Author Topic: IS VR BROKEN?!  (Read 5434 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: IS VR BROKEN?!
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
Why do you think Hitech hasn't already done everything he can do?

Why do you think he has already done everything he can do?

What we actually do know is the OP had a problem that he eventually solved after taking extensive measures to try to solve it.  His frustration was tangible.  Imagine what a new player would have done.  I doubt he would have put the effort in.

There is more that could and should be done.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2019, 03:56:58 PM »
Imagine what a new player would have done. ...

I imagine he would have taken my advice the first day and saved himself a lot of frustration.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
I imagine he would have taken my advice the first day and saved himself a lot of frustration.

How about the new player is not put in that position in the first place.  Wouldn’t that be a better option?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »
How about the new player is not put in that position in the first place.  Wouldn’t that be a better option?

When that rare hypothetical player has a problem we will provide the appropriate hypothetical solution.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »
When that rare hypothetical player has a problem we will provide the appropriate hypothetical solution.

There is nothing hypothetical here.  HTC has stated in the past that he has no problems attracting new sign ups to the game, the issue is keeping them longer than 20 minutes.  Therefore, a new player is not hypothetical.

When you do a fresh install of AH it finds connected controllers and assigns commands to some of those controllers.  On occasion this leads to conflicts.  Example.  Every fresh install I have ever done the game picks up my Fanatec Clubsport pedals and assigns 'Fire all guns' to the throttle pedal.  When I launch the game I sit on the runway guns blazing and then remember I have to go unmap it.

There is nothing hypothetical about that.

I have seen new players spawn in and sit on the runway with their guns blazing.  I assume they have had a similar experience with some controller being mapped.

There is nothing hypothetical about that.

These are facts.  They happen and can be repeated.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2019, 06:50:30 PM »
You think I said new players are hypothetical?  :D

Hitech looked at the mapping issue and recently added more controller configurations.

Your own example illustrates the problem with multiple controllers.

Try unplugging the controllers you aren't using when you set up the game.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2019, 09:17:48 PM »
You think I said new players are hypothetical?  :D

That is exactly what you said in your post at 05:13:32.  You even quoted my reference to that new player.

How about the new player is not put in that position in the first place.  Wouldn't that be a better option?

Seems pretty clear to me that you did refer to new players as hypothetical.

Hitech looked at the mapping issue and recently added more controller configurations.

I think he is going down the wrong route by trying to add more controller configurations.  As you have already stated, it would be impossible to cater for every mix of controllers.

Your own example illustrates the problem with multiple controllers.

Agreed.  Hence my belief that adding more controller configs is not the way to go.

Try unplugging the controllers you aren't using when you set up the game.

That is an option however it is not the preferred option for me.  Of course the problem is that a new player would not know to unplug their controllers prior to setting up the game so the end result is the same, they have inappropriate or conflicting mappings.

For me the most practical method would be to not have any pre determined mappings and direct the player to set up their controllers as part of the post installation start up routine.  That way the player is engaged in the setting up of their controls and Hitech does not have to keep adding controller configurations.

iRacing does this quite well. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
The rare new player who has the same problem as the OP is not the same as "every new player". Context matters.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »
The OP had a conflicting controller issue.  That is not uncommon.

You are now simply arguing for the sake of arguing. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
The OP's problem was different because he couldn't look at the controller setup for conflicts. That's unusual.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
The OP's problem was different because he couldn't look at the controller setup for conflicts. That's unusual.

There is nothing stopping the OP from looking at his controller setup for conflicts, he simply answers no to the pop up asking if he wants to use his VR and the game will open in a normal windows environment.  You suggested something similar which will revert AH to normal windows view.  IMHO that is one of the best things HTC did with VR as takin your headset off does not mean you need to exit the game.

It may be something was mapped by the installation. Take off the headset and go full screen and you should be able to see your settings.

Notwithstanding that, my point was that he would not have to check for conflicts if the game itself did not auto assign attributes to controllers but invited the user to configure detected controllers after initial install.  This is not about if HTC can create default maps for controllers but more about if he should.  My opinion is it is better that the game recognises the controllers and invites the user to configure them.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2019, 08:15:53 AM »
Obviously if nothing is mapped nothing will be mapped wrong. I assume HTC's many years experience with customer controller issues tells them that mapping the controllers is better than not mapping them.

Players with HOTAS are likely more used to setting them up and need less help than new players with only a joystick.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2019, 09:43:55 AM »
Players with HOTAS are likely more used to setting them up and need less help than new players with only a joystick.

For what I've noticed, a single joystick gets the most essential axises and buttons right even if there's no preset. X, Y, Z and Slider are logical, button #1 is always the primary weapon trigger and the 8 way hat is for viewing. Supposedly someone having invested into VR would have a little more complicated controller set as well with several XYZ's and sliders. Knowing that even with a single stick people have their preferences for setup, preconfiguring every potential combination of controllers is a mission impossible. For example if you have a twisty stick, a throttle with a rocker and pedals, which of the three should be assigned for rudder? The T.16000M Flight Pack has all of those it's not only about systems gathered from here and there.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »
Same thing happens with the Vive, btw.

I just got a  TWCS and went to try it and my VR was fubar. Then I remembered this thread.

I'm glad Wingnutt went through this pain for me.   :D

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:11:50 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2019, 08:36:01 PM »
I wonder if the game sees it as the old Thrustmaster TWCS that plugged into the Cougar instead of the new stand alone throttle. Weird that it doesn't happen with anything else.