Author Topic: Where'd my disk space go?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Where'd my disk space go?
« on: March 11, 2019, 02:40:04 PM »
I'm 99% sure this is a fuzeman problem opposed to an iTunes, iPhone, Microsoft, or Windows 7 Ultimate issue but I need some advice.
Anyway, sister has an iPhone X with about 256Gb, my computer has 4Mb and a 300Gb hd and she wanted me to copy all her pictures onto an external hd she bought. She takes a LOT of pictures. My hd was about 1/2 full so I had about 150Gb of free space. I hook up her phone and it goes into it's automatic backup thing with iTunes and that fails as I do not have enough memory to complete this. Just copying and pasting I then try to copy photos from iPhone to the external hd. During the process it comes up with a low disk warning and I see I'm redlined on hd space now with less than 10Gb free. I did the disk clean up thing and it didn't free up much space so I'm wondering what I have to do or undo or delete to get my hd space back.
There a better way to do this without iCloud that wont mess me up next time?
Thanks in advance and for the extra disk space  :aok
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Where'd my disk space go?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:52:57 PM »
How coincidental! Just today I had a customer with only KB's left on his 120 GB SSD. It appeared that his Windows\Temp file was about 79 GB! And the Clean Manager didn't clean that, most likely because there were files newer than 24 hours.

So I took my trusty old USB stick where I had a portable copy of CCleaner with the 24 hours rule unchecked and voilą, a much leaner disk!

Apple software is poison to Windows... I don't know if iPhones allow using the Windows Explorer like Android phones do. That's my preferred method, finding the phone as an external disk and exploring to the photo folder, copy-paste and when it's successfully done, delete the photos in the phone.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »
Like many others my age there was a time where downloading music was a hobby from one or more of the BBS , limewire, Napster sites. During an Itunes update all of a sudden now about 10000 songs have a security error come up for every song. Following the prompts no worky. Apple is taking over the world.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 06:55:31 PM »
Pretty sure it was windows explorer I used. Off to check that stuff again. I've been swearing at it for more than 24 hours so maybe it will show up  :O

Edit- I'll free up 293Kb with downloaded program files, Temp internet files, recycle bin, temporary files, per user archived windows error reports checked. Can't recall hitting the 'clean up system files' button in a while.

How coincidental! Just today I had a customer with only KB's left on his 120 GB SSD. It appeared that his Windows\Temp file was about 79 GB! And the Clean Manager didn't clean that, most likely because there were files newer than 24 hours.

So I took my trusty old USB stick where I had a portable copy of CCleaner with the 24 hours rule unchecked and voilą, a much leaner disk!

Apple software is poison to Windows... I don't know if iPhones allow using the Windows Explorer like Android phones do. That's my preferred method, finding the phone as an external disk and exploring to the photo folder, copy-paste and when it's successfully done, delete the photos in the phone.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 07:01:25 PM by fuzeman »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 02:57:51 AM »
Oh yes, I was thinking about the "Clean Up System Files" button but forgot about it because I would have to had to look for the English name for it! If your Windows Update hasn't been up to the task lately, the System Files cleaner might find quite a lot of junk there. Worth checking!

Anyhow, as I mentioned and if my memory serves me right, there's a 24 hrs rule for the Clean Manager not to touch the latest files. That includes older files that get modified on a daily basis. Those can be huge! Since I can't find how to bypass that rule, I use CCleaner where it can be disabled by unchecking a tick box in Settings>Advanced: Only delete files older than 24 hrs in Windows Temp folders.

BTW if your Windows Update hasn't been able to update your system since November/December 2016 and the History is blank, there's a simple fix: In the Settings, change the updating schedule from Automatic to Never. Click OK, then go back to the Settings and change it back. If you've been using any other setting there, changing and rechanging should do the trick anyhow.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 06:59:09 PM »
I've stayed away from Windows Update since June '18 when it made my Windows not genuine and have not bothered to look into that or fix it at all, so I should expect issues I guess. Can't expect much from the computer when the operator is not getting any wiser with  :old:  Still using, LoL , win 7 ultimate and should probably cogitate something newer.
I'm not really a cutting edge kind of guy I guess  :rofl

Oh yes, I was thinking about the "Clean Up System Files" button but forgot about it because I would have to had to look for the English name for it! If your Windows Update hasn't been up to the task lately, the System Files cleaner might find quite a lot of junk there. Worth checking!

