Author Topic: Maps too big  (Read 971 times)

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
Maps too big
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
Maps are generally too big. The smaller ones are great fun but get won/lost very quickly. The big boring maps hang around for days.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Maps too big
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:19:50 AM »
Are you asking for medium size maps that don't get won quickly but don't stay for days?

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »
IMHO Ndisles and Smpizza are good maps that fit  that description

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 02:08:46 PM »
Today all MA terrains are 10x10 sectors. When you say small and big, are you describing how the bases and GV spawns are laid out to facilitate or interfere with bringing groups of players together quickly or scatter them about? NDisles is an AH1 design for 400 players on a small map. Smpizza was someone trying to recreate the canyon map from AH1 as a 10x10 instead of a 20x20, the base placements on it and NDisles are for 400+ players. Probably why Waffle swapped out those two island vbases for small airfields to promote quick air action.

You gents are very bad at explaining why you think one map or another is "too big" when they are all 10x10. On my terrains I keep all the feilds inside of a 6-8 sector diameter area placing as many airfields as possible the minimum distance apart by the MA terrain building rules for faster air travel turn around times. I also use a minimum of vbases relying on the vehicle hanger at airfields to help concentrate GV players with air combat players. One of the reasons my maps often get flipped quickly. Too many vbases take up to 1\2 of the available players out of the capture the flag activity and turn maps into ghost towns. Some of the old school maps for 400+ players often have too many vbases which a decade ago the GV game was just getting going and all those vbases were to give them some love while getting them out of the air combat players hair. The other problem with the old school maps is the airfields are placed at the maximum distance which was fine with 400+ and those huge hoards back then. Now we need airfields closer and fewer vbases to bring them all togehter playing capture the flag so people experience having numbers to play with and feel good about the game.

Also after USA peak time any map will seem too big with less than 70 players on it. If this is the real problem becasue your play time is outside of prime time, try wishlisting for off prime time when numbers drop to some point a 5x5 sector map gets loaded and the previous 10x10 with it's capture state saved, is reloaded like at 12:00 noon the next day. I seem to remember during AH2 Hitech put something like that in rotation. I think the AvA team has a 5x5 in the can they could re-engineer for an MA 3 country 5x5 faster than me clipping out some part of one of my terrains. I'm building a 4th one now for the MA and kind of busy with it.

A 5x5 during off prime time will get rolled by three guys in an hour or two just becasue it can be done that fast. Hitech would need more than a few or disable map winning during that time period.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2019, 02:21:56 PM »
Today all MA terrains are 10x10 sectors. When you say small and big, are you describing how the bases and GV spawns are laid out to facilitate or interfere with bringing groups of players together quickly or scatter them about? NDisles is an AH1 design for 400 players on a small map. Smpizza was someone trying to recreate the canyon map from AH1 as a 10x10 instead of a 20x20, the base placements on it and NDisles are for 400+ players. Probably why Waffle swapped out those two island vbases for small airfields to promote quick air action.

You gents are very bad at explaining why you think one map or another is "too big" when they are all 10x10. On my terrains I keep all the feilds inside of a 6-8 sector diameter area placing as many airfields as possible the minimum distance apart by the MA terrain building rules for faster air travel turn around times. I also use a minimum of vbases relying on the vehicle hanger at airfields to help concentrate GV players with air combat players. One of the reasons my maps often get flipped quickly. Too many vbases take up to 1\2 of the available players out of the capture the flag activity and turn maps into ghost towns. Some of the old school maps for 400+ players often have too many vbases which a decade ago the GV game was just getting going and all those vbases were to give them some love while getting them out of the air combat players hair. The other problem with the old school maps is the airfields are placed at the maximum distance which was fine with 400+ and those huge hoards back then. Now we need airfields closer and fewer vbases to bring them all togehter playing capture the flag so people experience having numbers to play with and feel good about the game.

Also after USA peak time any map will seem too big with less than 70 players on it. If this is the real problem becasue your play time is outside of prime time, try wishlisting for off prime time when numbers drop to some point a 5x5 sector map gets loaded and the previous 10x10 with it's capture state saved, is reloaded like at 12:00 noon the next day. I seem to remember during AH2 Hitech put something like that in rotation. I think the AvA team has a 5x5 in the can they could re-engineer for an MA 3 country 5x5 faster than me clipping out some part of one of my terrains. I'm building a 4th one now for the MA and kind of busy with it.

A 5x5 during off prime time will get rolled by three guys in an hour or two just becasue it can be done that fast. Hitech would need more than a few or disable map winning during that time period.

I really like the idea of switching the maps to small 5x5 maps during the EU prime time. I think that would be between 3AM est to 9AM est. Would probably add some variety. I'm sure there will always be people who don't like it because they were winning their current map at the time..not sure how hard it would be to bring the map from before back up at the position. I think you could still make a pretty decent but compact map with a 5x5 just to give it a shot. When I'm on about 1AM PST, the #s range in the teens for each side. A smaller compact map would engage the players a lot more.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 03:48:47 PM »
Hitech used to do something like this back in AH2 but not with a 5x5x.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:23 AM »
Wish List?????
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes