Author Topic: VR Motion Sickness and Motion Platforms  (Read 671 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
VR Motion Sickness and Motion Platforms
« on: April 05, 2019, 09:50:51 PM »
Motion platforms add a lot of immersion to VR. You don't need full motion, just enough to feel a change in orientation. It's great for driving sims since you don't roll inverted as often but it works well for flight sims that support it, even without neg G. For sims that don't support it the motion platform can follow the joystick movement, and it's fun for flying around, but doesn't work as well for fighting as the motion following the aircraft attitude. In helicopter sims it's helped me a lot because you can feel if you're balanced in a hover.

Motion is relatively expensive for a game accessory but it has a couple of advantages besides the fun factor.

Sitting still for long periods of time is unhealthy. Reacting to the motion seat lets you be more active while sitting.

Motion sickness often stems from the difference between what you see and what you feel. Motion seats can help. If you like VR but always suffer from motion sickness, adding motion to your seat might help.
https://uxplanet.org/motion-sickness-in-vr-3fa8a78216e2

I use this one. You don't need the whole setup just the base and a seat that you can bolt on.
https://www.ricmotech.com/Next_Level_Racing_Motion_Platform_p/nlr-gtump3.htm

I don't know how much work the software interface would be for Hitech but it would expose AHIII to some fanatical gamers and it might be fun and useful for Hitech.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
Re: VR Motion Sickness and Motion Platforms
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 09:18:20 AM »
Any chance of getting a pic of how you got your pedals and stick mounted. Believe it or not I have looked at a few of these to add to my setup. But get thwarted because with out building a whole base the stick and pedals ride on with the seat it seems pointless. As this has become my only real hobby now a days as I’m tied to a 10 mile sector seven days a week I wouldn’t mind having a set up like this.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:34:37 AM »
My stick and throttle are mounted on the seat frame. I have the stick center mounted with an extension. I can also do a side mount like the throttle. The wheel for driving is off in the picture and you can see the driving pedals behind the flight pedals.
The flight pedals are held with velcro on the base plate and the stick and pedals are removed for driving. I can switch from flying to driving in a minute without getting out of the seat. The wheel and pedals are not mounted on the seat and that sort of replaces the missing g loads with stretching and compressing. It also reduces the weight the seat has to move. I picked this motion base because it was the smallest and quietest. Like VR it doesn't replicate reality but for flying and driving race cars it adds LOL fun and it fixed some motion sickness in Dirt Rally. If Hitech supported this you could have FFB in the seat for stall buffet etc.  :aok

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »
That’s freaking awesome man. Thanks.

See I was thinking of having the controls mounted to the seat. But then I worried all the moving with the wires would mess up the connectors. Then I thought with them not mounted to the seat I couldn’t reach them.

YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME THANKS A TON AND LOOKS GOOD

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »
I have an obbuta flight sim chair now I assume that will work. But also have a roccaro speed shift seat also.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »
You want the HOTAS moving with the seat for better control, I haven't tried the wheel mounted with the seat, it's fine where it is, and the pedals not moving isn't an issue at all.

If you can't mount the HOTAS to the seat then something like a plywood sheet could mount the seat to the base and stick out on the sides for the stick and throttle. Make sure the stuff that moves won't hit or crush anything.

For now AH doesn't support it so all you get is the seat moves with the stick, which is still fun. In other sims it's amazing.