Author Topic: list  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
list
« on: March 13, 2019, 05:28:35 PM »
This may come off as a bit harsh, but a wise man once said "The best way to get a Donkeys attention is to drive a pole between its ears".
Many of these topics have been mentioned in the past, but to my knowledge I don't think they have been all aggregated into a singular post.
1. Battleships, I cant imagine that Battleships were intended to be used in the way they actually are, about all they amount to is a way for the gun sitters to shut down a field. They ability for a naval battery from both Cruisers and Battleships to lay direct fire to hangers is just poor game mechanics. At least Cruisers are easy enough to destroy or disable plus it takes quite a few direct hits to kill a hanger unlike Battleships. I admit, when they first appeared I though they were another interesting tool, but as time progresses I more and more wish they were gone or at least kept far enough away from sure where they are unable to lay down direct fire on hangers.
2. The trees/tiles, the only item inferior in AH3 compared to AH2 are the damn trees, frankly, I think they suck. They don't look realistic from the air or from the ground, all they do is facilitate hiding in GVs. GV action in AH2 was much more fast paced then in AH3, due in part to dwindling player base, but also due to the trees making tank play more hide and seek, and less pitched battle. You can literally fly over a Wirb at 600 feet and not see it or an icon.
3. Base/Strat Resupply, Its far to easy and quick to negate what someone spend up to 2 hrs to do. It seems its just a mechanism for players to use to feel some sort of of purpose without engaging in any sort of combat. 
4. GVs in F3 mode or Ost/Wirbs, if you kill the commander of the tank, the tank itself should die just the same as killing a pilot in a bomber. I.E you strafe the commanders hatch while the tanker is in F3 mode the tank dies.
5. Vehicle supply, Its ludicrous that a single M3 can instantly resupply 10 vehicles with 10 turrets and crews, 10 engines, 20 tracks, and 10 full loads of ammo. Maybe a recovery vehicle and a 60 second wait time would be more practical.
6. The new icon dar. For the most part I like it, but parked planes or planes flying under 45 feet need to be invisible.
7. 5" guns with proximity fuses. Way to easy to use.
8. Radar, a dead radar ought to limit the icon range for planes while in a man-gun to no more then 6k
9. Country mechanics. The three country system as it stand now doesn't seem to be working all that well. For roughly the past 1.5 to 2 weeks two countries has been relentless on the third. I understand it to a point with the "lord of the flies' mentality exhibited by most players. For instance, at this moment country A has 30% of country C's bases, country B has 28% of country C's bases, neither country A or B have any of each others bases and no base is flashing or any dar is visible on that front. I doubt any bases except for the center vbases have changed hands in the past 24 hrs between country A and B. Essentially, for at least 80% of a maps duration you have a quasi 2 country war, or something akin to the Allies and Soviets vs Germany. I am by no means proposing a 2 country system, but a control of sorts to limit the ganging would be nice.

Chuikov

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: list
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »
I'm going to piggy back on this and mention that I think the GV dar shouldn't apply to the PT boats.
Pies not kicks.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
I go along with the tree thing.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:46:42 PM »
As far as I can tell from interacting with Hitech he will not allow changing of the tree and clutter tiles on terrains in rotation to adjust for player gripes about GV combat. I've listened to GVers complaining about the trees and clutter mostly in terms of how too much realism is making GVing horrible to play while blinded by too many trees. And they don't want to become GV gawds like Mano, Tyfoo and Dr7 just to compete. Most want easy peezy much like how most don't want to become FESS or 2cmex in fighters.

The complaint I just wrote about along with many others about the trees I've listened to, including being seriously asked to make a grass only terrain. I'm creating another terrain with very sparse trees for the GVers in all the ground combat areas on the terrain.

That village with it's houses and trees is a 1x1 tile and I cannot remove the trees. You will want them though, three spawns, one per country, will drop you into that village. While 6 spawns will allow snipers to sit where this panther is and long range you from about 2500 away. Quick, fast and nasty with very few places to hide. Reminds me of that crater tank town in AH2 with sparse trees and a custom 1x1 factory complex at the bottom of a bowl.

