Author Topic: Late war Plane dillema  (Read 39222 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Late war Plane dillema
« Reply #315 on: April 06, 2019, 10:07:27 PM »
I get what you are saying its just with a small squad you end up flying solo a lot. Big squads seam to have 3-4 guys on at all times

ask any squad that has numbers if you can join them for the night or couple  of hours.  most will let you play with them anytime without joining.  I do it if there isnt any pigs around and even then when there's pigs around sometimes we are doing our own thing in different places.  so I'll join some other players and sometimes i just fly alone.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2019, 01:04:35 PM »
I think maps like the Grinder map are a good size. Have definitely seen some good fights on there in multiple spots. Maps around that size with 15 - 17 miles bases do really well. The base layout after that is another most important part. I notice that alot of players like flying/tanking to a Vbase that's in the middle or near 2 bases of opposing teams. Lots of CV for close action is also great. Also, I'd really like to a see a smog 8 style map for Axis V Allies, but I just don't have time to attempt to make one. I feel that map was really great at getting enough players for a death match. The hardest part about custom arenas though is that there just has to be more than 3 people in it at all times to attract players, and someone has to leave to their computer up all day, which I cannot.   I feel like the AvA would be more populated if there could be a steady 3-5 players in there at all times (hard to do I know), along with a small island map that takes up about 4 sectors total. This is how H2H was always able to get players in the arena. Perhaps having the H2H on a different page in like it use to be will make it more popular. IDK for sure though. It's a shame more players don't open FFAs and death matches anymore...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
Nobody wants to be the first player in an empty arena. The option for AI would help with that.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2019, 04:24:46 PM »
Nobody wants to be the first player in an empty arena. The option for AI would help with that.

Would AI show as player #s on the main menu arena list?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »
Would AI show as player #s on the main menu arena list?

No, but it gives people a reason to spend time in there.

In WWI, for example, there are people who enjoy that genre.  But they don't go in there because there is no one in there.  And no one is in there , because no one goes in there. 

If someone went in there, there is nothing to do but fly in circles for a while waiting.  They leave, and then someone looks and there is no one in there, so they don't go in there.

AI augmented arenas would prime the pump.  People might go in there to futz with AI for a while.  Someone comes by and sees there is someone in there, so they go in. Pretty soon, you have a ball-game.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2019, 04:35:47 PM »
No, but it gives people a reason to spend time in there.

My point is, a new player seeing '0' or even '1' on the map list as compared to '50', or '100' might not be lured (not knowing 50 AI opponents await them on the '0' map). Some vets, as well.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2019, 04:48:36 PM »
My point is, a new player seeing '0' or even '1' on the map list as compared to '50', or '100' might not be lured (not knowing 50 AI opponents await them on the '0' map). Some vets, as well.

Might not, might would.

If it's a genre they enjoy, but seldom are able to (e.g. AvA, Early War, Mid War, WWI) anything you could do to help prime the pump might get the ball rolling.  (mixing metamorphoses.)

(Did I misunderstand you suggesting showing the AI as player count?  I wouldn't do that, if that is what you were getting at.  That would be mildly misleading.  You could put it in the area name like "AI Populated Early War". )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:08:05 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »
(Did I misunderstand you suggesting showing the AI as player count?  I wouldn't do that if that is what you were getting at.  That would be mildly misleading.)

Or leading.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #323 on: April 07, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
Or leading.

It wouldn't bother me, but I know we have players that would throw a fit. 

Maybe the count is split.  "13 Players (50 AI)"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2019, 05:14:34 PM »
It wouldn't bother me, but I know we have players that would throw a fit.
Well, we have players that throw fits, anyway. I'm just saying that how can anyone be lured into a fight with AI (if they are) when they see '0's?

The map #s could even reflect both (0/25/400) players/AI/capacity.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #325 on: April 07, 2019, 05:29:28 PM »
The map #s could even reflect both (0/25/400) players/AI/capacity.

+1. Like it.

:aok

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #326 on: April 07, 2019, 06:59:48 PM »
One AI for one player. Two players don't need AI.

Alternately an AI arena and the regular arena.
You pop in the AI arena and ask if any humans want to fight in the other one.

Alternate 2, War Online:WW1 (with the option to turn off easy flight mode.)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #327 on: April 07, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »

Agreed.  Except...it isn't/wasn't working out that way in the dueling arena, was it?

- oldman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #328 on: April 07, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »

Agreed.  Except...it isn't/wasn't working out that way in the dueling arena, was it?

- oldman

Is it better or worse?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #329 on: April 07, 2019, 11:42:55 PM »
People are looking for the magic bullet fix and then the masses will return.  Unfortunately, there isn't just one fix for the game play.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song