Author Topic: Forced to Update Oculus Rift, now no sound  (Read 785 times)

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
Forced to Update Oculus Rift, now no sound
« on: December 18, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »
I was prompted and forced to update the Oculus Rift Drivers and now there is no sound in AH3.  I have not been able to figure out why.  Other games using the Rift have sounds.  Any advise?

Muttman

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
Re: Forced to Update Oculus Rift, now no sound
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 01:01:14 AM »
I would double check all of your windows default sound setting and also all of the game settings.  After mine updated I had some weird sound problems that ended up just being that it changed my default devices

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
I was prompted and forced to update the Oculus Rift Drivers and now there is no sound in AH3.  I have not been able to figure out why.  Other games using the Rift have sounds.  Any advise?

Muttman

During the course of my attempting to figure out things I lost sounds to everything on my PC.  After some trial and error and without knowing exactly what I did, I was able to get sound back to the PC.  When launching AH3 I get the opening credits music but once in game and ready to roll still no sounds.

Can someone that uses oculus rift please take a screen shot of the sound preferences page so that I can mirror that?  Hopefully that can clear things up.

Mutt

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 09:58:47 AM »
Ok, first of all let me explain the book "Computers for Dummies" would be way over my head regarding this stuff.  With that said, the sound is working for now.  I dont know what I did to get it working.  I would still like a screenshot of an oculus sound preferences.  Keeping my fingers crossed from here forward. 

Mutt

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
Assuming you have Win10. Whenever anything stops working reboot Win10 before you do anything else.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
While you have the head set on, go into Options/Pref /sound And make sure the oculus is selected as your output sound device.

HiTech

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 07:07:10 AM »
I am having the same issue.

I Open AH from Desktop, asks me if I want to use occulus, click yes and game music begins. But then Occulus lobby opens in my headset and I can't get back to AH. So then I opened Occulus first, then launched AH from my desktop, But no music or sounds.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
Looks like the updated Oculus driver is seen as a new device. My sound preferences in AH3 were changed to 'oculus virtual audio device' after the oculus driver and firmware updates.

I use a separate headset with the Oculus S so I just changed my settings back to my headphones.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
Ok, for me RIFTS and Windows 10....After an update I now have as options:audio devices(in windows) Headphones vritual audio device AND Headphones 2-rift s...I had to run Headphones 2-rift s....as the Virtual device setting didnt work in AH3........I also now have several different audio device options in AH3 as well. I have Under Speaker Layout- use windows config...under Speakers-Headphones(2-Rift S), not the Oculus Virtual. Under Headset I have same selected---2- Rift S. Under micro phone there are 3 for Oculus and 2 for Logitec ,I use my Logitec Microphone as Rift cuts off sometimes? Like mutes microphone and havent tracked down the issue yet. I also have an "Microphone (Logitec USB Headset[loop back]),an Headphones(Oculus Virtual audio device[loop back]) and an Headset Microphone (Rift S)and an Headphones (2-Rift S[loop back]). I use the  Microphone(Logitec USB Headset) option.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 05:51:01 AM »
I had the same problem with the sound. Here is what I ended up doing.
Bought a nice set of gaming headphones.
Removed the Oculus headphones from my Rift headset

Disabled the Oculus  headset IN THE WINDOWS SOUND SETTINGS. I did this by right clikcing the speaker in btm right of desktop then clicked "sound", then clicked the "playback" tab, scrolled down to rift headset and clicked disable.

I plugged in my new gaming headset to the back of my tower just like you would for playing non vr games.Then back to the sound "playback" tab and enable the gaming he3adset.

Go into your Oculus settings in Oculus home anhd change audio to "windows default" and do the same in Aces High preferences. Then you are right as rain..

In fact I get better audio quality now..

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 05:12:52 AM »
Solution to my problems....Disable/unplug all other Mics/Headsets before Starting AH! So far so good
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 03:38:44 PM »
i also recently had this issue after an oculus update.
worked fine until the update, then no sound.

tried everything, reinstalled drivers ect.

solution was to remove the face foam and unplug the audio jack on the right side of the headset and replug it in.
this seemed to fix the issue for me.

i guess its possible the plug came undone a bit, but i dont see how. and it didnt mess up until right at the update.

so just something to try.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »
Oculus added a driver that doesn't provide sound in AH3. Just set the sound option in AH3 back to the other sound driver you were using before.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 05:38:16 PM »
Yeah I've noticed the last couple of oculus updates have scrambled my sound devices. Gotta keep tabs on em apparently. I have OBS recordings of FSO that have video and only the sound from my mic because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group