Today's testing on the terrain from the sniper gallery above the village. This tile looks like the winner for the rest of the terrain once I finish all the mountain ranges.

Today testing spawns in to the village.

Few days ago testing tree tiles, then testing spawns to the sniper galleries surrounding the village.

I started this terrain 3\4\19 and you can see how many mountain glacier cut ranges I have to go. The testing is fun since I've got 3-4 hours of mountain creating before my brains can't go any farther.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 02:53:46 AM »
As far as I can tell from interacting with Hitech he will not allow changing of the tree and clutter tiles on terrains in rotation to adjust for player gripes about GV combat. I've listened to GVers complaining about the trees and clutter mostly in terms of how too much realism is making GVing horrible to play while blinded by too many trees. And they don't want to become GV gawds like Mano, Tyfoo and Dr7 just to compete. Most want easy peezy much like how most don't want to become FESS or 2cmex in fighters.

Yawn.

As Nrshida noted the only way this is “most” is if it is “most of those who haven’t left.”

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 04:07:00 PM »
This may come off as a bit harsh, but a wise man once said "The best way to get a Donkeys attention is to drive a pole between its ears".
Many of these topics have been mentioned in the past, but to my knowledge I don't think they have been all aggregated into a singular post.
1. Battleships, I cant imagine that Battleships were intended to be used in the way they actually are, about all they amount to is a way for the gun sitters to shut down a field. They ability for a naval battery from both Cruisers and Battleships to lay direct fire to hangers is just poor game mechanics. At least Cruisers are easy enough to destroy or disable plus it takes quite a few direct hits to kill a hanger unlike Battleships. I admit, when they first appeared I though they were another interesting tool, but as time progresses I more and more wish they were gone or at least kept far enough away from sure where they are unable to lay down direct fire on hangers.
2. The trees/tiles, the only item inferior in AH3 compared to AH2 are the damn trees, frankly, I think they suck. They don't look realistic from the air or from the ground, all they do is facilitate hiding in GVs. GV action in AH2 was much more fast paced then in AH3, due in part to dwindling player base, but also due to the trees making tank play more hide and seek, and less pitched battle. You can literally fly over a Wirb at 600 feet and not see it or an icon.
3. Base/Strat Resupply, Its far to easy and quick to negate what someone spend up to 2 hrs to do. It seems its just a mechanism for players to use to feel some sort of of purpose without engaging in any sort of combat. 
4. GVs in F3 mode or Ost/Wirbs, if you kill the commander of the tank, the tank itself should die just the same as killing a pilot in a bomber. I.E you strafe the commanders hatch while the tanker is in F3 mode the tank dies.
5. Vehicle supply, Its ludicrous that a single M3 can instantly resupply 10 vehicles with 10 turrets and crews, 10 engines, 20 tracks, and 10 full loads of ammo. Maybe a recovery vehicle and a 60 second wait time would be more practical.
6. The new icon dar. For the most part I like it, but parked planes or planes flying under 45 feet need to be invisible.
8. Radar, a dead radar ought to limit the icon range for planes while in a man-gun to no more then 6k
9. Country mechanics. The three country system as it stand now doesn't seem to be working all that well. For roughly the past 1.5 to 2 weeks two countries has been relentless on the third. I understand it to a point with the "lord of the flies' mentality exhibited by most players. For instance, at this moment country A has 30% of country C's bases, country B has 28% of country C's bases, neither country A or B have any of each others bases and no base is flashing or any dar is visible on that front. I doubt any bases except for the center vbases have changed hands in the past 24 hrs between country A and B. Essentially, for at least 80% of a maps duration you have a quasi 2 country war, or something akin to the Allies and Soviets vs Germany. I am by no means proposing a 2 country system, but a control of sorts to limit the ganging would be nice.
I agree with all this.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »

You can't imagine that battleships were intended (in game or historically?) for shore bombardment (to soften of destroy targets)? Historically, they were used for that in WWII more than anything else (though many an admiral surely have envisioned big battle wagon sea battles. If the target isn't an airfield within range then it would be a port. Yes, they have a bigger punch than cruisers. Sure, they are harder to sink than cruisers. If there's a specific base you wish to protect from a battleship group, use a battleship group to protect it (or attack the enemy BB group with planes - another historically mimicked tactic).

