Author Topic: Flying the F-35  (Read 6762 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Flying the F-35
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2019, 06:48:10 PM »
If the 38 got into a flat spin wouldn’t cutting 1 engine off help you recover?

I believe it would stop the spin but you'd still drop straight down. It also helps you rotate a hammerhead. When stalled after a zoom climb you can point the nose anywhere you like.

I made a video about asymmetrical thrust in the AH P-38 if you haven't seen it you can click my youtube link.

There was a really good aviation historian who died flying a P-38 when one engine cut out on him.  His name was Jeff Ethell.  This was in the late 90s, always enjoyed watching him on "Wings".

He was friends with my dad when they both lived in Virginia. I never met him but I have two of his books, one that he signed and his Komet book signed by Rudy Opitz.

Ethell describes using asymmetrical thrust in the coverleaf maneuver, something he heard about from his dad, a P-38 pilot. The description sounds like he's rotating the yaw axis when he gets slow enough at the top of an oblique hammerhead.  Doing this 4 times makes a 4 leaf clover if I understand it correctly.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 07:43:11 PM by FLS »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »
There was a really good aviation historian who died flying a P-38 when one engine cut out on him.  His name was Jeff Ethell.  This was in the late 90s, always enjoyed watching him on "Wings".

He was an idiot, at least in regard to how he died.    Shameful waste of a man and a machine. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
Strange to as the 38 is said to fly fine on one engine. The counter rotating props even helps in this regard. Now I imagine under full power in takeoff configuration it might be a bit much to handle if you did not react quick enough.

Not really.   Handed props (turning outboard) can be a real witch compared to props that rotate inward.     Lots of factors involved that make the former far more deadly than the latter.   

But then again, LeVier and Gardner flew 38s one one engine and did spectacular things.    It’s all about being within the envelope at the end of the day. 
”KILLER V”

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
If we had to vote on the sexiest jet driven plane of all time what would you guys choose?  Random I know.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

- oldman

Nothing like a classic Century Series jet.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2019, 01:16:41 AM »

Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
F-14
:aok DCS released their F-14...incase you didnt know. Complete with AI REO. Also recent post about their 190-a8 in the works  :joystick:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2019, 03:17:54 PM »
He was an idiot, at least in regard to how he died.    Shameful waste of a man and a machine.

I think it was their second or 3rd hop of the day.  He was probably fatigued.  Anyone can get behind the curve when flying a plane.  Better pilots than Jeff have died flying twin engine aircraft with more safety features (think of all the F-14 pilots that have been killed). 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2019, 03:21:32 PM »
I think it was their second or 3rd hop of the day.  He was probably fatigued.  Anyone can get behind the curve when flying a plane.  Better pilots than Jeff have died flying twin engine aircraft with more safety features (think of all the F-14 pilots that have been killed). 

You are probably right. I can’t understand how someone will call someone names being deceased. Jeez talk about lack of respect. I’m sure he was a good man and even better pilot. Shame it happened :salute
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »

He ran out of gas.   No excuse for that.   Doubly so to get fatigued and keep pushing it.    If you're tired stop.   He was also operating illegally. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 03:35:29 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2019, 06:59:06 PM »
You are probably right. I can’t understand how someone will call someone names being deceased. Jeez talk about lack of respect. I’m sure he was a good man and even better pilot. Shame it happened :salute

Fact is, he made a pilot error, exhausted fuel and died as a result.   Agree.  Name calling falls short.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I almost posted the F9F-5.   The bigger tail makes it look better.   Beautiful jet.
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:24 PM »
Fact is, he made a pilot error, exhausted fuel and died as a result.   Agree.  Name calling falls short.

Lack of respect, blah blah blah.   I don’t have to respect anyone who kills themself through stupidity because they let their notoriety convince them they were bulletproof. 

”KILLER V”