Author Topic: New gaming desktop pc  (Read 2572 times)

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
New gaming desktop pc
« on: March 28, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »
Hi guys, I need you guy's help. My gaming pc died but it's fairly new so it's still under warranty. Because I'm a repeat customer they want to keep me happy so they have offered to give me free upgrades on a totally new gaming desktop. Where I need your help is cause I'm not too tech savvy with computers, Is this gonna be great, not just good to run AH3 with all the eye candy maxed out and with a great, not just good frame rate also. All the upgrades are being given to me at the same price as my old one too. Here is what's in it and what the upgrades are ( if I remember correctly ).

i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2 GHz ( 4.6GHz turbo ) six core---- old one was i5-8400

MSI Z390-A Pro--- old one was a MSI Z#&)-A Pro

16GB (2X8 GB) PC4-19200 DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel

GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Quad Head, HDMI,Displayport--- old one was a GTX1060 3GB one

250GB m.2 Solid State Drive, SATA3,560 Mbs--- no SSD on the old one

1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s 32m cache--- old one 3GB/s I think

22x DVDRecorder Dual Layer + R/RW - R/RW

802.11 300Mbs Network Card PCI Express

ThermalTake 700Watt Ultra quiet ATX Power Supply

W10 of course lol

Well that's what's going into it and what's getting upgraded. Any and all input is greatly appriciated and respected!!!

:cheers: :salute :salute :salute :salute :salute

DRAGUN/ Ron P

Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: New gaming desktop pc
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 02:23:33 AM »
The old one was already good, this is slightly better. Not much but most likely noticeably. The biggest difference can be seen in boot times because of the SSD. [Edit] If that were an upgrade it wouldn't be recommendable since there's not much gain compared to the previous build but in your case we're talking about repairing a fairly new rig with currently available parts so it's worthwile. In a "real" upgrade situation with performance issues doubling the performance would be the recommended starting point.  [/Edit]

Because of the way SSD's handle updates I recommend installing AH on the HDD. The myriads of micro updates (situational changes made by hundreds of players) during the game will most likely cause hassle in the long run and even the program updates can suffer.

I'd like to know the exact model of the Power Supply. There's several 700 watt PSU's on the market under the brand and half a dozen makers. Some of them may be firecrackers, some not so much. A 600-700W Seasonic or one made by them would be a safer choice. Going way past 700 can cause issues because of too much overhead.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 03:32:13 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:10:50 AM »
Thank you so much for your input, like I said I just don't have that much knowledge when it comes to the tech part of computers. That's my sons forte but he's not moving down here to Fl. till the summer.  :bhead :bhead :bhead lol. Again Thank You so much :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:17:32 AM »
 :salute :cheers:
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 05:36:43 AM »
Personally I would grab the video card and sell the old one on eBay for a few hundred bucks. And use that money to buy something nice by yourself. Like a SSD and have your son install it in summer. SSD's (depending on the one you have) will improve the loading times for games.

I have a 1060 3gb card and while it's not bad it does not run the newest games on max settings. The 2060 won't do that either but it has 6gb's on it and will be a little bit more future proof.

This is all under the assumption the warranty is providing this for you. I would not spend extra money on your current system.

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 07:25:54 AM »
are they making you pay or are they honoring the warranty and fixing it for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 09:02:45 AM »
I had the same thought as Bizman, everything looks good but I'd prefer a Seasonic power supply.

I don't know what you have for a monitor but if you want to use 4k or VR ask about upgrading the Video card.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:07:07 AM by FLS »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »
Hi guys, I need you guy's help. My gaming pc died but it's fairly new so it's still under warranty. Because I'm a repeat customer they want to keep me happy so they have offered to give me free upgrades on a totally new gaming desktop. Where I need your help is cause I'm not too tech savvy with computers, Is this gonna be great, not just good to run AH3 with all the eye candy maxed out and with a great, not just good frame rate also. All the upgrades are being given to me at the same price as my old one too. Here is what's in it and what the upgrades are ( if I remember correctly ).

i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2 GHz ( 4.6GHz turbo ) six core---- old one was i5-8400

MSI Z390-A Pro--- old one was a MSI Z#&)-A Pro

16GB (2X8 GB) PC4-19200 DDR4 2400MHz Dual Channel

GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Quad Head, HDMI,Displayport--- old one was a GTX1060 3GB one

250GB m.2 Solid State Drive, SATA3,560 Mbs--- no SSD on the old one

1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6GB/s 32m cache--- old one 3GB/s I think

22x DVDRecorder Dual Layer + R/RW - R/RW

802.11 300Mbs Network Card PCI Express

ThermalTake 700Watt Ultra quiet ATX Power Supply

W10 of course lol

Well that's what's going into it and what's getting upgraded. Any and all input is greatly appriciated and respected!!!

