Author Topic: Electric Beaver  (Read 882 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Electric Beaver
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
I didn't realize that the technology had gotten this far https://www.harbourair.com/harbour-air-and-magnix-partner-to-build-worlds-first-all-electric-airline/

I have said if there were a reasonably priced electric trainer for Sunday flying I would sign up.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Electric Beaver
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
Based on the thread title, I was expecting something very, very, different.  :devil
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
yeah, it seems like these days everything is a euphemism even "Sunday flying"
Pies not kicks.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:49:30 PM »
What false advertisement. They are not zero carbon. So moronic.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 04:36:03 PM »
I didn't see the part about zero carbon. I just think it would be a nice alternative to light piston, no oil or gasoline and fewer parts to break. I do wonder what happens when a large battery back hits the ground in a survivable crash.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 09:15:25 PM »
What a letdown, I was expecting the "other" kind of electric beaver

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 09:50:06 PM »
I didn't see the part about zero carbon. I just think it would be a nice alternative to light piston, no oil or gasoline and fewer parts to break. I do wonder what happens when a large battery back hits the ground in a survivable crash.

In the linked story...

Harbour Air first demonstrated its commitment to sustainability by becoming the first fully carbon-neutral airline in North America in 2007, through the purchase of carbon offsets,” said Greg McDougall, founder and CEO of Harbour Air Seaplanes
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »
I thought this would be about the Eflite, Flyzone, or the GWS DHC-2. My head is not in the gutter like some others.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 12:03:29 AM »
I'm thinking the "other" kind of electric beaver might be quite painful.
Pies not kicks.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:36 AM »
Based on the thread title, I was expecting something very, very, different.  :devil
:aok What is wrong with us!? I knew I liked you for a reason!  :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 01:43:41 AM »
:aok Hopefully you are talking about the "Toothless" kind :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 05:20:07 AM »
Extreme clickbait headline  :D
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
How long do lithium ion batteries really last? I'm not talking flight time, I'm talking continual use.  It wasn't too long ago that after the first year, they lost half of their capacity.  Has a dramatic change in longevity occurred?
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
It's not about the batteries but, about a zero carbon initiative Vancouver recently dropped due to much of their revenue coming from tourism run by hydrocarbon based fuel tour companies. It's cheaper per ton to run tour ships on good old fashioned fuel becasue nothing else can move tons over water like hydrocarbons. Read the company bio for the engine and you will see they moved from Australia to Redmond and targeted Vancouver becasue of the zero carbon initiative. Which the Mayor who is a global warming worshiper had to concede it would severely impact the tourist industry, probably her future as the mayor. Carbon offsets is the give away.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 04:57:50 PM »
Pipe dream. Remember max takeoff weight versus max landing weight? That's going to cut into max useful load since the batteries will not change mass. LiPo is obviously a terrible idea, so . . . they're HOPING for a new solution to come through investments into research.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.