to try the VKB Gunfighter II with the MCG Pro grip and loved it, so that replaced the Warthog stick.

I also added a "co-pilot".

I also decided to get the Thrustmaster TPR pedals that are very close to F-4 Phantom pedals. Along they way, I adapted my Thrustmaster Warthog grip and the F/A-18C grip to work on the VKB Gunfighter 2 base (recently updated to Gunfighter 3 standards). I now have every grip that can be adapted to the VKB Gunfighter, including the SCG Pro... which brings me back to the original topic after drifting way, way off.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:35:48 PM by streakeagle »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 07:34:51 PM »
I'm pretty sure I love and hate you at the same time. It's exhilaratingly confusing.  :joystick: :O :uhoh :old:

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 07:40:16 PM »
Nice setup Streakeagle!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:44:15 PM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!