Anyhow, as I mentioned and if my memory serves me right, there's a 24 hrs rule for the Clean Manager not to touch the latest files. That includes older files that get modified on a daily basis. Those can be huge! Since I can't find how to bypass that rule, I use CCleaner where it can be disabled by unchecking a tick box in Settings>Advanced: Only delete files older than 24 hrs in Windows Temp folders.

BTW if your Windows Update hasn't been able to update your system since November/December 2016 and the History is blank, there's a simple fix: In the Settings, change the updating schedule from Automatic to Never. Click OK, then go back to the Settings and change it back. If you've been using any other setting there, changing and rechanging should do the trick anyhow.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 01:53:24 AM »
Hey, I'm using Win7 as well and will at least until the support ends January 2020. Getting just the "critical" updates has kept me out of various troubles so far, including the "Get Win10" nag and the spying telemetry updates. I hope 10 will improve during the upcoming year so that I can "upgrade" without getting too angry.

Kotisivuni

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 06:48:59 PM »
Looked further and noticed in Computer>Local Disk(C:)>Users>fuzeman-PC7>AppData>Roaming>Apple Computer> MobileSync>Backup there was a HUGE file from 4 March so I deleted it and I now have 173 Gb of free space on my 297 Gb drive.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 09:33:56 AM »
Goes to show that Apple software doesn't work well in Windows! Good find.

Apparently you have an iPhone or iPad.

Kotisivuni

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
Looked further and noticed in Computer>Local Disk(C:)>Users>fuzeman-PC7>AppData>Roaming>Apple Computer> MobileSync>Backup there was a HUGE file from 4 March so I deleted it and I now have 173 Gb of free space on my 297 Gb drive.

This doesn't surprise me. 

Years ago I got an Apple Macbook Pro to use for processing pictures when I was out of town and away from my main computer ( Windows based ).  I was on a youth mission trip and posting pictures of what the kids had been up to ( to an online album) every evening so the parents could see.

One night, after I had only had the machine for a year, I get an out of space message when I was uploading.. now, this was back when 120gb was normally enough for awhile. I looked at all the suspect folders and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.   I would download the pictures from my camera into a folder, then select the images to upload ( after reducing resolution ) and then use the slideshow function to project the images so the kids could see themselves.

Had to do some research and discovered that the iPhoto app I was using was making a complete copy of every picture when I moved them to other folders or edited other copies I had made for uploading edits and put them into some secret folder that took me at least an hour to find.   Lo and behold, there was 50GB being used for absolutely nothing.   

It was a learning experience.   Primarily learned that Apple doesn't behave in an efficient manner when dealing with the volume of pictures I process.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 02:08:36 PM »
<SNIP>
It was a learning experience.   Primarily learned that Apple doesn't behave in an efficient manner when dealing with the volume of pictures I process.

I bet my sister takes more photos than you were at the time

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 02:57:01 PM »
I bet my sister takes more photos than you were at the time

LOL.. Well  I use DSLRs for the vast majority of what I shoot.  I've worn 2 out beyond repair since 2008. At the time I'd average 500 a day for each of the work days.

Today, I average 2000 pics per sporting event ( football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, swimming, baseball, Tennis, wrestling).

I have 14 x 1 or 2TB hard drives containing backups over the years.

Current computer has a 500GB SSD and secondary 500GB SSD with an internal 2TB backup drive and an externally mounted ( eSATA cradle ) 2TB drive.  I'm constantly rotating the data around after a shoot. ( 23GB per event is normal )

Still takes a significant chunk of time to move 20GB from one drive to another.

Oh, and this is just hobby work.  I don't even shoot pics for a living.
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group