2. The trees/tiles, the only item inferior in AH3 compared to AH2 are the damn trees, frankly, I think they suck. They don't look realistic from the air or from the ground, all they do is facilitate hiding in GVs. GV action in AH2 was much more fast paced th(a)n in AH3, due in part to dwindling player base, but also due to the trees making tank play more hide and seek, and less pitched battle. You can literally fly over a Wirb at 600 feet and not see it or an icon.

Again, much like it was in real life. Then again, how much of a threat is a Wirb that's hiding in trees? Hide and seek was indeed a WWII armor tactic, though.

2 hrs? The base/town you've assaulted will rebuild itself without the resupply in that time.

Only, you don't kill a bomber just because the player is in F3 mode. You kill it because you were able to fill a cockpit with lead and explosive cannon rounds. A tank commander isn't a pilot and killing an unbuttoned tank commander didn't destroy tanks.

Now you want realism? ;) As said (by you) before, this game doesn't have a player base large enough to support individual repair teams per damaged tank and it likely wouldn't be anymore popular than resupping bases is. AH has always needed a degree of compression for playability sake - especially with low #s.

Icon or dar? Dar bar calls alert for action in a zone. There are lots of places to hide in that large an area. As far as icons go, I see no reason to eliminate icons due to altitude. I would only see reason to obscure icons due to barriers, be they hangars, barns, trees or even clouds.

How hard do you want it to be and how would you implement it? Seriously, make too many things too hard to use and you lose more players.

Because human eyesight can't see a plane past 6k? Because human eyesight is enhanced by what the radar scope sees? Because man-guns are a threat past 6k (not including the 88)? :D

Tacking #9 to the rest when it's been made plainly clear by HT that the three country design is not going to be changed is not a productive suggestion, at this point.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 06:41:18 PM »
You obviously failed to read his comment regarding three sides...
”KILLER V”

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:55:06 PM »
You obviously failed to read his comment regarding three sides...

I think he fails to read alot of the comments that are posted. :devil

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:13:45 PM »

“Hi-yoooooooooo!  You are correct, sir!”  :devil
”KILLER V”

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:23 PM »
1. No one, and I mean no one, should ever put "realism" and "gvs" in the same sentence pertaining to AH3 game play.
2. Arlo must be a Boomer.
3. All i want to do is promote gameplay and new players
4. I know of only one person that actually likes Buzsaw, why is it in rotation.
5. Thank you Flippz, we dont see eye to eye on some occasions, but it seems we have the same idea towards gameplay

Chuikov

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 11:32:14 PM »

Alas, I didn't read the last line. Feel free to cite your perception, thoroughly, regarding my habitual practice. Your cartoons are missed.  :D

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 05:01:09 AM »

ie realistic, however in AH the Wirbelwind have a computer aided range to the plane all the time, something introduced with laser rangefinders in the 70's.
The effective range of the Wirbelwind should be reduced. They were used to protect columns and was very successful in doing that.
In AH you  can see more Wirbelwinds and Ostwind at an airfield than a Panzer battalion had.

Agreed

No a commander can, and will be replaced, introduction of a 10 second delay before you can shoot would be more realistic.

agreed

agreed

[/quote]
Front line ENY might be working, also you have to take bases at the front (supply strategy), unless a fleet is nearby, makes predictability for the defender work better and easier to create a fight, than taking defenseless fields.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:45 AM »

1. Battleships, I cant imagine that Battleships were intended to be used in the way they actually are, about all they amount to is a way for the gun sitters to shut down a field. They ability for a naval battery from both Cruisers and Battleships to lay direct fire to hangers is just poor game mechanics.

At least make the base flash when the first hangar is destroyed.  The battle group might be invisible to radar, but base personell might notice a hangar being destroyed.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 08:21:43 AM »
At least make the base flash when the first hangar is destroyed.  The battle group might be invisible to radar, but base personell might notice a hangar being destroyed.   :D

Much more logical request.  :aok