Author Topic: Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.  (Read 8361 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.
« on: March 17, 2019, 08:23:58 AM »
Win 7 support ends next Jan. I left behind Win XP kicking and screaming, lolz. I see MS maintains a website that still provides a free installation of W10 on machines with valid W7 OS's The link shows as www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10  I plan to upgrade my desktop only so will choose the "Upgrade this PC now" option. OTOH, should I lose a HD and need to do a clean reinstall at some point should I opt for the "create installation media" instead?

How long will the upgrade take? Any other words of wisdom I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance! :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:52:35 AM »
I lost a hard drive and simply signed into my M$ account after installing windows 10 and it authenticated.

Depending on your drive speed it can be as long as 20 or 30 minutes to install.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »
I would do a fresh install instead of upgrading over the accumulated debris of an OS that does things in a different way.

You can create the USB media either for your existing computer or "for another computer", mostly it's about drivers and maybe it will transfer the license as well. I use the generic one all the time. Get a new HDD just because and install using the Win7 license code on the sticker, taking care you choose the right version. Home to Home, Pro or Ultimate to Pro etc.

It should take about an hour or so depending on the speed of your computer. After that you'll have to install the motherboard drivers, then the external card drivers (video). It's pretty straightforward.

Oh, and: You will be strongly suggested to use a Microsoft account, the option for a local account is in the lower left corner of the screen on a low contrast small font. When the installation is finished, you'll be asked to use speech recognition and to allow all kinds of ways to spy on you for more effective marketing. Simply click the chapter saying "No, I don't want to..." and click Next. There's seven such questions before you get to the Desktop for the first time. There's more privacy related settings in the Settings, but disabling those is a good start.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »
Very timely thread, as Oculus dumped me along with support for 7. I feared I'd have to fork over $ for 10.

Great tip on 7 Pro to 10 Pro. I will look for that and the rest. Hope I can remember how to do the USB bit.

Thanks guys

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 11:57:07 AM »
Easyscor, it's pretty straightforward. Simply download the "Tool" in the link Max provided, run it and after accepting the EULA, choose the "Create media for another computer" option. Boot from the USB stick you just created and follow the instructions. When asked for the license key, apply the one you've been using for Win7.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 09:35:34 AM »
I don't see anything at the link that says it's still a free upgrade from W7 to W10. It specifies you need a Win10 license.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
I don't see anything at the link that says it's still a free upgrade from W7 to W10. It specifies you need a Win10 license.
It's a public secret, well documented in various IT articles both in English and Finnish, don't know about other languages though.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 12:24:40 PM »
Here is exactly how I upgraded 2 machines in January. I already had a windows 10 DVD. If you don't have one you can download it from Microsoft using their tools. Note that the DVD has every version of Windows 10 on it. It determines your flavor of windows based on the license/key you type in.

If you choose to do the fresh install just inset the DVD and follow directions. Skip anything in setup that asks for a license/key. After you have windows running, then you can go to START>>SETTINGS>>UPDATE & SECURITY>>ACTIVATION>> under UPDATE PRODUCT KEY select CHANGE PRODUCT KEY. Type in your windows 7 product key there. It will activate with a digital key for the same flavor of windows as the key is for.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 12:36:24 PM »
Anyone know how to get rid of Cortina or however you spell it in windows 10?  Also Skype? I need these removed somehow.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »
Anyone know how to get rid of Cortina or however you spell it in windows 10?  Also Skype? I need these removed somehow.

Cortana can be turned of via All Settings/Cortana.  Just turn the toggles off.
Skype can be uninstalled by following All Settings/Apps/Apps & Features.  Simply click uninstall on any apps you do not wish to have.

Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »
Cortana can be turned of via All Settings/Cortana.  Just turn the toggles off.
Skype can be uninstalled by following All Settings/Apps/Apps & Features.  Simply click uninstall on any apps you do not wish to have.

Coogan

Thank you. Do you think uninstalling both of those would improve performance. If so, do you have any other tips or things to disable?
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
Thank you. Do you think uninstalling both of those would improve performance. If so, do you have any other tips or things to disable?

I don't believe that Cortana can be unistalled, only turned off.  Removing anything that runs in the background will help. Just make sure it's things you'll never use.
I got rid of all of the games that Microsoft force on installation. 
I also turn off Game-Mode and anything associated with it.  Having that turned on actually made my games worse.   :headscratch:

Once you get it fine-tuned, I think you'll be a happy gamer.  It took me a while to get things somewhat streamlined, but in the end I feel it's quite worth the effort.

Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 11:32:41 PM »
havent been able to install upgrades in win7 in years. how is this different?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 01:47:50 AM »
havent been able to install upgrades in win7 in years. how is this different?

semp
If you're talking about upgrading on top of the existing Win7, that option went away with the nagging offer a few years ago. This is about a clean install using the license code of Win7.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
If you're talking about upgrading on top of the existing Win7, that option went away with the nagging offer a few years ago. This is about a clean install using the license code of Win7.

You can still UPGRADE windows 7. You just need to start the windows 10 install from within windows 7. Which means while the machine is booted up in windows 7. You will then get the option to upgrade.

Here is a link on a how to with all the info...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwij35rk4Y3hAhWpna0KHXmnCmcQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.com%2Farticle%2Fheres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade%2F&psig=AOvVaw2jzhZCcpXpRMhdryrqTSq9&ust=1553069743534791

80th FS "Headhunters"