Author Topic: 3D Printed Joystick  (Read 914 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
3D Printed Joystick
« on: March 31, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »
Has anyone tried making replacement parts for any of the sticks? I'm just wondering how effective the various filaments are. I see PETG is available in a nice pink, which might make Spit pilots happy. I'm curious which of the filaments might be better for press fit pots, pinions, and so on. It would have to be strong enough to handle the guys that throw tantrums after they lose their 262 to a power dive and faceplant. I think the electronics would be fairly simple beyond that.

Speak up if you have any experience with PC, PETG, ABS, etc.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: 3D Printed Joystick
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »
There's a sim pilot who makes all kinds of 3d printed parts for sticks, mostly CH and TM so far, but he's expanding and always making request/one off stuff.  He also makes the Hall sensor/3d new printed parts kits for the TM Cougar, and I've got one of my Cougar's done with his stuff (gimbal replacement and sensor kit, both excellent and inexpensive). I'll PM you links out of respect for not posting another game's forum/etc here.  He'll be able to tell you a lot more than I can on the subject.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 04:27:27 PM by Gman »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:25:57 PM »
If you don't mind Gman, could you PM me the link as well?
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
On the way.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:18:10 PM »
 :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 11:37:05 AM »
I've never tried to replicate a joystick part, but you probably want something listed as "high strength", like Nylon or T-Glase.

https://www.lulzbot.com/mini-cura-profiles

Linked to lulzbot's page only because that's the kind of printer I have.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 04:17:18 AM »
I'm going to try polycarbonate. I want to extend the stick of a CH Fighterstick by 12" in order to make fine inputs, and then I also want to make a dual, parallel axis throttle quadrant and perhaps mixture controls. Then maybe I can make a wider rudder base, too. The electronics is fairly straight forward for the throttle, but even if that doesn't work out I can always scavenge a CH throttle quadrant. You never know what you can make, or craft, until you try.