:cheers: :salute :salute :salute :salute :salute

DRAGUN/ Ron P

If you haven't pulled the trigger yet I would make this 1 suggestion to your new build...……………

I would consider to upgrade the mem frequency speeds (not mem capacity) to max of CL16 3200Hz since you're using a 16Gb 2x8Gb mem kit as these newer systems are better optimized by it and can make much better use of it in games...……..especially if you can get it as a free upgrade. If they'll offer you 16GB 2x8Gb kit of 3200Hz mem w\ a lower CL it's even better. Any freq speed over 3200Hz is diminishing returns at this time for the cost of it and any under 3000Hz IMHO is leaving some performance underutilized on these newer platforms unless you're having mem stability issues (would mostly be from using an older gen mobo or lower quality DIMM modules nowadays).

This is my suggestion for you to consider. All else looks good.

As for the SSD...…...1 of the best things you can do to protect any SSD being used as a boot drive is to use enough system mem (capacity) to essentially prevent the system from paging out to it as much as possible under use OR move the page file OFF of the boot drive SSD to another SEPARATE drive......not another partition on the same SSD boot drive. From my testing (I used AHIII in my testing FYI) 16Gb of system mem for a gaming box is more than enough to make this happen on a consistent basis w\ a SSD.

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 12:12:08 PM »
are they making you pay or are they honoring the warranty and fixing it for you?

This is all under warranty and the upgrades are compt due the problems I had the other one!!!!

:cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 12:15:54 PM »
Personally I would grab the video card and sell the old one on eBay for a few hundred bucks. And use that money to buy something nice by yourself. Like a SSD and have your son install it in summer. SSD's (depending on the one you have) will improve the loading times for games.

I have a 1060 3gb card and while it's not bad it does not run the newest games on max settings. The 2060 won't do that either but it has 6gb's on it and will be a little bit more future proof.

This is all under the assumption the warranty is providing this for you. I would not spend extra money on your current system.

DutchVII

All the warranty work and upgrades are FREE!!! It's actually a whole new pc!!!! Gonna talk to them about a better video card, as long as it doesn't break my wallet lol :cheers: :salute :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 12:18:20 PM »
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet I would make this 1 suggestion to your new build...……………

I would consider to upgrade the mem frequency speeds (not mem capacity) to max of CL16 3200Hz since you're using a 16Gb 2x8Gb mem kit as these newer systems are better optimized by it and can make much better use of it in games...……..especially if you can get it as a free upgrade. If they'll offer you 16GB 2x8Gb kit of 3200Hz mem w\ a lower CL it's even better. Any freq speed over 3200Hz is diminishing returns at this time for the cost of it and any under 3000Hz IMHO is leaving some performance underutilized on these newer platforms unless you're having mem stability issues (would mostly be from using an older gen mobo or lower quality DIMM modules nowadays).

This is my suggestion for you to consider. All else looks good.

As for the SSD...…...1 of the best things you can do to protect any SSD being used as a boot drive is to use enough system mem (capacity) to essentially prevent the system from paging out to it as much as possible under use OR move the page file OFF of the boot drive SSD to another SEPARATE drive......not another partition on the same SSD boot drive. From my testing (I used AHIII in my testing FYI) 16Gb of system mem for a gaming box is more than enough to make this happen on a consistent basis w\ a SSD.

Hope this helps.

:salute

I took your advice and did it, not costing me a thing for that one lol :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 12:24:10 PM »
The old one was already good, this is slightly better. Not much but most likely noticeably. The biggest difference can be seen in boot times because of the SSD. [Edit] If that were an upgrade it wouldn't be recommendable since there's not much gain compared to the previous build but in your case we're talking about repairing a fairly new rig with currently available parts so it's worthwile. In a "real" upgrade situation with performance issues doubling the performance would be the recommended starting point.  [/Edit]

Because of the way SSD's handle updates I recommend installing AH on the HDD. The myriads of micro updates (situational changes made by hundreds of players) during the game will most likely cause hassle in the long run and even the program updates can suffer.

I'd like to know the exact model of the Power Supply. There's several 700 watt PSU's on the market under the brand and half a dozen makers. Some of them may be firecrackers, some not so much. A 600-700W Seasonic or one made by them would be a safer choice. Going way past 700 can cause issues because of too much overhead.

I checked the power supply as you suggested, it is a Seasonic. :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »
Now you see why I ask questions from others that DON'T work for their company lol!!! I just don't know enough about computers. I would have never thought about any of these things. You guys :rock :rock :rock Thank You So Much!!! :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 01:11:22 PM »
This is all under warranty and the upgrades are compt due the problems I had the other one!!!!

:cheers: :salute

Misread yer post.At first it sounded like they were gonna sell you a new machine and throw in the upgrades to honor the warranty

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 03:11:01 PM »

Misread yer post.At first it sounded like they were gonna sell you a new machine and throw in the upgrades to honor the warranty

I gotcha lol!!! :cheers: :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11